RC Racer

Motor bearings lube

I'm a noob and not sure how to oil the motor bearings, can I lube them from the outside with oil or do I have to pull the motor apart and oil them every time I run the boat? That seems like a lot of work for the result.

RC poster
    I don't think they need to be oiled they are ball bearings

RC Qualifier
    I use 10w30 oil, probably any oil will work. They do recommend that you oil them regularly. Put a drop on the shaft with the shaft up and sit for a while then put the other end up and do the same. I also turn the motor by hand while I do this. I do not remove the motor.
    They are ball bearing but not permanently lubed and in boat use they can get wet.
    Don
    Last edited by dontrinko; 07-26-2016 at 07:27 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks, that's what I've been doing, setting it on the bow and letting it sit with oil on the shaft. At some point I will pull the motor out and pull the rotor and inspect the bearings for wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler7065 View Post
    I don't think they need to be oiled they are ball bearings
    The motor bearings will absolutely need to be oiled. After each running session you need to get some sort of lube on the bearings to prevent them from rusting. I use WD40 to displace any water, then use a lightweight machine or bearing oil. Motor oil is better than nothing, but a little thick in my opinion.

This is true for all bearings, not just the motor bearings. If you run a Slash or something in water you need to clean / lube those bearings too.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Qualifier
    Motor oil is a little thick. I do have lite wt oil also and I should use it! ( motor oil is sitting on my desk where I work on the boat, light wt oil is in the basement.) hmmm maybe i can fix this!! Don

RC Qualifier
    Replace the bearings with the Boca ceramic bearings with the orange seals.They never need any lubrication and the ceramic bearings have less friction so it increases the motors performance. A very easy job to change bearings on these motors.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Replace the bearings with the Boca ceramic bearings with the orange seals.They never need any lubrication and the ceramic bearings have less friction so it increases the motors performance. A very easy job to change bearings on these motors.
    Which ones? The M41 isn't listed on their site yet.