RC Qualifier

Question First Nitro (2nd Attempt)

Hello Traxxas Nitro Community! I got a Nitro P2de coming so I'm taking a break with my Traxxas electrics and going to try out nitro once again since my 1st time (and my very first hobby grade r/c) was a bust due to being a inferior brand . It was sort of fun with my neighbor helping me breaking the engine in. Then the problems just kept coming. The r/c always end up being a 2wd instead of AWD due a design flaw that I later found after having buying parts to fix it again over and over only ending up back to the work brench again. Though I fixed the problem by doing a simple mod, it just didn't work out for me. If my neighbor didn't have a Revo or gave me a Traxxas catalog I probably would of been out of hobby so early or lost.

So for its been a blast with these Traxxas electrics and at one point I was thinking of buying my neighbor's Revo when he had it up for sale. I wasn't sure if Nitro was not for me since electric is easier to deal with, but you know what some people or things deserves a second chance.

I already know some of the break-in methods, but I'll just stick with Traxxas' idea. I was watching some videos including two Traxxas videos of engine break-in and after run maintenance.

My first question is while I watching the Traxxas Break-in video I thought it was strange what the Traxxas guy said in the video about having the engine leaned a bit for hot/humid days, but setting it to lean will generate more heat so I found that bit odd since you want to reduce temps for hotter days. I may get richening it for cold days (maybe not). This is ether a slight video error or I need some understanding about that part.

Question 2: Traxxas has 3 different % of fuel which 10, 20, 30% if I'm right. Since I'm starting off with a Pro .15 I may should start with 10% before I upgrade to a 2.5 engine if this nitro hobby works out for me. And also does a higher % make tuning harder?

I do have more question, but I wait because once I get the Nitro P2de and look thru the manual, tags and other stuff it may answer them.

Any tips and suggestions are worth reading so please help a newbie out.

Thanks.

Soup
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Competitor
    Welcome back to the Dark Side! I love my Nitro Pede. Runs great. Mine was set too lean out of the box. Make sure your HSN is set 2 1/2 turns out and LSN is 1 3/4 turns out. After break in you can lean it some. I haven't leaned mine hardly any. I use Byrons 20% in all my Nitro's. LHS recommended it over the Traxxas fuel, I'm on my 3rd gallon and very happy with it. Enjoy your Pede!

RC Enthusiast
    Congrats on the new NPede, it's a fun truck.

To answer your first question... You are right, leaning out the mixture will increase the engine temperature. That is not a factual error on the video however. Adjusting the high and low speed needles adjust the air to fuel mixture. Leaning out the mixture (more air) will give better performance but higher temperatures. Making it richer will lower engine temperature but also lower performance.

On humid days however there is more moisture in the air which will make the engine run rich which is why the video mentions leaning it out. On very dry days you will need to make it richer to add more fuel. Temperature doesn't affect the performance as much as humidity and barometric pressure I've found.

I would use 20% top fuel. It will give you a good balance of performance and engine life. Different percentages of nitro will require different tuning but won't really make it any harder.

The nitro stampede was my first nitro model as well. Some tips:

- I wouldn't touch the low speed needle until you have the break-in process finished and the high speed needle set where you want it. You may find you don't even need to touch the LSN.

- I would cut holes in the front and rear windshields for air flow. It will help prevent overheating when you run it in the grass.

- Your stock muffler is probably going to melt. The trx pro .15 will generally run in the 230 - 290F range. The stock muffler is plastic.

- I would tune for performance and not engine temperature. As long as you see smoke and the engine isn't cutting out or stalling you should be fine.

- It will stall a lot during break-in. You may even go through a glow plug or two. Don't get discouraged.

Once you have it broken in and tuned you will find it's a very sturdy, reliable truck.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for replies guys!!! Just got it today. It's nice to have a spare glow and an air filter if I can find it, I see the one filter with the rubber base in the package ready to be attach to the carb, but not the extra one. Anyway I still have two more glow plugs from my inferior nitro and they're both Traxxas brand.

One was used maybe both I can't remember so maybe its better get new instead since the fuel I used was some brand I can't remember ether as its been at least 5 fives years when I gave up nitro the first time. Also I have to look for them.

I'll be swinging by my LHS some time after this week to get some top pulse (might as well try 20%) and while I'm there should I go for the standards or heavy duty Traxxas glow plugs?

I might not be able to break-in the motor this week suppose to be hot in my area plus I have to work. Speaking of heat what the specific engine temp to watch for during break-in process? Went thru the manual twice only found 300 degrees not to go over (the number wasn't mentioned in the break-in section).

That's odd to hear that the stock muffler might melt, but maybe it's true as well since it's plastic. I will see it to believe it.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Enthusiast
    I run the standard traxxas glow plugs. After 5 gallons of fuel I'm only on my 3rd plug. I replaced one after the break-in process and another a few gallons later.

As long as there is a visible trail of smoke and the engine is not cutting out or stalling I wouldn't even worry about the temperature. Overheating shouldn't be an issue during the break-in process because the engine will be running very rich. I wouldn't start tuning until tank 4 or 5. The first few tanks you'll have a hard time just keeping it running.

If you are worried about the engine temperature cutting holes in the front and rear windshields is the best thing you can do to keep it cool as the airflow across the cooling head will blow the heat away.

I would add an extra tank or two to the break-in process before you really start tuning it for performance and running it hard. Whatever fuel you decide to go with I would make sure it has at least 12% lubricant. I think the traxxas top fuel has 16%.

RC Qualifier
    Went to my LHS and bought stuff for my NPede. The 20% Top Fuel Gallon, after run oil blah blah blah, and 2 two extra things: a TRX 2075 servo and a TRX 3628 receiver box.

Probably be cheaper to just put ziploc bag over the receiver, but I prefer this instead. It looks like Traxxas didn't want a box to prevent air from passing through. I put the two halves in place where the receiver was and the top of it was just about lined up to the top of the fuel tank. I mainly want this because I don't want to deal with a dusty or dirty receiver.

I got the 2075 servo because it is one the popular servos to own and 125 oz of torque is more than enough for a truck with a light front end and if the plastic gears get trashed then I just drop in a Savox metal gear set. I may ether sell the 2055 or keep it as parts for the other 2055. I also someday may "water proof" it after I do lots of research of driving Nitro in wet conditions. Since this in my first nitro I'm 100% staying away from wet conditions.

I try to get standard Traxxas glow plugs #3230, but the lady at my LHS said that Traxxas changed their part inventory and that they just have one type now which I bought two #3232X Super Duty ones. I left these out of the first pic of this post.

I did this a few days and I may put more holes in the body later. First time I used a body reamer, so much cleaner than a drill bit.

I may try to break-in the engine today its 89 F outside, the humidity is 35% and air pressure is around 30in in my area. Tomorrow may not look good after 2:00 due to rain since I have to work on that day. And the weekend looks much worse. So I may try to get it broken in today, but I have to go uptown right now.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    I have not broken the engine in yet so while I find a good day to do it, I decided to get that receiver box in.

My original plan was to whip up a receiver platform out of aluminum then I forget I have this stuff. Better try it first before using aluminum to keep the weight down. This former tote was used for a trailer build I was doing last year (I'll put a quick pic of it near the end of this post for any who don't browse through the E P2de category).

A little trimming to the ex receiver holder since its going to be upside down.

Reached my max pic limit. I thought it was 12 or something (maybe that was for ebay). Well looks I have to post the trailer in the next post then.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    Here is the trailer not finished though, but the front needs reinforce. So I will have to get on that since I got aluminum sheets to work with now. Here's the link of how it was made:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?9033613-Surprising-yet-another-cousin-of-my!

Did you say Traxxas?

RC Competitor
    I use the 3232X plugs as well, even in my non-Traxxas RC's. They work great and last a while. Nice trailer btw!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by watertrucker View Post
    I use the 3232X plugs as well, even in my non-Traxxas RC's. They work great and last a while. Nice trailer btw!
    Thanks, I'm glad it came out the way I expected it.

Started the break-in though only almost one tank near the end of yesterday. Went pretty well, but I flooded the engine while I tried to start it the first time which I forgot to replace the carb cap with the air filter. After I got the issue cleared I managed to fired up the engine and get it running.

It started idling high so I tried to lower it just bit then it started taking off without remaining still then it cut off. I checked the manual and I made a mistake as I thought counterclockwise was lowering idle speed. So I re-corrected it then it took me a while to get it primed again.

Managed of what I could do before I have to pinch the fuel lines to prevent it for running out of fuel. Wanted to do a 2nd tank, but was getting dark. Only thing to do was the after run maintenance to call it a day. Oh and my first glow plug has not failed for now.

Won't be doing much since I have a busy day today. My one 2nd cousin came over to see me break-in the engine (I as least wish he brought his E P2de just to drive it around). With school coming around the corner, I hoping to get three of my 2nd cousins to bring their E P2des to my LHS track so we can have a Stampede family that day.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    Once again only one tank and it was little frustrating as my truck started to idle high (had this happen with the first tank). I have to hold the brakes while taking the body off so I can pinch the fuel line and reset my idle screw.

It kept happening and I have to stop 3 times to do the same thing over. One time I saw white smoke so I know my engine was overheating, but my Duratrax Flash Point said it was only 278 and battery of it was still fresh. It only happen once though.

Finally I found what was causing the idling issue turns out I right the first time that counterclockwise lowers the truck's idle. I figured out when I checked the carb, when I turned the idle screw clockwise it was opening it up so there was a slight mix up error in the manual. So fired up the engine and the truck stayed still, but I did have to tweak it a bit since the engine cut off when I went full brakes. I ran out fuel which I tried not to, but with the in between mishaps I think it was ok.
    Did you say Traxxas?