RC poster

Receiver or servos destroyed?

Hi all, I am wondering what has happened to my tmaxx 2.5. The other day I heard a beeping noise while sitting in my living room. I finally realized the sound was coming from the tmaxx that I had accidentally left on for several hours. The remote was off, however. Now, I just replaced the batteries in both the receiver and the transmitter, but when I turn it on, none of the servos are responding to the inputs except slowly, like extremely slowly and twitchy gradually going in the direction that I have input. The steering servo doesn't seem to me moving at all though. The shifter servo and throttle servo will do this twitchy gradual response. Any ideas? It is the old style TQ3 with crystals so I've already ruled out having to rebind the receiver with transmitter.

I am wondering if leaving it on for so long just sitting there if it could have damaged the receiver or burned out the servos?

Thanks in advance.

Try different batteries in the vehicle just to be safe. I've seen a battery be bad out of the package.

Next try unplugging all but one of the servos. See if it operates normally, or if any of the others do when plugged in one by one. If one servo has failed it could be drawing a lot of current and dragging the entire system down.

Typically just leaving it powered up wont cause any damage unless the servos are under a constant load. If the tires were wedged against something that was forcing them to turn or your throttle servo was straining against the linkage it could cause an eventual overheat of the servo board / motor.

Worst-case, buy a new servo (or borrow one from another truck that works) to test the radio system, again one channel at a time. That will tell you for sure if you have a radio system issue or a servo issue.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC poster
    Hi TireSlinger, thanks for the reply!

So I tried different batteries in both the receiver and the transmitter. Still does the same thing. I unplugged the servos and tried one at a time. With one servo plugged in it would initially work for one short motion at what seemed to be normal operation, but then after that first motion or maybe first second of operating it would go back to twitchy, slow response, however it is in the correct direction. It's acting almost like the batteries are dying, except they are all good. When plugged in individually like this they ALL respond in the same manner. For that first second or two they will operate correctly, then back to the glitchy movement. However, when they are all plugged in at the same time, only the shifter and throttle servos seem to be getting any sort of signal (however glitchy) while the steering servo acts as if it is completely dead.

Since they all act the same when plugged in individually, that makes me think it must be either the transmitter or receiver. Its hard to believe that all the servos would go bad at the same time and act in the same way, right? Bah! I hope I figure this out because I've had enough trouble with this thing already, but mostly with the engine. I bought it used, now I wish I had stayed away from it and just bought new! Haha, oh well, you learn as you go.

RC poster
    Hey! So I feel like a complete idiot now! haha.

I decided to tear the battery box completely apart to inspect the wiring and connections when I realized there are FOUR batteries in the battery box NOT two! Sorry, I'm such a newbie! lol!

Well, thanks for the help anyway. That's what I get for not digging deeper.

Nice! It's great when it's something simple like this. Need one of those wall posters "bang head here for stress relief".
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by raynon89 View Post
    Hey! So I feel like a complete idiot now! haha.

I decided to tear the battery box completely apart to inspect the wiring and connections when I realized there are FOUR batteries in the battery box NOT two! Sorry, I'm such a newbie! lol!

Well, thanks for the help anyway. That's what I get for not digging deeper.
    With all respects, you need to go over the owners manual in great detail.. Nitro engines will not forgive you if you run them out of tune. The battery ting would have been easily a non-issue as well....

These are hobby grade R/C's, not toys, they are fast, powerful precision machines.... They will also empty your wallet and increase frustationslike you never thought of if you don't go over that manual.. Enjoy!!!
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    Yeah I bought this thing used so dont have a manual and it's the old version that I cant find a manual for. I found and read over the manual for the newer version but it's not exactly the same so. Anyway, I've grown up working on engines and I'm comfortable with their interworkings. I tore the engine apart a couple days ago and the piston and sleeve are scored pretty bad. Which is probably why I couldn't get it to hold a tune or run properly. I sent the engine in for the power-up program and ordered a brand new engine. Main seal was leaking pretty bad too so it wasn't worth fixing.

RC Competitor
    I went the same route as you did Ray, I bought used so I can use it like I wanted to. What motor did u get?

RC poster
    Cool, yeah I just got a replacement .15. Didn't want to have to buy new exhaust and everything.