RC Enthusiast

stock towards crawling adjustment - questions

Hi,

I have a 4x4 vxl pede. Meanwhile i f crawlingound that rock racing -crawling is quite facinating too. Therfore i want to adjust the stock a bit more towards crawling to achieve more slow speed control and accuracy.

Use 9t pinion to improve torque and decrease speed
    Use esc cooler fan since running slow over obstacles gets the esc hot
    Use 500k diff front and rear or silly putty to block the diffs
    Use crawling tyres

Do those topics make sense to achieve more crawling and at the same time not deviating so much from stock? Do they really bring some crawling improvements? Or do I miss some opportunities? Or are the effects neglect able and I should better go sensored brushless combo?

Thanks for any input

Silly putty? In diffs? Never heard of that before. The 9t is what comes in brushed pedes so if wanting rock crawling power go smaller on pinion or bigger on spur. Not sure if you can go bigger on spur though.

Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Racer
    Im pretty sure 54 spur is the biggest you can fit. As for silly putty, Ive heard of ppl here using it to lock the diffs. Problem with the vxl motor (i think most sensorless brushless motors) is at low speeds, there's a lot of cogging. The motor kinda stutters. Not sure how it will perform with a 9t pinion.
    I'm sure others will chime in with better/more info.
    Stampede 4X4 2700kv
    Xmaxx (stock)

I wonder if switching out the ring and pinion gears in the diffs to the brushed versions would help too. I'm pretty sure they are geared slower.

RC Enthusiast
    Ring & pinion gear: 5379x or 6778/6779?

Quote Originally Posted by alpsbasher View Post
    Ring & pinion gear: 5379x or 6778/6779?
    The 6778 and 6779 are what I was referring to. Not sure how much they will slow you down but it's worth a look.

RC Qualifier
    If you want to Rock Crawl why not just pick up a cheap RTR Rock Crawler.... A Stampede was not built from Traxxas to crawl

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grave75 View Post
    If you want to Rock Crawl why not just pick up a cheap RTR Rock Crawler.... A Stampede was not built from Traxxas to crawl
    As of today I would probably get myself a axial bomber and add a sensored brushless 17.5 turn moter. But its far from cheap and about the same price as stampede 4x4 vxl. And bomber stock rtr is really slow as compared even to a brushed pede. Therefore i wanted a crawling pede....
    What do you mean with cheap rtr rock crawler?
    Last edited by alpsbasher; 08-01-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grave75 View Post
    True but its brother the Telluride comes very close with more or less the same setup.
    What makes the Telluride better at crawling is the smooth brushed motor. But what many people dont know is that the vxl esc can run a smooth SENSORED brushless motor. Peek over at the Telluride section and read about how well a Stampede with longer and softer shocks, geared low with a sensored brushless or a brushed motor can do.

A sensored 550 sized motor and low gears with shocks would runn you around $70 - $80. A complete new rtr crawler truck would run you near $300.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Racer
    I was able to get pretty good low speed manuvering with the Stock Velinion motor, but if you are trying to get as low of gearing as you can put the brushed Pede diff gears in too. The VXL diff gear ratio is 2.846-1 where the Brushed diff ratio is 3.9-1. If you put those together with a 9t pinion, I would be willing to bet you can crawl reasonably well. Brushed diff #'s are 6779 and 6778

RC poster
    I suggest getting a good high power brushed system for it. Like the axial 55t motor... Lots of low speed power and torque.
    Owner of a 4x4 Rustler conversion

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by putput View Post
    I was able to get pretty good low speed manuvering with the Stock Velinion motor, but if you are trying to get as low of gearing as you can put the brushed Pede diff gears in too. The VXL diff gear ratio is 2.846-1 where the Brushed diff ratio is 3.9-1. If you put those together with a 9t pinion, I would be willing to bet you can crawl reasonably well. Brushed diff #'s are 6779 and 6778
    Do you know if one diff set is any stronger than the other?
    Owner of a 4x4 Rustler conversion

RC Racer
    Both diff gear sets are metal. I have not been able to break either set, with lots of trying lol.

RC Enthusiast
    Thats one of the great things about the Stampede, with a few changes it can become a totally different truck. It sounds like you're on the right track. I tried the exact same thing a few years ago and had a lot of fun driving on the hiking trails around town.

The things I did that made a big difference for crawling was to change the shock mounting position to the inner holes on the arm to get more articulation and get a gear reduction unit to lower the overall drive ratio. With an extra motor plate it was super easy to switch out the gear reduction and brushed motor with the regular one I run for bashing.

It's an old thread but you can read about what i did here,

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...er-trail-truck

RC Enthusiast
    But do the brushed stampi diffs survive a setting with stock vxl velineon and 9t pinion? Can one go with that setting full throttle?

Quote Originally Posted by alpsbasher View Post
    But do the brushed stampi diffs survive a setting with stock vxl velineon and 9t pinion? Can one go with that setting full throttle?
    Yes, i have my son's pede set up this way now and it works great on stock nimh and 2s lipo batteries. It keeps the top speed down and still lets him pop wheelies when he wants to.