Thread: E-revo gearing

RC poster

E-revo gearing

Hi I just got a E-revo used maybe a month ago and I just bought new pro line blockade tires "3.8" and their huge compared to the tires I had on the truck before. I need help hearing the truck best for bashing. Can anyone help? Current gearing is 68/20 I am aware this is too high. Yes it is the castle brushless "silver can". I want to be able to bash it but then throw it on 6s and not have problems.

RC Champion
    You really need to try a couple pinions and watch your temps before you find the best combination.

Try it with this setup, if your motor runs too hot, go with a smaller pinion.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Should I take some teeth down from the spur gear? I feel like a 68T is too big to start with?

RC Competitor
    18/65 is stock. Moving the spur up or down 3 teeth is around the same as moving the pinion up or down 1 tooth. That might help you a little.

Also, don't expect to run the ERBE with 6s without problems. It will take some upgrades/throttle control and time. Even then you might still have problems. I know I am.
    Rustler VXL
    ERBE
    X-Maxx

RC Champion
    Big spur is good.. big spur.

What you want is a smaller pinion.

RC poster
    What size pinon should I get? 18? 17?

RC Champion
    I recommend getting a laser temp gauge, and start driving your truck as is for 5mins and check temps.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    I recommend getting a laser temp gauge, and start driving your truck as is for 5mins and check temps.

I checked the temps today and they were as low as 140 and as high as 168F both heat gun and traxxas telementary system. is that good? on 6s

A temp gun is kind of a must have.....
    Hot motor + cool esc = under geared.
    Cool motor + hot esc = over geared
    Everything warm just right..

Part Number: RRP8721 <change the last two number for tooth count
    Manufacturer: Robinson Racing
    Hardened .8 mod 21T Pinion Gear with 5mm Bore (32 pitch)

6S or 4S = 18/54 Is a good starting point
    4S = 21/54 ~ 20/54 you are still pretty safe on temps but you still need to watch them till you get to know the truck better

Motor ~ 180/190F (82/88C) maximum, ideally 140/160F (60/71C), temps can be 10F higher inside the motor
    ESC ~ pretty much same temps / MMM Fan comes on @ 150F (65C)
    The MXL-6S / MM2 fan runs non-stop, also should be taken off when driving in wet conditions.
    Lipo's ~ 140F (60C) max, ideally 100/120F (38/49C).....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Very good info 87 GN
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

RC Competitor
    If you go the Robinson Racing route you'll want both pinion and spur because they are both hardened steel. The RR spurs for the ERBE only come in either 68 or 60. I bought the 60 and 19 pinion with a 21 on the way to test out. I set the slipper clutch loose to reduce wheelies and try and save my driveshafts amongst other things. 21/60 should be a pretty good all around gear set up.
    Rustler VXL
    ERBE
    X-Maxx

RC poster
    So it seems my motor temps on average on 6s is about 160 degrees, seems okay, how can I check my ESC temp? And 68/20 is current gearing, I have a 19 tooth pinon, should I try to gear down? I am having trouble with rod ends, what are the best recommended? Rear rod end

RC Champion
    A hot motor might also be a too weak motor for the gearing. So gearing down is necessary.

RC poster
    I'm running 18/62 on 6S with Badlands now and the motor temp after 10 minutes full driving is 170 degrees. I've added a heatsink with cooling fan yesterday and have to see what is does with the motor temps.
    But i wouldn't go 18/54 with 6S. Indeed keep checking your temps with a gun

What I also know is running ProLine Big Joe's 3.8 on 6S with 18/54 will kill your Castle motor :-)