RC poster

Fried stock motor?

I swapped out my stock Stampede 2WD wheels/tires with some 2.8 Pro-Line Trenchers and after about 15 minutes of bashing around on blacktop, I noticed smoke coming from the motor right before it died. I've swapped out wheels and tires many times on my Slash, Telluride, etc. and never had an issue. I'm guessing the wheels had more traction or more weight?

So now that I have a stock Stampede without a motor, what would you guys suggest? I'd like to keep it a simple repair as I am fairly new to the hobby and am not 100% confident in my abilities! Is there a better motor that I could just drop in? I am guessing I'll need to go with a smaller pinion...
    Last edited by RCHemi43; 08-09-2016 at 11:41 AM.

RC Qualifier
    You're correct, the tires generated a ton of traction/heat on that blacktop, which fried your motor. Trenchers are really meant for off-road driving more than anything. I'd personally recommend ditching the brushed motor and just getting a brushless system if you can afford it. If you want to keep experimenting with different gearing/tires/terrain, brushed motors just don't last very long. Look here in in the marketplace section or on eBay for used brushless system if you want a bargain.

RC Qualifier
    I like simple and would spend $125 on a the stock VXL motor and esc. Night and day difference in power and fun.

If you stay brushed, go electrifly s600 motor.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede 4x4
    Stampede 2WD

brushed or brushless? are you sure it was the motor? others have thought the same but after we have them inspect it it sometimes was the slipper was loose and melted the spur and sometimes messed up the slipper pads.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up putting another 12t Titan back in and dropped the pinion to a 14t. it is pretty much a bashing truck for the 7 year old so I didn't want to put too much into it.