Thread: New To Rc cars

RC poster

New To Rc cars

Hello, I am new to the Rc world, and after research on what vehicle to start off with, I have started with a Slash 4x4, 1/16.

I just wanted to get a few tips from pros, or everyday users. When should I tune up my vehicle? How do I know what engine fits in it? Is there anything I should do to it after daily use? Just tips, these are only examples. Links to videos or any information is appreciated much. Thanks guys!

RC Enthusiast
    You might want to shim your diffs sometime. Opening up your RC is a learning experience and you'll get to know the inside of your RC better. If you didn't know, shimming your diffs basically means putting a little ring in inside your RC to hold 2 gears together (video below explains in great detail and how to do it). You do this because over time the gears start slacking which will lead to wear and damaged teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnq6PQ2nDpg
    1/16 E-Revo VXL

I second the shimmed diffs. While you have access to the diff I would open it up and check its fluid fill level. From the factory my front had a good amount of fluid but my rear was bone dry.
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

Tune ups don't really apply to electric vehicles. You plug the battery in and go. As far as what motors fit most 540 and 380 size motors will work depending on what mount you have. As far as maintenance goes just try to keep excessive dirt off after the run. Mud is a lot of fin but be sure to rinse the car off when you are done. Then just fix and repair as necessary.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    Awesome, thanks for the info guys, is there any tool set that you guys recommend?

Also would there be any engine you recommend?
    Last edited by Mariom1988; 08-11-2016 at 12:13 AM.

RC poster
    Really appreciate it!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariom1988 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info guys, is there any tool set that you guys recommend?

Also would there be any engine you recommend?
    Welcome to the correct forum =D (I saw your post in 1/10 4x4 Slash lol)

I have this set and the only issue I've ever run in to is that it is too long to get in between certain places (but that's because I modified things and was too lazy to take parts off to make space)
    http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2833

AS far as motors go I'm running the stock velineon 380 motor with a Castle creations sidewinder 3 esc. I like the sidewinder because it's much better at braking and provides much more power than the stock esc does with the stock motor.

Is your slash Brushed or brushless?

I hear a lot of people enjoy the mamba max pro set ups. If you have a brushed slash then you already have the right motor mount I believe.

I also third shimming diffs.

Lastly, keep in mind that the 1/16 summit, E-Revo, and Slash all share the same chassis. So that means many parts from the other two vehicles will work on yours(for the most part) Specifically springs lol. I'm running the purple summit springs which are way stiffer than any of the stock revo springs available.

RC poster
    Thank you JC for directing me to the proper place. I really appreciate it.

I just recently purchased everything needed for shimming the diffs, but I am not sure how to check out if my RC is brush or brush less, I get the difference by what google has told me, and from what it seems, this would depend on my motor, is that correct?

RC poster
    I see that wasn't you that directed me, but someone else.