Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California

Fourdub's LaTrax Alias *USED*

I've always wanted a quad rotor. but never could think about what one to get. while talking with my dad, he ordered himself one. i cant remember which one off the top of my head but under 100$, so i ordered one too.

Found a used one on ebay for 85$ that popped up on a search for "traxxas"

I'm doing a lot of reading up on them in this forum while i wait for the package. will see how it goes. Will make sure to record the flights... you know... in case of fire. Hope this will be fun.

Fourdub
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Racer
    You should have lots of fun with your new Alias and I don't expect you will see any fire.

Fourdub's LaTrax Alias *USED*

We love ours. Good luck with it.
    Not sure where the fire comment originates from. ???
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

youtube reference... people like seeing explosions and fire. and when you rock lipo batteries, always that small chance.

thanks for the comments. i am pretty excited!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

We like to keep a lid on the hysterics here.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

lol yeah i didn't mean traxxas quadrotors explode and catch fire randomly.

Found my first tool needed for quadrotoring. A fishing pole, a treble hook and some split shot lol. i convinced my pops to fly his quad outside the house... and crashed it on top of two different neighbor's house lol. i fished it off both times lol.

needless to say, our next session will be at the park or some other open place. i haven't even got mine yet, but it was fun calibrating his, with his camera and watching him fly it.

much much fun was had even if both flights were under 1 minute lol. i would of recorded them, if pops wasent using my phone as his fpv screen.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Quote Originally Posted by fourdub View Post
    Found my first tool needed for quadrotoring. A fishing pole, a treble hook and some split shot lol. i convinced my pops to fly his quad outside the house... and crashed it on top of two different neighbor's house lol. i fished it off both times lol.

I've been there, had to put together 5 8ft long shrimp net poles to knock mine out of the oak tree after a nasty gust of wind had its way with my Alias, I had just started getting good at flips in expert mode when the wind tried to abscond with it!

The video I took of the whole episode was junk as the stupid phone camera never focused after it got up in the air.

But these little guys are a ton of fun, your gonna have a blast with it!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

My Quad came in the mail today, happy dayz! just waiting for it too cool down outside before i go test fly it. I'm excited!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Was a blast flying it for the first time. half thru the 2nd battery pack, i hit a trashcan and it killed one of the motors.

looks like i'll be ordering some motors.

will edit video and post it up little later
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Well, just made my first purchase of parts for the Alias.

Traxxas motor replacement set of 4 2x of each
    Traxxas set of 2 spur gears x2 packs (noticed one of my spurs is missing teeth)
    Traxxas LED light bar (not sure why....)
    Traxxas Alias Camera
    Traxxas Alias Wide angle lens
    RPM landing gear
    RPM blade guards (i crashed into myself @ 1/2 throttle.... not pleasant lol)

so... just spent more on parts than the alias cost me total...

It was either buy this stuff for the alias or a set of 1/5th scale GRP belted tires with the 1/5th wheel adapters for my 8th scale rustler.... i bought this stuff.

Here is the video from today, i had my brother in law recording. I almost hit him with the drone. also caught the trashcan accident on camera for you guys...

https://youtu.be/mOe5NwCU1wE

sorry the video is poor, you may have to visit youtube, so you can watch it in full screen and see the little dot that is the quad.

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Mine is broken, threw away in the trash last year or so. I ordered new motors and its still not working right. Probably circuit board is broken. I have no idea.. Controller is kinda hard to understand how to use it. But I like small, lightweight aircraft with lights AND cheap price.

Small update and a Question.

When you guys say you had X number of flights... are you taking how many packs you put thru your quad, or how many times you landed it and took off?

i think I'm at 4flights (4 packs total used)

Today i took apart my alias as my new motors and stuff arrive tomarrow. I noticed when i pulled the spur away from the pinion the motor was fine.

I inspected the spur teeth with a fine bristle brush and a magnifying glass. didn't find any rocks/dirt in the spur. i did however found a bunch of dirt in-between the 2 bearings. Once i cleaned those out, it reduced 95% of the binding. I didn't replace the spurs with missing teeth, but i put a whole pack thru it flying it around, inside my house.

So i will replace the spurs tomorrow, but i don't need to do the motors yet.

Will go and get some more flights in tomarrow, hopefully i will record some video from the drone, or video of the drone with the led bar hehe.

Fourdub
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Racer
    You.re kind of asking for trouble when you bash it hard on loose sand.
    But itis good to see i.m not the only one flying like a noob
    I just bought a clone v636 ( no brand named, so i hope it goes ok with protocols of this forum) of the alias, 35 bucks delivered to my door, ran 8-9 packs through it( flights must equal batteries/packs) flew into threes, bushes, sometimes with throttle, but always keeping in mind, cut power when an accident is eminent.
    Just orderes 2 spare motors and landing arms or what they are called. 8 buck delivered. From china, but i can wait.
    nitro rusty, t-maxx and 2 revo 3.3's. Slash 4/4 bl

Nice Joller!

I got my blade guards, motors, lightbar, camera, and wide angle lense today in the mail.

I went to install the camera... and realized i left my SD card at home.

I had my nephew recording, sadly my phone got hot, and went into thermal protection, which shut down the phone and i lost 2 packs worth of flights.

so I'm @ 7 packs/flights now.

Still having fun with it. Went to the park this morning before work, and burned a pack. at lunch went and ran 2 more. Charging my batteries right now, last hour of work, and will go fly after work.

Hopefully record some video with the alias camera.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

so... i know i was happy about not having to replace motors right.... well on pack 9 i accidently'd into my porch light and broke the motor lol.... so convient i had 4 motors just laying around....

put a new motor in, installed 3 spur gears, and am now on pack 12. i recorded pack 9 and pack 11 with the alias camera. weird my video editor dosent like .avi's so i have to convert them all before i can edit them.

it was neat to say the least. also found out i don't own a 1mm allen (needed to install the rpm blade guards lol)

videos to come later!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Racer
    Don.t we all just love the learning curve(myself burned two nitro engines in a row. )
    I.m waiting on a 808 cam from ebay, i.m a cheapass upgrade kind of guy.

first two fpv videos. they are not very good. I'm still learning how to fly.

flying on my porch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py1KoIKFgR8

flying at the field

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O04fK84BAhc

will go buy a better micro sd card ASAP.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

I am still loving this drone. Im at flight 26 now. charging my packs for tomarrow will be going to a campsite by lake perris. so will try and go get some nice video from the drone.

got 2x 8gb sd cards now, and I make sure to make my videos, around 2minutes long each to avoid the sound buffering/loss of sync.

here is a video I took last weekend at a rc drag race. every clip is the alias until the very last one, where I mount a camera to my controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3I04cjUGEA

I'm getting better, but I still am no where near close to mastering this drone. I can do nose out pretty good, and that's about it. at high altitude it is a lot easier to turn and ect without errors causing crashes. trying to finess the drone in tight corners is my problem.

I love the LED lightbar attachment. It is actually pretty bright, and I don't recommend looking at it when you turn it on. it hurts a little.

every flight learning something new... still slowly trimming it so I can hover easy... I'm going back and forth between ez and exp1 mode.

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Racer
    Gerting better, it could be a cool shot, if you at the shot at 2:00 min. Hoovered a couple of feet of the ground, and a bit back, and then followed the cars when they take of. (if you can keep up)

up to 38 flights now. Still loving this quad its a great item, to take a 10 minute break with.

Few packs ago I found out how to do flips.

Also found out how to do flips with the camera or led light bar attached.

Still enjoying this quad! I took some videos of the flips and stuff, but its hard to see in the video. will try and edit it up and post a video later.

I did go out to the lake, but will admit I stayed at the camp site and didn't do too much recording. I did do a little bit. will edit that video and post it later as well.

On a related but not so related sidenote.. anyone have any 3d printer files of landing gear or other parts for the Alias? I just got a 3d printer and am messing with the different types of stuff I could/can make. Anyone have files to share?
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

We've had our Alias's since Jan this year and still fly the snot out of them.

Just keep flying it, and up the rates in fast 1 to 100%, once you get good there you can move to acro or fast 2 where the you have full control.

It's a ton of fun when you figure out how to make it flip and roll on your own, just do so over grass, I kinda crashed it bunch learning to flip it.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!