RC poster

Question Steering Problem...

I am having a bit of a problem... When I go to turn my wheels without using the accelerator they will turn all the way, but if i use the accelerator the wheels will only turn about half-way. Just replaced the servo in hopes of fixing it and it worked for a short amount of time but then I ended up having the problem again. Just got the car last week and i just started running a 2s and that when the problem came up. Don't know if I'm not getting enough voltage to the servo or how to even go about fixing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check the bellcrank. Maybe the servo saver loosened up a bit. How much slop is there in the steering?
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Enthusiast
    2wd or 4 wd?

RC poster
    Went in and inspected everything, everything is mechanically sound. When I use the accelerator the wheels will only turn less than halfway. But I can turn the wheels all the way without using accelerator, but right when I touch it the wheels shoot back towards the center again. So it must be something wrong with electronics but have no idea what could be causing it.

RC poster
    The car is 4wd.

Is it TSM?
    its not fun until something breaks

RC poster
    yes it is, could that cause a problem?

RC Qualifier
    Try turning tsm to 0%. Also if you bought the truck new call Traxxas, they will be glad to help also.

I am assuming you are having this problem when the truck is on the ground. If this is occurring when the truck is in the air with the wheels off the ground just ignore my post because it will not help.

I have the same problem, and Jimbo hit the nail right on the head, it is most likely your servo saver. I just installed a brand new Savox 1256TG servo which has 277oz of torque (over 100oz higher than the servo I was using) because I was having this problem and it didn't change a thing. That leaves only one possible culprit, which is the servo saver.

The stock servo saver is made to protect plastic geared servos and it gives very easily, which is why your wheels straighten with very little resistance. There are no adjustments you can make to the stock bellcrank so there isn't much you can do to fix it without buying parts. Here are a few options I read of that can fix the problem.

1. The black spring from a emaxx bellcrank kit (TRA4943) will supposedly fit in the slash 4x4 and can fix most of the problem. I haven't tried it so I can't be 100% sure if it will fit.

2. You can put some spacers or washers under the spring in the stock setup to tighten up the spring. One option I read is to remove the ear from the 1mm preload clips that came with the old shocks and put 1 or 2 of them under the stock spring to tighten it up. I imagine this is not fun to try because it's already a pain to get the spring in as it is.

3. Upgrade to a different bellcrank. The STRC aluminum bellcrank is one of the most popular options because you can adjust the tension on the spring. I have one on the way and will let you know if it fixes the problem.

Remember, I haven't tried any of the options yet so I can't guarantee they will work. I do know many people run the STRC bellcrank with no issue though. Most of the people who have problems with the STRC bellcrank are running plastic geared servos and they keep stripping their gears. Increasing the spring tension is not recommended with a plastic geared servo.
    Last edited by Silly Old Boy; 07-08-2016 at 10:15 AM.

RC poster
    I'm with skyline here. TSM is pretty cool but it WILL intervene if it thinks it can do things a more stable way. I personally love it for high speed runs on high traction surfaces, dont like it at all when running on loose surfaces where I want to go opposite lock on my own terms.
    Last edited by drtalon123; 07-08-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: wrong name!

RC poster
    Just fixed it, started messing around with the tsm and the multi-function know on the radio and that fixed the problem, thanks for all the help guys!

RC poster
    Yep, TSM.

Had the same problem in the beginning.

BUT, TSM is the *bee's knees* on the trails. Much easier to goose it in the woods when TSM is on.