"Servo Savers" the untold story.

Of course, this all started when I started wondering what would be a good Servo saver test. I wanted to know, because I kept having problems with my steering servo. In the old days (the 540 motor NiCad days), we use to adjust our off road servo savers, so that they could move about 1/2 of their travel. For blacktop servo savers we kept the travel very tight.

With my Emaxx, Summit, and XO-1; there is no adjustment. For my Emaxx I needed for my servo saver to be looser, because I was striping servo gears with regularity. What I had to do due to no adjustment was to round off the sharp corners of my servo saver's sliding contact points to get it to have good movement. Since I've gotten more movement with my Emaxx's servo saver, I've had no servo issues.

With my Xmaxx, I was having an issue where my servo's center point kept moving. I didn't happen often, but when it did I had to take the front end apart to correct it. Also, it happened enough that I wanted to replace the servo. Problem was, if I replace the servo is the problem going to be fixed, or is there something causing the problem. Generally speaking, back in the old days, when we had a steering servo problem we always checked our servo savers. When I checked my Xmaxx's servo saver I couldn't budge it.

This part here would not move in either direction.

As I was trying to take my servo saver apart, I discovered something. I discovered that unlike my other Traxxas goodies the Xmaxx's servo saver is adjustable...go figure. Anyway, a 2.5mm hex will do the trick.

Now, I can get the movement I need to truly save my servo's.

I talked to Traxxax and Aeromarine, and they told me that the setup of a servo saver is an individualistic thing. Anyway as I said above, for me (dirt) 1/2 travel and (asphalt) I put tight. The big thing for me was finding out the Xmaxx's servo saver is adjustable. I figure if more guys knew about it, maybe there will be less steering servo problems for us all.

Something else I discovered, and that is the connecting rod from my steering servo to my steering linkage was in wrong. Mine was in this way, and it can bend very easily.

This way seems to be the right way. It can still bend, but not nearly as easy. What I did was make a new one that has a steel rod in it for strength. The length from center ball to center ball is 1 7/8 inches long. The Traxxas P/N is 5525, and the bolt is 4mm x 30mm.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-11-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    Of course this doesn't change the fact that the servo still has plastic gears... LOL!

Seriously, of all the things Traxxas did, it just absolutely blows my mind that they made a "high torque' servo (as they refer to it), with plastic gears. Someone at Traxxas should be ashamed... That's such an epic fail.

RC Champion
    Nice!!!! Thanks for the infos
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

With the modern plastics we have today plastic isn't a big deal like it was years ago. Plus, you can strip both plastic and aluminum servo gears if the servo saver isn't adjusted right. It's that old saying " why use a jackhammer when a mallet will do."

RC Racer
    Bashing my X just turned serious as a mo fo......what?
    Open every day....

Bashing my X just turned serious as a mo fo......what?
    I don't understand.

RC Racer
    Sorry, my racing days spoke out of turn. Just bashing around and having fun steering function for me isn't as serious as if I was trying to get to the A main. That's all, you definitely answered some questions on the stock servo and steering set up so thank you for the post.....
    Open every day....

RC Racer
    The steering linkage was a great idea btw....
    Open every day....

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    ...The big thing for me was finding out the Xmaxx's servo saver is adjustable. I figure if more guys knew about it, maybe there will be less steering servo problems for us all...
    terrific find, I had no idea it was adjustable. thanks.
    rizzodtheRCvlogger - www.youtube.com/user/rizz0d

One thing I should mention. If a person want to make a new connecting rod (as I did), you will have to trim a little plastic off of each P/N 5525...about 3/16 from each piece.

RC Racer
    Open every day....

Sweeeeeet!

RC Qualifier
    Recently saw video on YouTube,from UK,person installed longer screw an a lock nut underneath. Because he claims screw can loosen and poor steering can occur. anybody see this an thoughts.(talking bout screw threw center of servo saver)

I haven't had that happen to me, but that's not to say that it couldn't happen. Generally, what I see is that dirt and grim will cause my servo saver to lockup. I just got done with the maintenance of my Xmaxx's front end, and I can see that I'm going to have to keep an eye on my servo saver from time to time during my Xmaxx's RC season. I don't want to start having steering problems again due to dirt and grim undoing what I did last year by locking up my servo saver.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-08-2016 at 06:14 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been searching for info on how the servo saver was setup stock and found this. I just stripped a servo gear this weekend and have a 2085x to install. My question is if you guys are putting grease or oil on the servo saver like it comes stock or cleaning everything off and running it dry? I ran 1/8th scale buggies for years and never had good luck with any kind of lube on the saver without it getting stuck and failing to function at some point.
    V1 XMAX6 V2 SNAP-ON XMAXX and Spartan

I now run mine dry, and check it once in a while. When mine was greased it collected dirt faster making it lockup quicker.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I now run mine dry, and check it once in a while. When mine was greased it collected dirt faster making it lockup quicker.
    Thanks RegularGuy,I'm going to clean it and run them both dry. Did you upgrade your servo? I'm also debating if I should use the heavy spring or not?

V1 Max6. V2 stock. Spartan.
    V1 XMAX6 V2 SNAP-ON XMAXX and Spartan

No, I still have the original stock servo and spring, but someday (when my servo poops out on me) I would like to get that new, fancy-pancy, all metal geared one...and, you're very welcome.