Thread: Stampede Speed?

RC poster

Stampede Speed?

I am currently owning a Traxxas Stampede 4X4 with a 7000Mah 50C 2S Lipo.

2 Days ago (From posting this) i Installed my Velineon 3500 Motor and ESC Set into my car.

When i did a Speed Run outside the Speed seemed incredibly Slow. It goes just as fast as the Titan 12T would, but then a little bit faster. Somewhere between 35-40 Kmph. I tried Calibrating The ESC And Switching Modes (Training Mode, Racing Mode, Etc.) But it kept going as slow as it was. Did i do something wrong during the installation or is something wrong
    with my Motor and/or ESC? Because when i drive My Dad's E-Revo VXL With 1500Mah Nimh it goes somewhere around 50-60Kmph. Any solutions? :|

RC Qualifier
    What gear set are you running ?

sent from Northern Vermont

RC poster
    The Default one, im not sure what kind it is.

RC Racer
    Sounds like you had a brushed pede which has taller gear ratios. If so, try a 15/16 tooth pinion and you will get some good speed

RC poster
    @Feral Thanks man. I will look at it

To be honest idk what issue is. When I installed my 3500kv brushless motor in brushed P4de there was a very noticeable increase. I went from being slower than VXL to faster than VXL. I wouldn't suggest running on 16 or 17t pinion because motor and esc may get hot if bashing. You may be ok on 2s but watch temps! That size pinion is only for limited street speed runs. When bashing run 11 or 12t. Stock VXL is 11t.

There is one other thing to consider. The gearing in the diffs. Imo I would run 12t pinion and get the VXL ring and pinion gears for differentials. Then you'll have best of both worlds. Quick little street runner and a nice little yard basher.

I run 12/50 in my Vxl on either 2s or 3s.

Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Last edited by Briber; 08-16-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    @Briber Thanks

I have the velineon 3500 system in my son's pede that started life as a brushed xl5. With the stock diffs and 9t pinion it's still pretty slow compared to my stock vxl. This is great for him since his driving skills are still a little scary. As was said above going with a larger pinion and/or swapping the diff gears out for the vxl versions will get you moving much quicker.

RC poster
    okay so i just ordered a 15T Pinion in the hope it would be a little faster. Ill keep you guys updated

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamStampedeVXL View Post
    okay so i just ordered a 15T Pinion in the hope it would be a little faster. Ill keep you guys updated
    That will do the trick, my lads ex brushed pede runs a 17t at the moment with the velineon. The brushed pede diff ratios allow you to run higher pinions.

Maybe I just had a bad motor but running those high pinions on my sct combo 3800kv motor on nimh and 2s only, it started cogging bad after a couple of months. Hopefully you all will have better luck than me. I posted this in another thread too. https://youtu.be/Z5YtxqbOMtM Want durability and power running speed gearing??? Move to 1/8 scale motors like 2700kv and lower. Want durability with 3500kv and higher??? Stay below 15t unless it's going to be street speed runs. If bashing off road put smaller pinion in it. This has been my experience. Hate for someone else to ruin $120+ investment like I did. As always use esc and motor temps as a guide. That will tell you what to do.

Last edited by Briber; 08-17-2016 at 05:06 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by feral View Post
    That will do the trick, my lads ex brushed pede runs a 17t at the moment with the velineon. The brushed pede diff ratios allow you to run higher pinions.
    Still Thanks for the Tip

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Maybe I just had a bad motor but running those high pinions on my sct combo 3800kv motor on nimh and 2s only, it started cogging bad after a couple of months. Hopefully you all will have better luck than me. I posted this in another thread too. https://youtu.be/Z5YtxqbOMtM Want durability and power running speed gearing??? Move to 1/8 scale motors like 2700kv and lower. Want durability with 3500kv and higher??? Stay below 15t unless it's going to be street speed runs. If bashing off road put smaller pinion in it. This has been my experience. Hate for someone else to ruin $120+ investment like I did. As always use esc and motor temps as a guide. That will tell you what to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-3340-...APYM6SK5HHHZ2E
    How about cooling my ESC And Motor? Should that do the trick with bigger pinions?

A fan does help but shouldn't be used as the main thing to keep temps in check. Gearing should always be changed first.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    A fan does help but shouldn't be used as the main thing to keep temps in check. Gearing should always be changed first.

A big thanks man.