RC Racer

Excessive motor temps - 13/54 Velineon VXL-3 set up

I am trying to figure out how to keep the motor from running to hot. I am running the stock gearing at 13/54 with the brushless Velineon VXL-3 ESC on 2.8 Trenchers. I have the Traxxas fan on the ESC and I have the dual Integy motor fan but running 3S (5200 mah 50C) it is still getting hot to the point where the ESC will shut down. shouldn't it be able to handle the current set up or am I going to have to drop the pinion gear (that will suck). On 2S it appears to run without issue.

13/54 is too high a hearing for 2.8. I would go down to a 12 or 11 tooth pinion.
    Too much power is just enough

RC Qualifier
    Go to a 11 tooth. That's what I run and have no issues. I'm also not running lipos(yet). Why would changing the pinion suck? They are cheap and easy to change.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    Go to a 11 tooth. That's what I run and have no issues. I'm also not running lipos(yet). Why would changing the pinion suck? They are cheap and easy to change.
    I like the speed and torque combination of the 13 tooth, 11 was where I was at and with 2 teeth there is a noticeable difference in top end speed and still able to pull the wheels up from just over half throttle to full throttle. But if I have to go back down guess it is what it is until I decide to upgrade the motor/esc.

check all of your bearings, some are probably darn near toast - you would be surprised how many times someone has blamed gearing only to find a toast motor mount bearing, or diff bearing or wheel bearing --- myself included (has happened on 4 occasions now)

ive learned to always suspect bearings first...if there fine then look at something else ... i dont remember overheating when i ran 13/54 and 2.8 trenchers...however its not unbearably hot where i am

but in the end it might also be gearing or terrain, i would overheat on grass for sure as i am lcg and was dragging - just saying you should probably check the bearings
    Last edited by whitie_bear; 07-05-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Running 3s with a stock velineon in a 4wd is going to get hot know mater what you do.
    2.8" trenchers while I'm not sure how much wider the overall diameter is then stocks are like going up a couple teeth in the pinion.
    That is a 2s setup in that rig from the start, 3s should be used for speed runs and such.
    While a lot of this is my opinion the forum thread list of 3s killed my stock vxl-3 system is long.
    My neighbor has been beating the snot out of his stock setup on 2s for about a year know and it has yet to give him an issue.
    The fans are about worthless except helping the motor cool while the truck isn't moving, the heat sink it self isn't much better but getting some heat-sink compound between it and the motor will help a lot.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    It's really a challenge to run 3s on the stock electronics without getting into heat issues. With 2.8 Trenchers & 3s I don't think dropping back to an 11 tooth pinion will be enough, but it all depends how you run your truck. Are you using a temp gun to check motor temps as well? The ESC will shut down when temps get too high but the motor will run as hot as you let it get (not good). It sounds to me like you are a candidate for an upgrade to 8th scale electronics, maybe give that some consideration as it will make your temp issues go away.

^^^^ i had this setup didnt seem to overheat much ---- i did overheat, i also didnt notice when my wheel bearings had gone until i heard a dingling while slow driving...it was the bearing race jingle jangling on my teckno driveshaft

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by whitie_bear View Post
    check all of your bearings, some are probably darn near toast - you would be surprised how many times someone has blamed gearing only to find a toast motor mount bearing, or diff bearing or wheel bearing --- myself included (has happened on 4 occasions now)

ive learned to always suspect bearings first...if there fine then look at something else ... i dont remember overheating when i ran 13/54 and 2.8 trenchers...however its not unbearably hot where i am

but in the end it might also be gearing or terrain, i would overheat on grass for sure as i am lcg and was dragging - just saying you should probably check the bearings
    I don't think this is the issue, I just did a conversion from a Stampede to a Slash LCG MT and during the build replaced all of the bearings. But this is something I will make sure I check on a semi regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Running 3s with a stock velineon in a 4wd is going to get hot know mater what you do.
    2.8" trenchers while I'm not sure how much wider the overall diameter is then stocks are like going up a couple teeth in the pinion.
    That is a 2s setup in that rig from the start, 3s should be used for speed runs and such.
    While a lot of this is my opinion the forum thread list of 3s killed my stock vxl-3 system is long.
    My neighbor has been beating the snot out of his stock setup on 2s for about a year know and it has yet to give him an issue.
    The fans are about worthless except helping the motor cool while the truck isn't moving, the heat sink it self isn't much better but getting some heat-sink compound between it and the motor will help a lot.
    The Integy fans are almost worthless but I figured two of them moving some air was better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    It's really a challenge to run 3s on the stock electronics without getting into heat issues. With 2.8 Trenchers & 3s I don't think dropping back to an 11 tooth pinion will be enough, but it all depends how you run your truck. Are you using a temp gun to check motor temps as well? The ESC will shut down when temps get too high but the motor will run as hot as you let it get (not good). It sounds to me like you are a candidate for an upgrade to 8th scale electronics, maybe give that some consideration as it will make your temp issues go away.
    I do need to get a temp gun, been fighting it but I think it is time. I was hoping to be able to run for a few months before upgrading the motor/esc but looks like I am shopping this weekend. then I guess running it when it was 104 temps outside will heat it up some also. So maybe back to 11 tooth pinion till the weekend.

RC Qualifier
    Wonder if you could split it and find a 12 tooth or put a bigger spur gear if they make them
    Last edited by tallj2000; 07-05-2016 at 04:36 PM.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasfan21 View Post
    13/54 is too high a hearing for 2.8. I would go down to a 12 or 11 tooth pinion.

especially running 3s...... you are basically maxxing out the system

your probably right about the bearings ... but now a days i never trust those darn bearings, sucks buying a 1/8th system when your issue was a bearing...well it doesnt suck its actually quite awesome but my bank isnt digging it lol

on a side note, my friend was running 18/54 3s (max amps lipo) on his stock system...went into over temp protection twice in about a hour on stock sized wheels ... 15C outside (60F) we were racing/chasing cars on a road hahaha so they were kind of speed runs. Just saying the stock system does like to overheat, but on 3s i was surprised at the abuse it did take

RC poster
    I keep my stock motor cool with that same heatsink setup but you need to use thermal paste (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045JCFLY..._oTsFxb7PN3F7G)

Second i ran the esc fan off of a seconday small 300mah 2s battery. The reason was the fan would slow as the motor was in use... likely a sign of another issue but it worked great for many months. Running this setup keep every cool maybe too cool on 3s.

Sadly i got dirt/sand in my motor 2weeks ago so i just this weekend upgraded to cc mmx 2650k setup. God lord is it nice and my batteries seem to last forever now (25-50%). Money is hard to come by but the effort to keep the stock sysem running seems almost wasted once you go 1/8.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

thats the paste i use as well, got it from the PC parts store - i run the integy dual fan and esc fan ... those fans will die on you so i would suggest buying some extra 30 mm x7 mm 6volt fans (thats the size for the fan in the traxxas ESC fan kit, and the integy dual fan setup)

its also easier and cheaper to find 30mm x 10 mm 6 volt fans you just need longer screws (it wont fit in the traxxes ESC fan holder though)

I still have the integy heat sink (with above mentioned eBay china fans) but i upgraded to a tenshock SC 401 V2 3400 kv motor (1/8th) & hobbywing WP SC8 ESC combo - cost 125 USD shipped for the combo - brand new ... 5i-hoby88 is who i bought from - first ESC burnt up in smoke 15 mins in, took 2 months but i got a new one on warranty and no problems since
    Last edited by whitie_bear; 07-06-2016 at 11:25 AM.

RC Racer
    The 2.8 trenchers are much larger and wider then stock. This can cause a lot of overheating issues. Also like others have stated, tall grass will cause overheating. You can upgrade the motor mount to king headz or hot racing that are aluminum they can draw heat from motor, also traxxas and hot racing make a motor mount that are aluminum, the hot racing has fins on it to help draw heat out from motor and are also aluminum. I have used trenchers since my second week of owing my slash and pede 4x4's and gearing down and adding the above mentioned upgrades have helped however if you run 2 3s packs back to back your only choice is to run 1/8 systems with lower kv and then you can gear up to get the speed and torque.

out4fun

RC poster
    King headz motor mount do draw a lot of heat away. A must have in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk