RC Competitor

Starting issues and stalling.

So first I'll say I've reinstalled the 3.3. I've rebuilt it and replaced all gaskets and shims Ect. Same piston and sleeve but they were cleaned off.

Also installed the losi carb I had sitting around.

Truck does start and it idles perfect. I can idle a whole tank away and it won't stall or sputter. I'd does seem rich as it sprays some raw fuel out the pipe.

When running the truck on a stand it runs great. No sputter no nothing. I only idle or do 1/4 throttle blips to see if it's stalling out.

Temps are good at around 230 250 ish. This was tested when running the tuck outside on the ground. It never over heated and stayed between 230 and 250 consistent.

Problem is it takes along time to start and requires a lot of pulls on the pull start. Around 50 plus sometime if I'm lucky and I always have to prime it by blowing in to the pressure line to the tank. I try covering the stinger and giving it a few pulls and very little fuel moves from the tank to carb.

Not sure why it won't prime. But once it's running it will idle all day and not die.

Things ive replaced

Carb
    Owb
    Starter shaft
    Fuel tank and lines
    Back plate
    New o rings.
    Head shim
    Air fliter
    Glow plug is new
    Clutch bell bearings
    New zip ties on exhaust coupler

I've cleaned out the exhaust and it was not overly gunk ed up.

Right now I'm at 3.5 turns out on HSN and 5-5.25 turns out on LSN.

Any ideas cause I'm stumped. It should prime and start I'm at another dead end.

RC poster
    Hmm, I was going to say maybe the tank itself has a leak. But you said you replaced it. Doesn't neccesarily mean that it still doesn't have a leak just because its new. It does sound like an air leak somewhere if it won't prime. Mine primes real fast. I just cover the stinger and it will prime in about 2 seconds. Maybe use some RTV on the carb where it slides into the engine. Hard starting is usually caused by being to rich. Maybe trying leaning it out just a hair. Little increments go a long way with these things it seems.

RC Competitor
    Seems fuel does expire or I had a bad jug. I got new fuel today and she is alive. Went through a few good tanks and she is good

RC poster
    Awesome. I wouldnt have expected the fuel. How old was it? Are you running the traxxas stuff?

RC Competitor
    Was running sidewinder 20% nitro 12%oil. Now running blue thunder 20% nitro and 11% oil. But I only got 1L of it. The Traxxas fuel is hard to come by up here and my hobby shop had none.

Truck runs really good now. Pretty happy. Need new tires soon though. Now that the truck seems to run good accually all 3 of my RCs are running good (ecx torment 2wd electric, losi lst xxl2 gas) might try some racing next year with the ecx. Starting to get the hang of this hobby I think. But been a expensive 1st year in the Hobby.

RC poster
    Awesome man. I am already in the market for another RC. I got my nitro, now I am thinking I need a brushless. Just to mix things up. We will see. I was looking at the 1/16th scale E-Revo. But I dont know. I think i might be going with an 8th scale.

RC poster
    Does the air filter need to be on the truck for it to run correct

It'll run fine without the air filter but due to the very tight tolerances of the engine any bit of dirt that enters will destroy the internals. So it's either a $10 air filter or a $100 engine.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    ^ditto. DO NOT run it without the airfilter. The thing will grenade in no time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    It'll run fine without the air filter but due to the very tight tolerances of the engine any bit of dirt that enters will destroy the internals. So it's either a $10 air filter or a $100 engine.
    I knocked mine off while running once and it was quite noticeable actually. It will lag when you accelerate and will start to run hot from being so lean.