Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L'il Devil

L'il Devil

Hi All, I finally got some time to be able to share my Sl4sh. I always meant to start this thread at the same time as I did for my Sl2sh thread (HERE), but you know how life can get in the way of best intentions!

I’ve had my Slash 2wd for quite some time and realised about a year ago that I really wanted a Sl4sh and having thought about it on and off over last summer I decided to go for it. I wanted to build up from a Platinum or Ultimate LCG roller and also had a pretty good idea of what route I wanted to take with it as I knew I’d only ever run it on 3S and so had a ET-3s and 2400kv plus various other parts sat ready (hoarded up) and waiting. I’m a believer in trying to only do things once, so this is why I went with a roller rather than an RTR and I decided to fit certain upgrades from the get go rather than as and when I broke things.

Anyways my wife just gave me a JConcepts Bajr body shell for my birthday and as I need to change things around to make it fit how I want it to, it’s given me the kick in the butt I needed to finally start this thread!

So back to the end of last October, I found a Platinum roller off of the ‘bay from one of the USA chop shops and once it arrived I spent some time gathering various other items on my wish list (and a few that weren’t lol).

I then stripped everything down so I could dye the chassis, adding stainless fixings throughout & the initial build up was in a Short Course configuration as follows:

SC
    Team Associated SC10 body asc9876 (painted to mimic the SC10 Slick Mist shell but with Traxxas branding)
    DE Racing Trinidad SC10 4wd Wheels DER-SCT-A4B with rear webs trimmed for caster block clearance
    Proline 2.2/3.0 Trencher X SC M2 tyres 1190-01
    Traxxas Standard Front Bumper
    Traxxas Standard Rear Bumper Modified for RPM Wheelie Wheels rpm81312 and RPM Mud Flaps rpm81012
    RPM Nerf Bars rpm70652 with Velcro added to reduce body movement
    Traxxas LCG Chassis (RIT Dyed black on the BBQ in the rain!)
    Hot Racing Alum motor mount LCF38X06
    Traxxas Funny Car 2400kv 4Pole Motor
    Heavy Duty 5000mah 60c 3S Lipo’s
    Proline 4wd Protrac Suspension Kit 6082-00
    Traxxas driveshaft’s – standard but reversed to self clean
    Traxxas ET-3s ESC (flashed to latest Castle MMP Firmware) & waterproofed with conformal coating
    Proline Adjustable Body Mounts 6070-00
    Traxxas Telemetry added – RPM, Speed & Temperature
    Racers Edge Glitch Buster Capacitor RCE2474
    Traxxas standard steering bell crank tightened up with two thin shock clips
    Tekno Big Bone Centre Shaft TKR6855 (with Velcro dust seal)
    HPI SF50 WP Metal Geared Servo (266.6oz/in & 0.18sec/60deg at 6.0v)
    Losi Alum 25t Low Profile Servo Horn LOSA99039
    Dusty motors chassis Shroud
    Modified Battery mounts to suit adjustable Velcro strap
    STRC Hinge Pins ST3640 all four corners
    STRC 12mm Wheel Hex’s ST1654B
    RPM Up-travel Limiter Clips rpm70311
    RPM Front Bulkhead rpm73562
    Losi Ten-T linear medium spring set – LOSB2961
    Traxxas GTR Shocks
    Revo variable valve kit and 1.6mm drilled pistons with 40w all around at first but then 50w in just the rear

Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 08-05-2016 at 06:37 AM.
    Seek forgiveness, not permission

Caveat lector!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    sweet

nice build

Great build! I love that you are using an El Sob special motor system to get your truck going! They are getting nearly impossible to find
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Cheers guys!

Caveat lector!

L'il Devil

I ran it like this for ooo, maybe a month at most? LOL So I decided to revamp things as an MT and also add X01 spec diffs, stampede arm guards and fitted the Revo slipper.

So the MT spec then looked like this:
    Proline Baja VW Bug body 3238-62 taken off my Sl2sh (3 yrs old & more Shoe goo & Drywall tape than lexan)
    Proline 2.8 Trencher X 1170-00 on Traxxas Twin spoke 2.8 wheels 5572
    Proline 30 series Badlands 1143-00 on Proline 30 series Torque wheels 2694-01
    Trimmed down Traxxas Nerf Bars 7423 with Velcro added to reduce body movement
    Traxxas Rally/Stampede rear bumper 6777 with RPM Wheelie Wheels rpm81312
    HPI Maverick Wing and wing mount with turnbuckle stabilisers & handmade wing mount plates
    Traxxas Stampede Front 6732 & 6733 Rear Arm Guards (Trimmed to fit Protrac arms)
    Traxxas Revo Slipper assembly 5351 & 5352R (shimmed back to rear gearbox bearing)
    Traxxas X01 spec Diffs – 60k front & 30k rear fluid
    Proline Pro-MT Front Bumper on RPM lower bumper
    Traxxas LCG Chassis (RIT Dyed black)
    Traxxas ET-3s ESC (flashed to latest MMP Firmware specs) & waterproofed with conformal coating
    Modified Battery mounts to suit Velcro strap
    Traxxas GTR Shocks
    Revo variable valve kit and 1.6mm drilled pistons with 40w all around at first but then 50w in just the rear

Around this time the grass was cut at my usual bash spot and as the trimmings kept getting stuck all in and around the driveshaft’s and also being thrown up inside the body shell I added some guards out of scrap lexan leftover from a body shell. I tend to save these types of odds n ends as they can be used for so many different things.

Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 08-05-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Caveat lector!

Looking great! Can't wait to see what you do with the BAJR body!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

sweet rig! i get so jealous seeing it and reminiscing the feeling of having everything brand new.
    your truck is very similar to how i had my sl4sh built before i revamped the motor/esc system. only piece of advice i suggest would be to ditch the 12mm trinidads in favor of their 17mm variety along with some HR adapters when they strip.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Racer
    Call me crazy but aren't those the HR adapters in this pic he posted?

Quote Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
    Call me crazy but aren't those the HR adapters in this pic he posted?
    ]
    you are correct.
    i must have missed them as i was paying attention mostly to his parts list along with his photo with the proline wheels that he's running the 12mm hex's.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Monkey View Post
    I ran it like this for ooo, maybe a month at most? LOL So I decided to revamp things as an MT and also add X01 spec diffs, stampede arm guards and fitted the Revo slipper.

So the MT spec then looked like this:
    Proline Baja VW Bug body 3238-62 taken off my Sl2sh (3 yrs old & more Shoe goo & Drywall tape than lexan)
    Proline 2.8 Trencher X 1170-00 on Traxxas Twin spoke 2.8 wheels 5572
    Proline 30 series Badlands 1143-00 on Proline 30 series Torque wheels 2694-01
    Trimmed down Traxxas Nerf Bars 7423 with Velcro added to reduce body movement
    Traxxas Rally/Stampede rear bumper 6777 with RPM Wheelie Wheels rpm81312
    HPI Maverick Wing and wing mount with turnbuckle stabilisers & handmade wing mount plates
    Traxxas Stampede Front 6732 & 6733 Rear Arm Guards (Trimmed to fit Protrac arms)
    Traxxas Revo Slipper assembly 5351 & 5352R (shimmed back to rear gearbox bearing)
    Traxxas X01 spec Diffs – 60k front & 30k rear fluid
    Proline Pro-MT Front Bumper on RPM lower bumper
    Traxxas LCG Chassis (RIT Dyed black)
    Traxxas ET-3s ESC (flashed to latest MMP Firmware specs) & waterproofed with conformal coating
    Modified Battery mounts to suit Velcro strap
    Traxxas GTR Shocks

Around this time the grass was cut at my usual bash spot and as the trimmings kept getting stuck all in and around the driveshaft’s and also being thrown up inside the body shell I added some guards out of scrap lexan leftover from a body shell. I tend to save these types of odds n ends as they can be used for so many different things.

I like the way those look! I'm sure they do,and excellent job of keeping your axles clean. May we see a picture of them after they have been used?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Cheers Squeegie! As you can see I have them on both my Sl4sh and my Sl2sh and I'm really happy with them, however I have redone them to not pivot with the hub carrier. I'll dig out a pic...

Caveat lector!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo View Post
    i must have missed them as i was paying attention mostly to his parts list along with his photo with the proline wheels that he's running the 12mm hex's.
    Ah, well you're both right this is where I'd got to in March/April.

Like I said at the beginning, I've been meaning to get a thread going lol!

Plenty more to come

Caveat lector!

L'il Devil

I only run 3s Lipo’s in my RC’s and even so I found the 2400kv funny car motor to be a bit of a disappointment after all the hype, as it was just too slow for me even gearing up it towards 20/50 and beyond. With the higher gearing the motor would then be over 180°F and/or the ESC would go into thermal shutdown in less than 10 minutes of running. Admittedly this was on 3 to 4 inch grass (soccer pitch) with a heavy trigger finger, but was only around 60°F ambient. So when I saw that Kershaw Designs were clearing out their 2700kv motor I jumped in and was lucky enough to get one of the last ones before they sold out. I found I needed to shave the receiver box slightly for everything to fit in nicely.

With 17/54 gearing the KD 2700kv motor is the perfect mix of speed and torque without the weight/size issues of a 1/8th system. I also decided to fit a heat sink and fan to the motor purely from a ‘peace of mind’ standpoint and this has been working out really well. Unfortunately I’m still struggling with the ET-3s going thermal through a lipo pack when running it hard.

Oh and I found that household Velcro is no match for 3s ☺

With a little more run time I found that I kept swapping between the Traxxas GTR springs and the Losi spring set LOSB2961 without finding a set up that I was happy with and so after searching various threads/forums I went with the Losi spring tuning sets for the Ten-SCTE (LOSB2959 & LOSB2963) which are much better to tune with and don’t rub the shock bodies like the LOSB2961’s did.

The new performance also came at the expense of rear driveshafts and also the trenchers and Badlands needed gluing back on the wheels after almost every run. So after looking at various threads/forums I decided to make some additional changes, such as RPM’s Stablemaxx 3.2 wheels with the 2.8 trenchers/Badlands stretched over them and also went with the 10mm width Hot racing 12mm to 17mm adaptors.

As always I made sure to balance the wheels.

Having finally got fed up with replacing the rear driveshaft’s (used all my spares) and being really pleased with the Traxxas 1951r CVD’s on my Protrac Sl2sh I took advantage of Towers coupon codes and have now fitted these in the rear only as the standard fronts seem to be coping all ok.

The next thing on my mind was the body height, as I wanted to get it as low as I could. With a bit of lateral thinking the body now sits about 1.0mm above the front shock caps – perfect! I also used some offcuts to make some front wheel well guards, which were painted up with Tamiya PS-5 and PS-55.

Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 08-13-2016 at 05:31 AM.

Caveat lector!

Nice work!

I just did the Badlands MX28s on 3.2s as well.
    Haven't run them yet, but loving the look!

Nice work!

I just did the Badlands MX28s on 3.2s as well.
    Haven't run them yet, but loving the look!
    Thank you kind sir!

Yes, I saw Generalpedes MX28's and thought they looked great. Might well try them next time. I do love my Badlands, although there's something to be said for the lesser grip of the Trenchers as power drifting and sliding can be great fun.

Caveat lector!

L'il Devil

Next item in the firing line was the servo. I wanted something fast, waterproof, metal geared and with good torque but i didn't want to go for a Savox due to the common comments on how power hungry they are and i didn't want to also need a BEC. Oh and if possible i wanted a decent price!

After a lot of searching I decided to go with a Power HD WP-23 Waterproof Super Torque Digital Servo.

Torque: 23.0 kg-cm (319.4 oz/in)(6.0V)
    Speed: 0.12 sec (6.0V)
    Operating Voltage:4.8 ~ 6.6 DC Volts
    Weight: 75 g (2.65 oz)
    Bearing Type:Ball Bearing x 2
    Gear Type:Titanium/steel
    Size:40.7 x 20.5 x 38.5 mm ( 1.60 x 0.80 x 1.49 in)

Considerable improvement over the Traxxas 2075 which is 0.16 sec/60° @ 6.0V and 9.00 kg-cm (125 oz-in) @ 6.0V

Really happy with it as it moves the 2.8's much faster and with more authority than before and was less than $40.

Caveat lector!

L'il Devil

As mentioned above, my wife gave me a JConcepts Bajr body shell for my birthday last month and I started rough trimming the body and looking at how best to get the body mounted nice and low.

I drilled out the M3 body mount screws to M4 where they are screwed into the shock towers and screwed in M4 grub screws, added a couple of wheel nuts & a scrap of lexan and I now have screw cap front mounts that are infinitely adjustable for height.

For the rear I also took these out to M4 but fabbed up a small mount that can be altered for height using spacers.

When test fitting I really wasn’t happy with the lack of support to the sides of the body shell and so I modded the standard body mounts and added some Velcro to these so as to keep the body movement to a minimum.

Whilst this was going on I picked up a standard St4mpede front bumper and the paint I had decided on.

With this done I then fabbed up some wheelwell/mud guards (again) from scrap lexan.

So now I was ready for paint! However you’ll have to be patient as fate intervened at this point! I'd been awaiting neurosurgery since Christmas and got a phone call to say a cancellation had come up and I was being admitted in 36 hours, eek!

So at this point everything got put on hold...
    Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 09-05-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Caveat lector!

Great job on the fab for the BAJR body so far.

I hope all goes well with your surgery!

Cheers Squeegie, I really hate having the body banging and rattling around & appreciate the good wishes!

Caveat lector!

L'il Devil

So one ACD later I was back home but unfortunately I’m stuck here as I’m not allowed to drive for at least 6 to 8 weeks (eek!!!!!), BUT it did mean that once I felt up to it I had loads of time to get busy with the spray cans:

Apologies for the quick n dirty indoor shots as this is literally the next day after finishing with paint and just placing the body on the chassis to double check fitment/alignment etc. I didn't want to mess about with it too much as it's way too easy to get impatient before the paint has properly hardened andset.
    Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 09-13-2016 at 04:45 AM.

Caveat lector!

BAJR looks great!

Keep it up and glad you're feeling better.

Turned out fantastic.Love the colors!
    Traxxas Slash Platinum Edition

L'il Devil

As we had a few nice sunny days and as I was already starting to feel a bit stir crazy I got the decent camera out…

Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 09-17-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Caveat lector!

I hope you all like the new look!!

Any questions/comments, fire away!

Caveat lector!

Me likey!

Me too!!! Very nice. Now go and break it in!!

Hope you are doing better.
    Slash 4x4 Tekin RX8GenII w/Pro4 4300hd

L'il Devil

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Next thing i did was add some light.

I have a “onetoomanyrcs” 2” LED Lightbar on my Sl2sh and although I’m perfectly happy with it (It’s fantastically bright when running straight off the 3s Lipo), I wanted something slimmer for slotting into the front between the bumper and shell, so I ordered the new Proline 2” LED Light bar kit 6276-00 from Tower.

It’s really nicely put together and after some um-ing and ah-ing I got busy mounting it up and wiring it in. I knew I’d want to run it straight off of my 3s lipo and so I got a cheap 3s balance lead, cut it down and then added a BEC plug to the other end. This way I can easily and securely connect it straight to the balance plugs of my lipos. It’s not a bright as the onetoomanyrcs one but it’s really, really not that far off.

Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 09-17-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Caveat lector!

Oh, and as I was bored I then messed around with wheels...

Enjoy!

Caveat lector!

Street versions look nice!

When the bumper gets pushed back, do the LED light bar mounting brackets clear the front shocks? Looks like they'll hit...

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Monkey View Post
    I only run 3s Lipo’s in my RC’s and even so I found the 2400kv funny car motor to be a bit of a disappointment after all the hype, as it was just too slow for me even gearing up it towards 20/50 and beyond.
    i've been saying this all along too.
    as much as the 2400kv is promoted around here the best application for it is in the stampede 4x4. to get real results from a motor swap for the slash 4x4 on 3s+ you should be looking at 1:8 scale power systems.
    truck is coming along great by the way.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Qualifier
    I really like what your doing with it.

Nice Bajr! Looks great!
    "Gone racing"

L'il Devil

Street versions look nice!

When the bumper gets pushed back, do the LED light bar mounting brackets clear the front shocks? Looks like they'll hit...
    Oooo, good call! I hadn't noticed that, so i've repurposed part of a broken rear 2wd shock tower and the light bar now sits nicely in the bumper and away from the shocks & sway bar

Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 09-19-2016 at 04:37 AM.

Caveat lector!

Awesome build!

I really like the look of the Proline Baja buggy body and the wing.

What parts do I need in order to install a wing like that on my Slash?
    Traxxas Slash 4x4 LCG, 2650kv

Quote Originally Posted by waqrrr View Post
    Awesome build!

I really like the look of the Proline Baja buggy body and the wing.

What parts do I need in order to install a wing like that on my Slash?
    Hi, Thank you!

I bought a wing and mount from an eBay chop shop. It's a generic HPI buggy wing & mount that is fitted across a number of their ranges and models.

I then fab'd up a pair of plates and some spacers to sandwich the shock tower. I ended up reversing the two sides of the mount to better fit the plate i had made. Finally to help protect the rear shock tower i added a pair of spare turnbuckles to add support back down to the rear bumper and with these it's taken high speed crashes and numerous tumbles with only once pulling the turnbuckle out of the rod end.

The specific wing mount is HPI part 101369 although i also have HPI part 67521 on my sl2sh. Both can be made to work with some "fettling"

Caveat lector!

L'il Devil

Been a while, so here's a few recent pics.

Caveat lector!

L'il Devil

These were taken at a local soccer club and so when you find a nice sandy spot...

Unfortunately nice warm sunshine is a distant memory as it's 40-50 degrees here and wet, wet, wet!

Been thinking a lot about mounting up some sand paw paddles in case it snows...
    Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 11-14-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Caveat lector!

Looks like fun!

Did you tint your windows bark blue?

Looks like fun!

Did you tint your windows bark blue?
    Cheers Squeegie! Yes, although it wasn't meant to be that dark lol. I used Tamiya PS38 Translucent blue.

Although i'm really happy with the look, in hindsight i would do it again but next time i would apply really lightly and check how it looked once mounted up each time.

Caveat lector!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast