RC Racer

MIP X Duties Making Tires Come Off

Ever since I installed MIP X Duty half shafts, my Trenchers have been coming off my Proline Split Six beadlock rims. The screws are tight. The tires start coming off on the back, then pop off the front. Has anyone had this problem? I'm thinking the extra weight of the X Duties is putting more torque to the wheels and causing them to come off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    beadlocks suck.... that is the reason this is happening....

most end up gluing them anyways

proline themselves even says they aren't for hi speed applications

el sob is the only person I know of, that hasn't had problems with his beadlocks, but his are all aluminum, and not cheap

After trial and error I can now keep mine on the proline beadlocs when running 3s.

I always tape the tires and use a small thin line of shoe goo run just under the tire bead and this has held up really well with no blow outs so far. Bonus is that the wheel can still be split and reused and the goo comes off both nice and cleanly whilst gripping really, really well! TBH when I recently changed the Trenchers to Gladiators they took a concerted effort to remove!

The only other difference is that to reduce the undamped and rotating mass I run rccarbonworks carbon fibre bead lock rings and 12mm alum fixings.

Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 08-13-2016 at 03:44 AM.
    Seek forgiveness, not permission

Caveat lector!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    beadlocks suck.... that is the reason this is happening....
    el sob is the only person I know of, that hasn't had problems with his beadlocks, but his are all aluminum, and not cheap

What a foolish remark....

But you don't use them so......

Beadlocks do not suck, MOST people do not know how to mount them.

What the issue is is caused by ballooning, which throws the bead out.The taller the tire, the more growth occurs.

With delrin beadlocks, you need to rough up the area where the bead sits. Clean thoroughly with alcohol, then mount slowly.

The foams you have inside will make a HUGE difference, BUT wrapping fishing line around the tire will work well...45 to 60#

braided line works well..Also ProLine beads are thick.....patience!

These SS TSL XL's are one of the tallest tires at 5.9" they stay on the beadlocks at 3s power

These ruptures mounted well on the Proline wheels, but NOT the tall Swampers, they must be

tied to stay on with 3s...BUT they are for crawling, not speed runs
    Last edited by MikeMcE; 08-13-2016 at 06:54 AM.
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Tape your tires and put a decent bead of silicone caulk on each part of the bead. Tighten them down evenly and be careful not to strip the screw hole, which can happen VERY easily. The caulk will help hold the bead in place like glue would but it will come back off very easily. Shoe Goo is another option (as previously mentioned), but I have no idea how hard that is to remove. I have used it to reinforce a body before and I don't see any way I could possibly get it back off. It seems like it would be impossible to get it back off the plastic wheels.

By the way, it's not the MIP's that are making the beadlocs come off, it's the speed of the truck and the ballooning.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldCoast View Post
    Ever since I installed MIP X Duty half shafts, my Trenchers have been coming off my Proline Split Six beadlock rims. The screws are tight. The tires start coming off on the back, then pop off the front. Has anyone had this problem? I'm thinking the extra weight of the X Duties is putting more torque to the wheels and causing them to come off.

I believe that you now know that you can give the truck more throttle off the line without breaking axles. Harder launches could be what is causing the tires problems staying on the rims. My aluminum beadlock rims do work pretty darn well! I'm very happy with them
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldCoast View Post

I believe that you now know that you can give the truck more throttle off the line without breaking axles. Harder launches could be what is causing the tires problems staying on the rims. My aluminum beadlock rims do work pretty darn well! I'm very happy with them

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Monkey View Post
    After trial and error I can now keep mine on the proline beadlocs when running 3s.

I always tape the tires and use a small thin line of shoe goo run just under the tire bead and this has held up really well with no blow outs so far. Bonus is that the wheel can still be split and reused and the goo comes off both nice and cleanly whilst gripping really, really well! TBH when I recently changed the Trenchers to Gladiators they took a concerted effort to remove!

The only other difference is that to reduce the undamped and rotating mass I run rccarbonworks carbon fibre bead lock rings and 12mm alum fixings.

I think I'll try the shoe goo trick to see if I can get some use out of my split sixes. If it doesn't work, they're going in the trash. Thanks for the tips! Sounds like a messy job. Lol

Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Racer

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I didn't have a problem breaking axles from too much throttle before I got the MIPs. I would break them from crashes. I had broke my sixth one when I decided to upgrade. I didn't have the problem with the tires popping off the rims before I got the MIPs. Dang it... I'm going to try shoe gooing them. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'm back to gluing.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by GoldCoast; 08-13-2016 at 08:54 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Don't try shoe good. Get you a tube of Permatex liquid gasket. That is what some of our fellow members are talking about when they say silicone. It is designed to peel off. I have had great success with the aluminum beadlock rims. You have to do,what you have to do