Thread: GTR shocks

RC Qualifier

GTR shocks

How well do they hold up jumping? Last time I had a slash I used Losi SCTEN shocks and they worked good. I was thinking going GTR this time if they hold up. Will more than likely use Losi springs. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death lol but my searchfu is weak tonight. I have the HCG and want to keep the ride height the same or higher than the stock shocks.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

I run the gtrs with Losi black springs 2.8 trenchers running a CC2650
    Sticks well and will pull all wheelies ballooned out under. Full control
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I use the blue shocks all the way around. I have also found that the xxlong spring fit better on the front shocks
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

RC Qualifier
    How well do they handle jumping and big air landings? I worry they may bottom out to easy.

Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    How well do they handle jumping and big air landings? I worry they may bottom out to easy.
    If that's your need, pick up a set of vorza 97mm for the front, much bigger for those landings....GTRs work well, but right at their limits
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

i bash hard with a ultimate (came with GTR shocks) and have had some insane drops etc. - will it handle the drops, yes and no - i have never broken a part...wait i take that back i have broken 1 lower spring perch (my fault hit a tree) and bent a shaft that i bent back (also a collision issue) - never had a top pop off, and never leaked on me

RC Qualifier
    I'm not going to go to insane. Five foot drops maybe. My stampede will take the bigger jumps lol. Maybe I will try these with the xxlong front springs. My slash already has the 2.8 trenchers for a little extra ground clearance.

RC Qualifier
    Oh and can you use shocks other than the ones for the slash? Can I use one for a stampede or revo to gain a little height increase for instance

i should mention im lcg with 2.8 wheels as well - springs your left with a small range of traxxas and a decent range of losi springs

someone else can comment on that question but the vorza shocks are the best - there for a hpi vehicle i beleive but now that everyone knows that slash users love them, they're up to $100+ for a full set

RC Qualifier
    I have the HCG chassis. I was thinking of putting the Vorzas on my Stampede. It sees more air then my Slash. I'm going to be using Losi springs no matter what shock I use on the Slash. I have always like there springs better.

RC Racer
    My now Slash (LCG MT) started out originally as a Stampede. I do have Vorza shocks on it and they are night and day from stock and the Proline's. I highly recommend them and they can be found on EBay for little over $70 shipped.

RC Qualifier
    When you put them on the Stampede did you have to get front and rears or are they all the same length?

RC Racer
    I got front and rears, the guy I ordered them from on EBay already had them packaged up as a set. The rears have a different spring than the front. Some guys are running all orange springs and some like all grey springs. I don't know if there is a benefit or not. There are quite a few people that have added them, I think GeneralPede01 has them and Briber on the Stampede forum also has added them.

Here is the link I got mine from.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Vorza-Th...item2112a8e18e

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the link. What size screw did you use to install them? How much longer?
    Last edited by tallj2000; 07-07-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaavisto View Post
    I got front and rears, the guy I ordered them from on EBay already had them packaged up as a set. The rears have a different spring than the front. Some guys are running all orange springs and some like all grey springs. I don't know if there is a benefit or not. There are quite a few people that have added them, I think GeneralPede01 has them and Briber on the Stampede forum also has added them.

Here is the link I got mine from.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Vorza-Th...item2112a8e18e
    I've used him many times,very fast and honest
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Racer
    How do you mount them, guys? Do you follow this guide, or is there a better one?

RC Racer
    With the STRC shock tower it was a easy install that is the same as stock. I used the standoffs that come with the shock tower and I only added a standoff on the bottom just to get a little more clearance for the springs.

Last edited by Ghaavisto; 07-08-2016 at 01:56 PM.

I just used the recommended standoffs (HBS67202) on the front.

Pic of when I first installed them:

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I take it the rears bolted right up? Did you use stands on the top and bottom? What screws did you use on the front?

I don't know exactly what screws I used in the front.
    I just pulled them out of my spare parts bin.
    They are the same as stock, except longer.
    I also added a washer. You can see it in my pic.

For the rear, I used shoulder screws.
    I think they were Traxxas 3642X.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3642X

Once you have the parts in hand, you'll see what you need for them to work.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    I take it the rears bolted right up? Did you use stands on the top and bottom? What screws did you use on the front?
    Rears bolted right up, the rear only used the STRC stand offs on the top. In the front used the STRC stand offs on the top and on the bottom I cut a small spacer out of some extra shock guards I had from my Stampede (see in the first pic). STRC actually includes some extra stand offs that work fine also. There are a few threads you can search for within the Slash and Stampede forums that cover several different mounting options. Squeegie's post (just saw it) shows the HPI standoffs that are also available and a lot of guys have used.
    The screws I used are all stock screws.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. Hopefully soon I will be able to get some shocks soon. Might as well do both my Stampede and Slash at the same time. Can't imagine the stock ones holding up to much longer lol

RC poster
    I'm using GTRs with the VDK kit right now, 1.6mm holes, valves set on the top, 45w front and rear.

I'm using Losi Ten SCTE front springs on all 4 corners because their length matched the rear and the stock Traxxas GTR fronts are way too short. These are just right for my terrain of mostly large rocks. This helps keep the front from dragging too much.

I think the truck runs great with this setup. At least a much improved ride over the stock GTR setup, even with the pink fronts and blue rears.

Love this truck for the trails.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-10-2016 at 11:02 AM. Reason: merge