RC poster

Red/green blinking with Lipo batteries.

Hi.

I recently bought a used E Revo VXL for my son. We have had some funny days with it since he got it. But yesterday something strange happened. We was out playing with it when it suddenly stopped. The steering seemed to work fine, but no speed either way. I took of the bodywork, and I could see that the Esc was blinking red/green. I then just believed the batteries was dead, so I took it home and recharged them (2 x Lipo 3S/11.1v 25C). And yesterday evening we tested it again and all good.

But today the same thing happened after just 5 min of driving. I tried to recharge, but Esc is stil blinking red/green. I have to unplug the batteries to make it stop. This car have Lipo batteries, so all the articles about NiMh batteries and Low voltage didn`t help me. I have also tries to unplug the servo, but the blinking still occurs.

Help anyone?

RC poster
    Help anyone? ��

RC Enthusiast
    Still sounds like an issue with low voltage detection.. My Slash does that and I'll have to reset it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Hos did you reset it?

RC Champion
    25c is not good enough for 3 cell, even in parallel. If you gear down a bunch (throw a 16t pinion on there) it might work. You are just pulling too many amps and it's going to stage 2 lvc... you could also just try running in training mode, it will still be pretty quick on 3 cells...

The real fix though, is to get better batteries. I would go with a pair of 2 cell packs in parallel... If you stick with 3 cell, you need the best packs you can get.
    Dacaur

RC poster
    Thanks for the hjelp. 😀 So you think that is the reason why it stoped? It worked very good before is suddenly stopped. Is there a reset metod? And do you have some batteries to recommand?

RC Enthusiast
    What gearing are you running the 3s pack with? Running a 3 cell lipo produces a lot of heat. It sounds like your esc went into thermal shutdown.

I believe the 3m speed controllers go into thermal protection mode at 180F. If it is as hot in your area as it is where I live this time of year you may have hit that temperature in 5 minutes of driving and that is why it shut off.

You probably just need to adjust your gearing. That said, running in the grass on 3s in the summer you will have a very hard time not overheating.

RC Qualifier
    I must have had a moment with a bit of cash in the bank as my MERV's powered with a pair of 3S MaxAmps batteries.
    Just charging up now - nearly complete. One's on 12.60V, the other's on 12.59V but is 4 minutes behind - reckon that's pretty good going after perhaps 4 years' use!

Al.

RC Racer
    Red and green blinking is the over voltage protection kicking in. Two 3s wired in series is the issue.
    You can use two 7 cell nimh or two 2s in series but not two 3s

You cannot use two 2S in series, that would be equivalent to 4S voltage. Personally I would just not use the series adaptor. It is asking for a meltdown.
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

RC Champion
    I doubt the op is using a series adapter, since he is using 3 cell packs and says it was working then stopped.... It is odd that it flashing over voltage though ... perhaps a problem with the esc...
    Dacaur

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    25c is not good enough for 3 cell, even in parallel. If you gear down a bunch (throw a 16t pinion on there) it might work. You are just pulling too many amps and it's going to stage 2 lvc... you could also just try running in training mode, it will still be pretty quick on 3 cells...

The real fix though, is to get better batteries. I would go with a pair of 2 cell packs in parallel... If you stick with 3 cell, you need the best packs you can get.
    Sure 25C is enough when running the stock VXL system. A Traxxas 25C, 3S pack will easily power the stock ESC and motor.

RC Champion
    It will power it, but you won't get optimum performance. You will get significantly less speed than you would with better batteries, you will get less run time (you will hit LVC sooner) and the packs wont last as long. Doing it with just a single pack will magnify those downsides....
    Dacaur

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have run all three of my 1/16th Traxxas vehicles on a Traxxas 25C, 3S pack and all three ran just fine. In fact I prefer the one pack to two packs as the vehicle is noticeably lighter and therefore handles better. But, will two, 25C 3S Traxxas packs connected in parallel hold voltage better under load when running the stock system? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Is the performance difference negligible? Yes. Is it worth worrying about? NO!

RC Champion
    For just bashing, other than needing to be a little more carefully on the throttle, there is little difference between 2 and 3 cell. That's why I dont get people who bash with 3 cells.

However, for top speed, take a single 25c 3 cell pack, and put it against a pair of good quality high C rated 3 cell packs in parallel, and you can easily get a 20mph difference, plus a huge difference in the ending temperature of the packs, as well as lifespan.

If top speed isn't the goal, then why not just go with 2 cell's? Yes, you can drive a three cell truck at two cell speeds, but then, you can also do that with a 2 cell truck, without having to worry about sending up on your lid if you twitch your finger the wrong way....

To each his own I guess, I just assume people running 3 cells are all about speed...
    Dacaur

A Traxxas 25C pack, whether 2S or 3S, will power the stock mini E-Revo VXL motor system just fine. If by "optimal" you are referring to the last 1/10% of performance, then I'd agree. But I'd also argue that the weight of an extra battery far and away negates performance advantages. Like Jakey, I've used the vehicle both ways, and I believe overall a single-battery configuration is better in this light model.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =