RC poster

Problems and fixes for my SST

So I bought the SST a few weeks ago, read up on all the issues that these have. Before I even took delivery of it (bought online) I had the following parts on order.

Acer race bearings
    Associated 21115 Differential Rebuild Kit Rc18t
    3Racing RC18 Heavy Duty Ball Diff Tube Joint
    Alloy Ring and Pinion Gear #F18PT-024
    Associated 21383 Carbide Diff / Differential Balls
    Pre glued Teton tires
    New red body (originally bought a blue truck)

Since most parts came for hong kong, or that area of the world, I put on the new body and Teton wheels. Things were going great for stock setup but the motor was burning hot and had a hard time going through the grass. So off I went to the internet again, picked up a Castle Creations Mamba micro x 8200Kv ESC and motor and paired it with a Venom 3S 1300 lipo. First battery was fun/fine halfway through the second battery started the grind and poof both diffs blew up.

Off to the internet I went for the third time and this time picking up the following parts.

GPM SST160S-OC-BEBK STEEL COMPLETED TIE ROD
    Integy Composite Chassis Upper Plate
    Aluminum Front Knuckle Hubs by GPM LTX021
    Aluminum Rear Hubs by GPM LTX022
    Aluminum C Hub Caster Blocks by GPM LTX019
    Traxxas 6061-T6 Aluminum Blue-Anodized Front & Rear Driveshaft Assembly
    Yeah Racing Shock-Gear 60mm Damper Set For 1/10 RC Off Road Car #DSG-0060GM
    Aluminum Front/Rear Shock Tower brace
    Hot Racing Aluminum Rear Shock Tower LTN3001
    Hot Racing Aluminum Front Shock Tower LTN2801
    SST Rally 0.5 Mod 60T Steel Spur Gear SLTN60M05

So last night I installed the steel spur gear, Front & Rear Driveshaft, HR front and rear shock towers, Yeah racing shocks, composite chassis upper plate, and super glued the front a rear diffs together. Ran into a small issue where the Yeah racing shocks use a M3 x .5 thread so had to drill and tap out the HR shock towers. Got it all together just to find out 5 min into my testing that the steering servo gears have all stripped out. Ordered a RC Corona 939MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 2.7kg/ 12.5g/ 0.13sec.

As a trial I also ordered a set of Traxxas LaTrax Ring Gear Differential Pinion Gear & Traxxas Spool (Solid Axle) Aluminum LaTrax Blue TR. If you take the ring gear and break the center out of it, I used a pencil grinder and cut it out, you can replace the plastic gear on the solid axle with a metal one. Tested it out tonight and works perfectly.

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe 3s lipo is little bit over kill.Why you installed steel spur gear?btw post some pics.
    Slash 2wd,stampede 2wd,latrax sst

RC Racer
    Biggest issue I see is the 8200kv motor paired with the 3s, that's basically what I run on my rally. My sst is mamba 4100kv 2s/3s. My diffs are fine with 9t/60t heavy off-road bashing with new bright hard bodies. Lower your speed and power and you'll have a decent platform

RC poster
    Sorry for not updating this for a while, still waiting on a lot of the parts from hong kong.

Im also going to note that the 3Racing RC18 Heavy Duty Ball Diff Tube Joint did not fit the Alloy Ring and Pinion Gear #F18PT-024, once everything was installed it forced the bearings out to far and would not fit inside the diff case. Ended up ordering a Super Ball Diff Kit: TLR 22,22T,22SCT but i have a feeling this to will not work.

RC Racer
    I just recently had success with combining the aluminum ball diff outdrives with a stock latrax ring gear with the assistance of a cheap rotary tool. I run locked rear diffs so I break many axles and have been waiting patiently for my time to strike. The outdrives were from a discontinued brand called e-racers I think but we'll see how well it'll hold up.

RC poster
    alright so a new update. With some pics

So I ended up getting all new Hot racing front and rear hubs and knuckle, they fit the bearings a lot better then the gpm ones from hong kong. Still waiting on the shock braces and wheel spacers. Also took the truck to work since we have gram scales and put one under each tire to find the balance of the truck, ended up with a 10 once wheel weight put right behind the front passenger to give me almost perfect weight at all four corners.

I have still yet to find a ball diff that will fit this, so as of right now it running solid spools in the front and rear.

RC Competitor
    I know this is old so hopefully you see this but how did you tap the a arms for the larger thread? The two mount holes are so close.

I got the same shocks but worry that drilling one larger would not be stable since the material separating the holes would be gone basically.

RC poster
    sorry havent been on the forums for a while, the shock tower was still the plastic one. I just shoved the larger screw in the hole and forced/ drilled and tapped it with the screw its self