RC Competitor

Why put 2.8's on?

Love my new Slash Ultimate. Running it in sandy desert conditions in SoCal. So it's bone stock (with 2S Lipo's) and I think it runs great with the stock tires. I will likely upgrade to Badlands at some point when the stock tires are worn out to see if they improve traction in the loose sandy conditions where I run but it's not a super critical issue for me. My question is (and forgive my ignorance because I'm new to RC Cars) why are so many Slash owners upgrading to 2.8 tires? Is it just for that big tire look, or do 2.8 tires drastically improve traction, stability, control, speed, etc.? Edumacate me please!

A lot of it is the ability to go over rougher terrain (more ground clearance) and the MT look.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Gotcha Greatscott...Idaho huh? Land of the free...and unlimited magazine capacity unlike this dreadful state

RC Racer
    The 2.8's on sand is a huge difference . Also 2.8 paddles in snow are wAyyyyy better. The height lets you dig in deeper and the width gives you better forward traction. For any kind of street use or smooth surface the sc size tires work better but any kinda of very loose surface like mud ,sand or snow 2.8 is the way to go

I had some 2.8s on my 4x4, and if you are a basher, get them. I would recommend sand paws for you, they work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

Quote Originally Posted by ljl23 View Post
    I had some 2.8s on my 4x4, and if you are a basher, get them. I would recommend sand paws for you, they work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've never ran sand paws but have a lot of time with sling shots.
    The sand paws look like they'd be far more aggressive but keeping the front end down with the sling shots was a pain, I can only assume sand paws will be more aggressive.
    Best of luck to you either way rockgarden.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Why put 2.8's on?

I found control with my 4x4 on the 2.8 tires. Much more grip, as I run 3s ballooning is an issue, without taping the 2.8's have a larger contact patch when ballooning . The traction also makes a difference
    I couldn't control my rig with the CC2650 motor without the 2.8's....
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Racer
    I put 2.8 trenchers on my truck and they run way better! On road they bite down and pull and keep traction nice, and they soak up so much force that my truck takes. I'd recommend!

RC Enthusiast
    I also did 2.8 trenchers. They are great for loose ground and anywhere you need ground clearance. They don't really shine on high grip surfaces though. For street running I prefer the stock tires that came on my ultimate. Wheelies are easier to manage with the stockers. But when the snow falls, or playing in the sand, the 2.8s get the job done.

i used trenchers and intercos and they both worked really well. i went with the 2.8s because i got a ton more use out of them than i did any other buggy or sc tire i tried.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky