Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    I have no idea. I just found some foam that seems pretty dense and I am going to try it out lol.
    I spoke with John at BSR (very nice guy) about making some very large foams for the X-Maxx. He had some turn over as well as loosing one of his best employees to cancer recently, so he indicated he didnt have the time/capacity to help with my project right now. Completely understandable...

He indicated their 1/8 scale foams that are often used for speed runs are laminated layers of a special rubber foam. Previously they did 2 layers for the average 1/8 tire but their supplier now creates these in thinner sheets so tires now have 3 laminated doughnuts per tire. He indicated they have a giant band saw that removes the "skin" on the foam so that the adhesive works best.

I had seen someone build foams from doughnuts cut out of walmart sandals. Seems like a difficult process. I'll deffenitly follow to see how things turn out.

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    My initial thought is to make the tire out of one solid piece and have it slightly larger than the stock XO-1 tire. I need to do some more research on cutting holes that are only half an inch larger in diameter than the internal hole. I need to make an adapter to fit the XO-1 wheel hub into my drill. I am going to use that instead of paying for a tire truer.

A band saw would be nice for cutting the bulk of the foam but I will not have access to one for quite awhile.

While I am researching that I am going to experiment with some other ideas that I can use with the stock XO-1 tires. There has to be a way to prevent them from ballooning as much without taping them.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

still raining here . was 34* this morning . not much hope of trying the new foams out in near future .
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

RC Qualifier
    Talk about timing. I have been searching for hole saws to cut my foam tires out. The shiny style XO-1 wheel is 3.5" in diameter so I am thinking I want to cut two holes, the first hole 4", and the second 3 3/8". This way I will have to squeeze the foam around the wheel and the fit will be snug. If it fits like I am hoping I will move onto gluing the tire to the wheel, then moving forward with truing the foam.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

my experience with hole saws is they tear things up . maybe a variable speed drill press . the cheapo hole saws are a rip off , as they do not cut a smooth hole . good luck ...
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

RC Qualifier
    If you get a hole saw, get one for cutting metal as the teeth are much smaller and will not tear things up like one for wood. You have to be careful as said and get a quality one.

I know in some instances (not foam related) you may get better results if the saw spins backwards.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I know in some instances (not foam related) you may get better results if the saw spins backwards.
    I was about to say the exact thing. It is 100% more gentle when cutting in reverse direction. I had cut some thick plexiglass with metal hole saws and learned that lesson...

-Liberty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12