RC Racer

Breaking in new 2.5 engine glow plug question ?

I am following the traxxas manual for the break in of a new 2.5engine with new carberator also installed new header pipe with factory resonator because the truck had upgraded exhaust so the first tank went no problem on the second tank the first plug burnt up so I didn't have any spares on me so after a couple days I started the second tank over again the 2 nd plug lasted the 2 nd tank then blew on my third plug which has lasted the 3 rd and 4 th tank my question is how many plugs is normal during the break on ?

One .
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Even traxxas says you will go through plugs during break in just wanted to know by expierence on here how many people have used

RC Racer
    Has anyone gone through this ?

Nope only used 1 here
    "Drive it like you stole it"

RC Enthusiast
    I used one glow plug for my whole 1st gallon of fuel. The 2nd gallon of fuel i went thru 4 glow plugs.

RC Competitor
    You're probably running too rich if you're going through that many glow plugs. Yes, it is normal to go through one or two plugs during like a 10 tank break in. Check if your needles are set to factory.. But even factory is rich.. What brand and type of plugs are you using? OS plugs have lasted the longest for me.
    P2de VXL
    T-Maxx Classic
    Rusty SW3

RC Racer
    I am using traxxas 3232x plugs . Should I set the hsn to 4 turns out or 4 1/2 ? Also the temp outside has been in the high 80-95 range with high humidity could this be affecting things ?
    Last edited by Antnand78; 07-06-2016 at 03:40 PM.

RC Competitor
    For break in, the HSN is supposed to be 4 turns out. For the plug, I would try an OS LC3 plug. From what I understand, when it is hot out, you should run leaner.. but you also need to run richer to help the engine cool . So id say just stick with the factory carb settings for the break in procedure. Also, make sure the LSN is flush!
    Last edited by Booins; 07-06-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    P2de VXL
    T-Maxx Classic
    Rusty SW3

RC poster
    Is your engine overheating too? Watch the temps, if it overheats your almost 100% guaranteed to lose a glow plug.

RC Racer
    What's an overheating temp for these engines the highest it's been is 250

RC poster
    That's low. If you get into the 300's its too hot.
    Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3

Traxxas Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    Ok good I was hoping it was getting to hot gonna wait till it cools off a bit I have to swap out the brake In it then I will wait for cooler weather I was running it when it was in the 9os out and very high humidity