RC Enthusiast

Post My Slash Ultimate 68077-3

Hi (sorry for my bad English =D) everyone. This is my first post.

Had all the fun in the world I had expected with the stock Slash 4x4 Ultimate 68077-3 at the outdoor basketball court (concrete finish) in the neighbourhood. Then the "other" voice in my head whispered to me that it's time to step up a lil' bit.

Therefore, below are the upgrades I have installed / applied so far to the already-awesome truck since then. Some questions will follow that I wish to seek for more advice from all the buddies in this forum. Many thanks in advance!

Body
    - Traxxas ProGraphix Body Slash 4x4 with truck bed liner spray on the outer, and inside of fenders

Slipper Clutch Component
    - Traxxas Heavy Duty Slipper Clutch (aluminium friction pad)

Chassis & Attachment
    - Hot Racing Chassis Dirt Guard Cover
    - RPM Front Bumper Black
    - RPM Rear Bumper Black
    - RPM Nerf Bar Black
    - RPM Skid Plate Black
    - Traxxas Battery Hold-Downs (Tall)
    - VG Racing Chassis Brace

Differential
    - Front: Traxxas Differential Oil 50k
    - Rear: Traxxas Differential Oil 100k

Driveline Component
    - Front and rear: Steel-Spline Constant-Velocity Driveshaft Assembly
    - Tekno RC Big Bone Center Driveshaft / Outdrives

Front Suspension & Steering
    - RPM Front/Rear A-Arms Black
    - RPM Front Bulkhead Black
    - Traxxas Aluminium GTR Shocks Blue
    - Traxxas Aluminium Shock Tower
    - Traxxas Aluminium Turnbuckle for Camber Link
    - Traxxas Aluminium Turnbuckle for Toe Link
    - Hudy Silicone Shock Oil 65wt (-ish)
    - Traxxas Shock Spring White GTR Long 0.810 (Pink)
    - Sway Bar (Hard)

Rear Suspension
    - RPM Front/Rear A-Arms Black
    - Stock xx-long shock with Piston 1 (1.1mm) in Variable Damping Kit (flexible valve plate on bottom)
    - Traxxas Aluminium Shock Tower
    - Traxxas Aluminium Turnbuckle for Camber Link
    - Traxxas Silicone Shock Oil 40wt
    - Traxxas Shock Spring White GTR xx-Long 0.884 (Pink)
    - Sway Bar (Hard)

Hardware
    - RC Screwz Stainless Steel Screw Kit

Motor & Electronic
    - King Headz Aluminium Motor Mount with Bearing
    - Velineon VXL-3S ESC Cooling Fan
    - Integy Super Motor Heat Sink / Cooling Fan Blue

Battery
    - Traxxas 10,000mAh 7.4v 2-cell 25C LiPo Battery
    - Traxxas 8,400mAh 11.1v 3-cell 25C LiPo Battery

Tire & Wheel
    - Pro-Line Street Fighter SC 2.2"/3.0" on Black Renegade Wheel on all four (for speed run and bashing on tarmac surface)
    - Pro-Line Caliber 2.0 SC 2.2"/3.0" on Black Renegade Wheel on all four (for buggy track with a thin layer of loose dirt on top of hard-packed dirt)
    - Stock Traxxas SCT Off-Road Racing tire on SCT Chrome Wheel with red beadlock........and a 45mm width x 110mm inner diameter UPVC pipe fitted on the outside on all four (for drifting on hard surface)
    - Traxxas Alias 2.8" Ribbed Pattern on All-Star Black Chrome Wheel on all four (for bashing / power-sliding on concrete surface)

Yup. That's all. Rookie questions are as below:

1. Anything above that might not be compatible with the truck?

2. Gearing advice on stock motor/ESC (Velineon 3500/VXL-3S) on 2S and 3S LiPo respectively? I get higher temp in motor than ESC with both 13/54 and 13/50 on 2S. Shall I further gear it up? Pretty sure I have got the gear mesh just right.

3. Is it worthy to upgrade to MXL-6S Brushless Power System? If it is, any modification required to be made to the chassis in order to fit the motor/ESC? Does the MXL-6S literally require 2x3S? If it does, how to install the second LiPo pack compartment to the chassis? Or a 3S 25C is juicy enough for the combo?

4. If it isn't, what is the recommended combo to step up from Velineon 3500 for the above setting?

5. I have stumbled upon some threads online suggesting there are some motor/ESC combos with certain kV that you no longer have to worry about heat problems. I have had trouble understanding them. What kind of sorcery is this?

6. For the gearing combination to the same gear ratio, is smaller or bigger pinion better? Assuming they can all fit.

Once again, I thank you all so very much for helping me with the above. All advice is gratefully appreciated.

Cheers!

RC poster
    Where's the pics!

Welcome to the Traxxas and RC family

RC Qualifier
    Well, I did want more power and less heat from my motor and esc. If it's fast enough for you then run it as it is. There are so many options for motors and esc.

I use 8th scale motors just like the mxl-6s. You do not have to run 6s,that is overkill. I use 2s and 3s on that system it's faster and stays warm, never HOT. I prefer motors in the kV range of 3000kv to 2200kv. I use a larger pinion to get the same speed as the original 3500kv.

Even 4s is unnecessarily fast and out of control with my 2200kv motor. I usually use 2s..3s when I want to get crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Double-post... fail
    Last edited by traxxasken; 07-22-2016 at 10:44 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slashdad View Post
    Well, I did want more power and less heat from my motor and esc. If it's fast enough for you then run it as it is. There are so many options for motors and esc.

I use 8th scale motors just like the mxl-6s. You do not have to run 6s,that is overkill. I use 2s and 3s on that system it's faster and stays warm, never HOT. I prefer motors in the kV range of 3000kv to 2200kv. I use a larger pinion to get the same speed as the original 3500kv.

Even 4s is unnecessarily fast and out of control with my 2200kv motor. I usually use 2s..3s when I want to get crazy.

The stock gearing is fast enough for general bashing purpose, but as I said it has heat issue on the motor when I run 2S. Plus it felt like crawling when I ran it on buggy track.

Shall I trade the Velineon combo for the MXL-6S? Or shall I instead keep it and opt for a new MXL-6S? What gearing you run with the MXL-6S combo?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    Where's the pics!

Welcome to the Traxxas and RC family
    Thank you! It's an awesome community! I would love to but I'm not allowed to post attachment.. How to go around it?

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasken View Post
    Thank you! It's an awesome community! I would love to but I'm not allowed to post attachment.. How to go around it?
    Picture Posting Tutorial
    So long as the photo is taken in landscape mode, the forum will resize it down to the maximum allowable size. No additional effort on the member's part is required.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I run the Mamba Monster 2 with 2650 motor on 3S. Plenty of power for me. I'd imagine 4S is bonkers.
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

Quote Originally Posted by Swampthing View Post
    I run the Mamba Monster 2 with 2650 motor on 3S. Plenty of power for me. I'd imagine 4S is bonkers.
    Same here. Enough power for all my needs.
    Too much power is just enough

i think you can pretty much tell what other upgrades people are recommending by these posts.
    the stock motor is fine and dandy but is nowhere close to as much fun as what more power can bring. adding big power means that you'll soon be looking into 17mm hubs and new cvds. also, i ran traxxas packs to start but there are definitely better to be had for getting the full potential out of your rig. i wouldn't even consider anything less than a 3 cell with at least a 50c rating anymore.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Qualifier
    The stock gearing is fast enough for general bashing purpose, but as I said it has heat issue on the motor when I run 2S. Plus it felt like crawling when I ran it on buggy track.

Shall I trade the Velineon combo for the MXL-6S? Or shall I instead keep it and opt for a new MXL-6S? What gearing you run with the MXL-6S combo?
    I would sell your stock system. It's getting hot on 2s! Upgrade time.

On my 2200kv 4wd Slash I'm running 18-20 tooth pinion and 52 tooth spur. On 2 and 3s and I never get 130 degrees Fahrenheit. It's always about 110 to 120 degrees on 2s. And my 2s are 7200mah and 6500mah.
    On 3s I don't change the gearing. It still only gets to 130 degrees at the hottest.

I'm running Monster truck tires which make it a heavier load and faster overall because they are 5" tall.
    I use only 8th scale buggy wheels other wise. The power just strips 12mm hexes and I had to go to 17mm.

On short course tires I have a 24 tooth pinion and a 52 tooth spur.
    Once you use a larger system you will not use the original system again, unless you intend on racing.

I think everyone here knows my preferred motor system. If you could find just a motor it would be a direct plug and play upgrade. When you get into upgrades you are going to need more power. It's another part of the addiction
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast

On my 2200kv 4wd Slash I'm running 18-20 tooth pinion and 52 tooth spur. On 2 and 3s and I never get 130 degrees Fahrenheit. It's always about 110 to 120 degrees on 2s. And my 2s are 7200mah and 6500mah.
    On 3s I don't change the gearing. It still only gets to 130 degrees at the hottest.

I'm running Monster truck tires which make it a heavier load and faster overall because they are 5" tall.
    I use only 8th scale buggy wheels other wise. The power just strips 12mm hexes and I had to go to 17mm.

Once you use a larger system you will not use the original system again, unless you intend on racing.

Thank you so much for the advice!

Is 2S 10,000mAh 25C enough for the 2,200kV?
    And 3S 8,400mAh 25C?

I will be running mostly on that two.

For the driveshaft, I'm using Traxxas Steel-Spline Constant-Velocity Driveshaft for both front and rear. Do they stand up to the power of this combo on 2S and 3S? Is upgrading to MIP a must?

For the bearing, are ceramic ones still required if I'm running 2S and 3S only?

I'm definitely upgrading to the MIP 17mm hexes. Do they have any compatibility issue with the Traxxas CVDs that I'm using?

Understood that the MXL-6S comes with the Traxxas adapter, so it will just be like plug-and-play. And I need to move the receiver box too. Besides the ESC mount, King Headz Motor Mount, what else I should get in order to install the combo?

With all that said, I only run with 2S 25C and 3S 25C, is MM 2,650kV more suitable for me? Or I just stick to 2,200kV?

I just need a combo that can finally use up the juice in my LiPos in one single session without having to worry about overheating problem. I use the truck on buggy track, but not for racing. Just having fun with my kids. I use the truck for bashing on concrete surface, but the space is not so wide. Speed run, not so much.

Thanks again for the advice 2Slashdad!!

RC Enthusiast

How about the differential? I have read about drivers upgrade theirs with XO-1 diffs. Is it a must? I see the only difference is just the I-bar. Will the I-bar fit in the Slash diff? Or I have to get the complete kit?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampthing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasfan21 View Post
    Same here. Enough power for all my needs.
    I have heard if you are running 3S - 6S, go for the 2,200kV. If 2S - 4S (which is my case) 2,650kV.

Just wondering if there are any tutorials online for the installation of the 2,650kV combo into the Slash 4x4.

I'm totally fresh on this motor swapping job. Any accessories / fittings / parts required for it? As I need to order everything online. Most of the things are not available in my LHS.

Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    How about the differential? I have read about drivers upgrade theirs with XO-1 diffs. Is it a must? I see the only difference is just the I-bar. Will the I-bar fit in the Slash diff? Or I have to get the complete kit?
    My diffs are not the xo1. I rebuild them occasionally. They Are Tuff Enough.

I've had 3 different 8th scale systems in it. Usually 2s, 3s frequently, rarely 4s.

They will easily go 55mph on 3s. Maybe even fast er