RC poster

Please help - Noob gearing questions for CC sidewinder 8th and 3S Lipo

Hello all,

Super RC noob here. I just wanted to get some help from you guys. I was thinking of upgrading the Velineon system on my slash 4x4 TSM OBA. I was leaning towards the Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th waterproof esc/2200kv motor combo. CC support told me I need to buy 5mm pinions and that I "need to bump up 5-6 teeth from where I'm at."

I don't race and I don't hardcore bash. I just want a significant improvement in performance and reliability (overheating etc) while running 3S Lipo. I understand that the sidewinder system has loads more torque than the Velineon system, thus you need to use smaller gearing to harness its potential. I just don't know which gears I need to change. (Pinion? Spur? Slipper??). The more I dig into the forums, the more confusing it gets because it seems that everyone is using a different setup.

Also, are there any other mods I need to make to my slash to ensure reliability?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

You should be able to run the highest gearing possible with a 2200kv motor on 3s. If you are just buying pinions get a few different ones just to be safe. I believe you start running into fit issues when you use a 25t pinion or higher, so I would stay below that. To be safe you could just grab a 18t and a 21t pinion and a 52t and 50t spur. That will give you 12 different gearing options (with the stock 54t spur included).

Stepping up to this kind of power is going to require a new drive shafts relatively quickly. The stock ones will not last long. Most of the other stuff can be upgraded as you go.
    Last edited by Silly Old Boy; 07-08-2016 at 10:47 AM.

RC Qualifier
    No two people like the same set up. You have to play with it to find what works for you. You will need to change the pinion gear. If you keep stock size tires start with a 20 tooth pinion. Do have any experience with that combo so I can't tell you for sure. If you put a set of 2.8 trenchers on it like most you will need either a 17 or 18 tooth. It's what I used and worked great. As far as upgrades you will need better axels to start. You should also upgrade the slipper clutch to the revo one, x01 diff upgrade, driveshaft to handle the power. Upgrade other parts as they break. I better set of shocks will help handling.
    Last edited by tallj2000; 07-08-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

RC Qualifier
    A 5mm pinion is the size of the diameter of the pinion. I think the stock one has a 3mm diameter. Bumping up 5-6 teeth means you need a pinion gear 5 or 6 teeth larger than the one you already have. I truly wouldn't upgrade to a castle setup only because I've been running my velineon system for 2 years now and am still impressed with it! Heat is a little bit of an issue but with a good heat sink you'll be ok. If you really want more speed just change your gear ratio a little.
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

RC Qualifier
    21t pinoin is the biggest you can go with a 54t spur. Thats as far out the motor will go on the plate. If you want a bigger pinoin you'll have to go down in the spur. Then your talking real speed. And YES you have to upgrade at least axles .diffs and clutch.
    Last edited by davew; 07-08-2016 at 10:38 AM.

I'm though I have used 54/22 before.....but now I am doubting myself because I'm not sure what spur gear I had in at that time. It's very possible I was running my 50t spur at that time because I was going for speed. Just to be on the safe side I changed my post to 21t instead of 22t. I changed my gearing so many times with this truck that I can't keep it straight anymore.
    Last edited by Silly Old Boy; 07-08-2016 at 10:51 AM.

RC poster
    Awesome guys! Thanks so much for all the info! I should've joined this forum sooner!

CC support did suggest I get a few 5mm pinions to see what suits my setup the best. They suggested 18, 20, and 22 (all 32p) and then go from there. No mention of spur gears or anything like that.

Having different spur gears just gives you some additional gearing options. They are more difficult to replace so most people just change the pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe even go with mod 1 spurs and pinions. 36,38& 40 tooth spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    21t pinoin is the biggest you can go with a 54t spur. Thats as far out the motor will go on the plate. If you want a bigger pinoin you'll have to go down in the spur. Then your talking real speed. And YES you have to upgrade at least axles .diffs and clutch.
    i can't exactly remember my numbers but i think i'm running a 24t pinion and a 52t spur and it allows me around 60mph with my sidewinder 1/8th but does it in an entirely different way than the stock motor system on 3s. off the line it viciously spins the rubber and flies like it was shot out of a cannon. i can also run flat out for the duration of the battery without having my temps ever go over 145 on asphalt.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

I run 20/50 with my 2200 on 3S.
    Good enough for me... for now!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Does that combo work good on and off road? I plan to upgrade my motor but I need a gear that will work 90% of road and 10% on. Of course I'm going with a 2400 so my gearing will be different. I will be running 3s with the occasional 4s possibly.

I've only run it in an open field with medium to short cut grass.

RC poster
    CC says Mod1 pinions are for scale 1/8 conversions and made of hardened steel. 32p pinions are for monster truck applications and machined from aluminum. CC support suggested I go with 32p, and someone here suggested Mod1. What's the difference? Which way do I go?

Sigh being a noob sucks...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzp View Post
    CC says Mod1 pinions are for scale 1/8 conversions and made of hardened steel. 32p pinions are for monster truck applications and machined from aluminum. CC support suggested I go with 32p, and someone here suggested Mod1. What's the difference? Which way do I go?

Sigh being a noob sucks...
    Unless your doing speed runs I don't think you need to worry about going to mod1.

RC poster
    No speed runs. I just want considerable improvement in overall performance and reliability when running 3S Lipo.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Right on topic as the norm
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    Does that combo work good on and off road? I plan to upgrade my motor but I need a gear that will work 90% of road and 10% on. Of course I'm going with a 2400 so my gearing will be different. I will be running 3s with the occasional 4s possibly.
    I don't have experience with the 2200 motor. I have been running the 2400 motor since they have been released. The 2400 motor will be great with either a 18 or a 19 tooth pinion gear used with a 54 tooth spur gear. If you get the need for speed bump it up to a 20-25 pinion with a 50 tooth spur gear. You are going to be very happy with the 2400 motor. To the OP,

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I don't have experience with the 2200 motor. I have been running the 2400 motor since they have been released. The 2400 motor will be great with either a 18 or a 19 tooth pinion gear used with a 54 tooth spur gear. If you get the need for speed bump it up to a 20-25 pinion with a 50 tooth spur gear. You are going to be very happy with the 2400 motor. To the OP,

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!
    Awesome bro! I got loads more to ask lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post

The 2400 with a 18/54 with 2.8 Trenchers is my build plan. Well for this one anyways lol

The 2400 with a 18/54 with 2.8 Trenchers is my build plan. Well for this one anyways lol
    You will be very happy with the performance of the truck! I love the 2400 motor ♡

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    I figured it would be a good 3s basher and a 4s speed rocket.

Good call... That's what I ran when I ran that motor!

There must be something wrong with or I'm just a power nut but imo the 2200kv is a sluggish setup on 3s.
    Now next to the stock setup its a huge improvement but the 2200kv doesn't even come to life unless you put a 4s in it.
    Its one of the reasons I bought a 2650kv castle, now thats a beast on 3s.
    While as a hole the 2200kv has more capabilities in the power area you put a 2200kv and a 2650kv both on 3s and the 2650kv will make the 2200kv look like its standing still.
    I have and run both these setups so this isn't word of mouth.
    My scalpel build was the first thing I put the 2200kv in, at the time a 3s was the biggest lipo I had.
    Geared 25/45 it did okay but when I put the 2650kv in it it was a monster.
    That said once I got some 4s lipos the 2200kv really came to life, then 5s and 6s was unbelievable until I got used to it.
    On 3s the wheelie bar was for show, on 4s it became a necessary addition.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    t wasn't until the PF8 build I started running it on 6s for speed runs and put the 2650 in the scalpel.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    There must be something wrong with or I'm just a power nut but imo the 2200kv is a sluggish setup on 3s.
    Now next to the stock setup its a huge improvement but the 2200kv doesn't even come to life unless you put a 4s in it.
    Its one of the reasons I bought a 2650kv castle, now thats a beast on 3s.
    While as a hole the 2200kv has more capabilities in the power area you put a 2200kv and a 2650kv both on 3s and the 2650kv will make the 2200kv look like its standing still.
    I have and run both these setups so this isn't word of mouth.
    My scalpel build was the first thing I put the 2200kv in, at the time a 3s was the biggest lipo I had.
    Geared 25/45 it did okay but when I put the 2650kv in it it was a monster.
    That said once I got some 4s lipos the 2200kv really came to life, then 5s and 6s was unbelievable until I got used to it.
    On 3s the wheelie bar was for show, on 4s it became a necessary addition.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    t wasn't until the PF8 build I started running it on 6s for speed runs and put the 2650 in the scalpel.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks for your reply. I realize in this hobby, there's always something better or faster out there. I'm just trying to achieve better overall performance over what I previously had. Yes I want more speed but I'm not much of a wheelie kind of guy. I prefer controllable power. I'll leave the wheelies to the monster trucks.

This forum is great. I really appreciate all the help.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    32p is a mod .8

if your mesh is properly set, there will be no reliability issues running a 32p vs a mod 1

Thanks for your reply. I realize in this hobby, there's always something better or faster out there. I'm just trying to achieve better overall performance over what I previously had. Yes I want more speed but I'm not much of a wheelie kind of guy. I prefer controllable power. I'll leave the wheelies to the monster trucks.
    Its nice to hear someone else that doesn't want to have a wheelie monster, I'm one of those that will do anything to keep the front wheels on the ground.
    I'm also much more of a 2wd fan, I got my 2wd FLM build to keep the front end down from a dead stop full trigger pull with a 2400 castle geared 23/56 on 3s and love it.
    I can say with complete honesty its by far my favorite of my seven traxxas rigs.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Its nice to hear someone else that doesn't want to have a wheelie monster, I'm one of those that will do anything to keep the front wheels on the ground.
    I'm also much more of a 2wd fan, I got my 2wd FLM build to keep the front end down from a dead stop full trigger pull with a 2400 castle geared 23/56 on 3s and love it.
    I can say with complete honesty its by far my favorite of my seven traxxas rigs.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Nice one man. Thanks for the info. Results like yours are what I'm after.

RC poster
    Another question. Will i need to make any permanent modifications to my Slash to fit the CC 2200kv or is it a simple drop in?