RC Qualifier

Rit Dye - Warm water?

Hi, Im loving the dyed black Slash Chassis so Im thinking of picking up a pack or so of Rit Dye (It is avaliable on eBay, never saw it in the UK shops mind). I can get Black Powder:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/37148...ype=pla&crdt=0

Or Black Liquid:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rit-Liquid...8AAOSw2GlXEWdV

I can get a cheap bowl thats no problem, my only issue is heat... I cant risk using the Hob in the Kitchen, and I dont havea BBQ. If I boiled some water in the kettle, added the dye and the chassis to the bowl, would it work? Obviously the process takes around an hour so the water would be cold by the end, would this affect it?

Secondly if it is possible to do it my way, whats best, powder or liquid dye? I'd only be doing 1 chassis ( I need to find part # 7422 for my LCG Platinum), but Id want it jet black?

Is this going to work without keeping the water hot?

Thanks

I've used both liquid and powder with mo problems.

Using your bowl method is fine, just remember to let it soak in there for a long time (some have left it overnight).
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I used black liquid and a tin foil turkey pan. I also supported the chassis so it was kind of floating, i.e. not laying on the bottom of the container. I let mine side in the liquid for a few hours.
    Lcg ultimate, mip's,castle SW8th 2200kv

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have done multiple rit dye jobs

the best was when I boiled it on the stove and let it boil for half an hour on the stove -- also used the liquid that time, probably a whole bottle in about 7 qts of water

I did anotehr one with powder, and just let it sit overnight, it didn't penetrate as well

I have done quite a few chassis. I have personally only ever used the liquid. For me, I let it boil for several hours on the stove and it comes out great! If you decide to do the Hot water and bowl, please take a lot of pictures and let us all know how well it works
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Hey all... I just did this exact method last night! Boiled a big pot of hot water with salt (no no not for flavour ) and transferred it over into a disposable aluminum tin container. Added my RIT black liquid dye (half bottle) and then sunk my slash chassis. Waited for about 30-40 minutes (impatient I know). It came out OK (kind of a dark dark Navy blue). In hindsight, I should of either used more of the dye (full bottle) or used the half bottle but let it soak in longer. I can post some pics later today so you can see the colour I ended up with. It doesn't look to bad... but I may try to re-dye it and get it darker.

RC Qualifier
    I've done a few chassis too, and I've only used powder Rit. I haven't been all sciency about this - just went with one whole bag each time. However, I've kept my mix close to boiling point all the way until I'm happy (all the way black). With a bigger pan I've kept a corner of the pan on the stove and slowly stirred the mix to spread the heat, while avoiding contact between chassi plastic and the hot corner of the metal pan. I've also put the entire pan in the oven at just below 100 degrees (C) to keep the mix warm.

From what I've read, if it doesn't turn black just let it sit longer and maybe add more dye. And - if possible - keep the water warm. Some say that actually boiling the plastic can make it softer, but if that's true I believe many would welcome some extra flex anyway
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    I boil 2 large pots at the same time. Dump it in a 5 Gallon bucket add powder and let it sit for 4 hrs. Black as it can get.
    I use powder
    Much easier than a tin foil pan. Tried that
    No mess at all

RC Qualifier
    Well. Ive ordered a brand new LCG chassis from Tower. Itll be a few weeks before it arrives but I can dye that one and if it works convert everything over. If not Ive not lost anything other than $14 and some dye. Going to attempt to keep it bubbling for an hour. Just need to find a cheap metal pot I can use to simmer

Rit Dye - Warm water?

Heat is your friend here. The heat opens the pores in the plastic, allowing penetration . Heat also can make the plastic/nylon stronger. Find a simple hot plate, use that.... 4 hours or more will give full color.......if you don't scrape things 2 hours will look fine
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Powder rit. Boiled water for 30 min and then dipped for 30 min. Let dry over night and its pitch black and no problems. The key is getting the water boiling and then add the dye, stir, then dip. Done.

RC Qualifier
    I also used a disposable tin turkey pan. I brought the water to a boil and dumped it in the pan. Put a full package of RIT black powder, put two chassis' in at the same time (Slash LCG and P4de), let them sit for an hour and a half. They both came out black as night.

RC Qualifier
    How do you weigh the chassis down? Doesnt it float?

Once and for all. Liquid or Powder?

RC Qualifier
    From what you can find in the various threads on this topic, liquiud and powder seem to work equally well. The chassi floats, but most of it stays under the surface. I use the spoon I use to stir the mix with to weigh the chassi down when I leave the mix unattended. You'll figure it out when you give it a go

Use enough dye (when in doubt, use more), keep it warm (avoid direct contact between chassi plastic and heat source), stir from time to time to distribute the dye and maybe flip the chassi now and then. If it's still e.g. dark blue and not black - let it sit longer. Not black after a few hours? Add more dye. I've done this four times. Always worked, although my Summit chassi took twice as long as my Stampede and Slashes.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsjo View Post
    From what you can find in the various threads on this topic, liquiud and powder seem to work equally well. The chassi floats, but most of it stays under the surface. I use the spoon I use to stir the mix with to weigh the chassi down when I leave the mix unattended. You'll figure it out when you give it a go

Use enough dye (when in doubt, use more), keep it warm (avoid direct contact between chassi plastic and heat source), stir from time to time to distribute the dye and maybe flip the chassi now and then. If it's still e.g. dark blue and not black - let it sit longer. Not black after a few hours? Add more dye. I've done this four times. Always worked, although my Summit chassi took twice as long as my Stampede and Slashes.
    This is the method I use as well.

RC Qualifier
    Got the dye just need the spare chassis to arrive

RC Qualifier
    And now we wait

Looks good The longer you can leave it in there the better it'll be...

I wasn't 'brave' enough to do mine indoors lol
    Seek forgiveness, not permission

Caveat lector!

RC Qualifier
    Did it while my mrs was at work haha. Left it in two hours. Its very black just gotta see how it dries now

RC Qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    Did it while my mrs was at work haha. Left it in two hours. Its very black just gotta see how it dries now
    Haha good man!

TBH I was more worried I'd have a brain fart and knock it or spill it Also by doing it on the BBQ I could leave it in there for as long as I liked.

Caveat lector!

I love me a black chassis... good job!

Looks great! The black chassis looks so good! It is simple to do but the first time you do it is quite intimidating.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Great work!

+1 on the initial intimidation factor

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Converting my other Slash to LCG so I may do it again

Once you go black...

Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    Thanks Converting my other Slash to LCG so I may do it again

Quick heads up, don't expect the foil pan you used the first time to be up to being used again. I found that mine had gone really thin in places and if I hadn't have noticed it probably would have leaked/split ☹️️

Hope yours is ok but best check before filling it with hot dye!

Caveat lector!