RC poster

Question Recommended "starter kit" parts and tools for Rustler

Folks,

In an effort to teach my 8 year old about "value" while quenching my own unmet 8 year old desires for an great r/c car when I was a kid, I bought a 2WD Rustler off a nice guy via Craigslist. Definitely more bashing than any racing. The seller added a Sidewinder ESC, 2S Lipo batteries, RPM upgrades and Traxxas aluminum upgrades. As I learn more off various forums, I'm wondering: What should I buy as a starter kit in terms of (special) tools (kit) and spare parts?

I'm assuming I need a wheelie bar (traxxas or t-bar) and a strong front bumper for protection. (suggestions welcome)

I have plenty of tools intended for working on computers (e.g. small screwdrivers and such). What else should I consider? Is there a certain glue I should keep handy for tires or other applications? What about oils applied where? Or other hard tools? (I've searched for an r/c primer/starter reference to no avail)

Additionally (and assuming I had Proline Badland tires) what stocks should I look at getting to maximize ground clearance for running in grass?

Thanks in advance. Excited to see his face when he opens this.

RC poster
    Also curious what the best gearing ratio would be for all around bashing use with a lot of grass running (along with dirt and street).

RC Competitor
    You should keep tire glue on hand just in case. I use pro line glue. For the bumper I've heard really good things about the rpm wide front bumper. I've never used it but plan on getting it myself. You should probably keep shock oil on hand you never know when a shock cap might pop off, unless you have aluminum caps but I'd have it anyway. I would definitely get a wheelie bar. I use the traxxas one. The shocks I don't know. Also could you post any pictures? So we can see what all parts you have installed?

Recommended "starter kit" parts and tools for Rustler

1. I would recommend MIP hex drivers (1.5, 2.0, and 2.5 mm) and I would buy rpm a arms (if the car did not come with them) and Traxxas aluminum rear caster blocks and rpm or Traxxas aluminum front caster blocks. I would also get a screw kit for if you lose screws and get a extra servo gearset

2. I would get the Traxxas bar one based on my own experiences off of mine and would recommend the rpm front bumper.

3. I would always have a bottle of rc tire glue (CA glue) just in case the tires come unglued. I would also keep 45wt and 35wt Shock oil (f and r respectively). I recommend team associated shock oils. I would also keep a small Phillips head screwdriver for the servo if you ever have to replace servo gears. I would also get a 7mm nut driver for the wheel nuts and slipper.

4. If you are going for ground clearance and traction I would go with 2.8 proline trenchers. I would drop the pinion a bit to about 21/86 for these bigger tires.

5. A good all around gear ratio would be 23/86 with the stock size tires

Hope this helps!
    Too much power is just enough

I would not suggest the RPM bumper. That's probably the ONLY thing I would NEVER get RPM... Get a T-Bone racing bumper. So much better. Takes longer to arrive but definitely worth the wait.

RC poster

Recommended "starter kit" parts and tools for Rustler

What the guys? You can't even provide hyperlinks to the best deals on the web?

Just kidding! Awesome advice. Thank you.

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-21-2016 at 10:44 PM.

RC poster
    So I bought the RPM rear mount and the traxxas adjustable wheelie bar. Am I dense or do the two not fit together?

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/bu...r-wheelie-bar/
    http://www.rcplanet.com/Wheelie_Bar_...FYqFfgodXt0Pxg

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ilbarbaro View Post
    So I bought the RPM rear mount and the traxxas adjustable wheelie bar. Am I dense or do the two not fit together?

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/bu...r-wheelie-bar/
    http://www.rcplanet.com/Wheelie_Bar_...FYqFfgodXt0Pxg
    Looks like you got the one for the 1/16 e revo you need the rustler one. This one: http://www.rcplanet.com/Wheelie_Bar_..._p/tra3678.htm
    When you have that one just remove the traxxas mount and use the rpm one
    Last edited by Hunter1227; 07-30-2016 at 09:56 PM.