RC poster

Batteries, motor, and esc get really hot

My Traxxas erevo bck is all stock except for the tires they are proline beadlock tires. The pinion is a 27 the transmission is a 50 it now gets really hot. I also just turned the low voltage detection on for the lipo batteries I'm running. If the the low voltage is off it doesn't get to hot but now it's a lot worse. I just got done with a 15 min run today and the lipo battery has swelled up to a tight fit and is now a little soft. Alittle conserned on what's going on. If anyone would let me know what's going on please let me know.

Well you NEVER run it without low voltage detection off! That will ruin the lipo. Check for any bad bearings? Anything binding?

RC Qualifier
    Just the way the car runs, if it's usually always at full throttle
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

RC Qualifier
    Pretty much your battery is junk from running the voltage to low ....

RC poster
    Ok so this low voltage detection like what is the purpose of it?

With a LiPo battery if you discharge it past a certain voltage it ruins the battery. With Low Voltage Detection enabled it cuts off the power when it detects harmful low voltage to protect the battery. There are two stages to the low voltage detection. Stage one cuts the power to 50% and stage two completely cuts power to the motor. Once it hits stage one you should immediately drive it back to you and go charge it up again.
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

Also, those proline titus beadlocks are pretty heavy as compared to the stock rims or the proline desperados. If you are stopping and starting a lot they will cause things to heat up a lot more. Drop a couple teeth on the pinion, down to 21 even.
    If you battery is puffed that bad though it is probably toast.

RC Enthusiast
    I have run Proline Dirt Hawg tires on Titus Beadloc Rims. They are quite a bit heavier than the stock tires. I ran the 50t spur with a 19t pinion. That setup worked well on both 2s offroad and 3s on the street.

50/27 gearing with those tires will put a serious strain on your battery which is mostly likely why your electronics and your battery were getting hot.

Also, NEVER run a lipo with the low voltage disabled. If a lipo cell goes below 3.0v it can ruin the battery causing it to puff like you're describing. The low voltage cutoff is designed to prevent that from happening.

If your battery has puffed significantly I would replace it. Running a puffed back can lead to a fire. Many hobby stores will dispose of used/bad packs. It's unfortunate but I would just chalk it up to the learning experience, replace the pack and change your gearing. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Traxxction; 07-18-2016 at 06:28 PM.

RC poster
    Yep it sure did thanks guys for all the help I have geared it down and will buy new batteries when I can

Quote Originally Posted by Motocross113 View Post
    Yep it sure did thanks guys for all the help I have geared it down and will buy new batteries when I can
    I would check the bearings and for any binding because even with lower gearing a seized bearing can cause it to heat up.
    Too much power is just enough

+1 on what the guys said about the weight of the the beadlocks, especially when accellerating. When the rotating mass increases, you need more energy to get it up to speed. With constant speeds, there is no difference anymore.
    Nobody is born with experience