Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    I have no idea. I just found some foam that seems pretty dense and I am going to try it out lol.
    I spoke with John at BSR (very nice guy) about making some very large foams for the X-Maxx. He had some turn over as well as loosing one of his best employees to cancer recently, so he indicated he didnt have the time/capacity to help with my project right now. Completely understandable...

He indicated their 1/8 scale foams that are often used for speed runs are laminated layers of a special rubber foam. Previously they did 2 layers for the average 1/8 tire but their supplier now creates these in thinner sheets so tires now have 3 laminated doughnuts per tire. He indicated they have a giant band saw that removes the "skin" on the foam so that the adhesive works best.

I had seen someone build foams from doughnuts cut out of walmart sandals. Seems like a difficult process. I'll deffenitly follow to see how things turn out.

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    My initial thought is to make the tire out of one solid piece and have it slightly larger than the stock XO-1 tire. I need to do some more research on cutting holes that are only half an inch larger in diameter than the internal hole. I need to make an adapter to fit the XO-1 wheel hub into my drill. I am going to use that instead of paying for a tire truer.

A band saw would be nice for cutting the bulk of the foam but I will not have access to one for quite awhile.

While I am researching that I am going to experiment with some other ideas that I can use with the stock XO-1 tires. There has to be a way to prevent them from ballooning as much without taping them.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

still raining here . was 34* this morning . not much hope of trying the new foams out in near future .
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

RC Qualifier
    Talk about timing. I have been searching for hole saws to cut my foam tires out. The shiny style XO-1 wheel is 3.5" in diameter so I am thinking I want to cut two holes, the first hole 4", and the second 3 3/8". This way I will have to squeeze the foam around the wheel and the fit will be snug. If it fits like I am hoping I will move onto gluing the tire to the wheel, then moving forward with truing the foam.

my experience with hole saws is they tear things up . maybe a variable speed drill press . the cheapo hole saws are a rip off , as they do not cut a smooth hole . good luck ...

RC Qualifier
    If you get a hole saw, get one for cutting metal as the teeth are much smaller and will not tear things up like one for wood. You have to be careful as said and get a quality one.

I know in some instances (not foam related) you may get better results if the saw spins backwards.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I know in some instances (not foam related) you may get better results if the saw spins backwards.
    I was about to say the exact thing. It is 100% more gentle when cutting in reverse direction. I had cut some thick plexiglass with metal hole saws and learned that lesson...

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    So the 3 3/8" is not going to work as planned. Back to ordering tools and supplies. I am tempted to pick up one of those cheap adjustable hole saws. The problem is they do not cut deep enough unless I find some replacement blades for one.

RC Qualifier
    Ordered more tools, but they shipped the wrong parts. If it were not for the holidays I probably would have had the parts this week, but they will not arrive until next week.

RC Qualifier
    Another failed order. I need to take some new measurements. Looks like I am going to have to wait awhile to get back to making tires. I will focus on teaching myself to solder for now.

the key is a hot iron & steady hand . flows like brass

RC Qualifier
    Finally made some progress on the XO-1, but I keep finding a bunch of small things that I need to repair. The front end is finally fully repaired. I bent the stock aluminum pieces in that last wreck video I posted and a broke a few plastic parts. I will end up running the stock wheels and tires again because I have not had time to make my own foam tires.

im still finding things I broke before . must be the speed or maybe the sudden stops !

RC Qualifier
    My XO-1 is about six screws from being back together. My next post in this thread will either be a 120 mph pass or a wreck

good luck . hope to see the 120 .. steve

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    My XO-1 is about six screws from being back together. My next post in this thread will either be a 120 mph pass or a wreck
    Be sure to shoot some video! Either outcome will be great to watch, although I hope it does not wreck.

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    Finally took it out today. I saved it from a bad wreck in the works. For some reason it is pulling extremely hard to the right. It did the same thing the last time I wrecked so there is something still broken. I need to check my axles and carriers.

no wreck

im glad you did not wreck it . im still trying to get correct bearings for mine . good luck !

im thinkin I may have found the correct bearings for the car .

RC Qualifier
    Nice! That reminds me, I need to see if mine need to be replaced.

. rain / rain / & more rain . just depressing at all the days I have lost .SOSDD

RC Qualifier
    Rain is better than snow. At least you do not have the salt/dirt trucks messing up your roads right now.

I got the bearings yesterday , fit like a glove . finally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I had a chance to test the bearings and it looks like I need to replace at least four of them. I will post a video of how much the rear left tire wobbles and stops quickly when I try to spin it freely. The rear right tire does not wobble, and it spins easier. The front right tire spins the easiest. The front left tire spins the second best. I am not sure if this is what is causing my car to pull hard to the right but I will replace the bearings and see. I will probably take the servo apart and see if there is any damage in there as well.

all the bearings are probably needing changing . I have wobble because I cant get the 1/5 adapters to hold to the mip axles . may have spent time & money on something I cant make work . when I took mine apart I found several bearings that had give up or came apart . nothing to do with the 1/5 wheels . not sure how to fix the wobble , but still trying .. good luck on yours steve

LOL found out why front wheels would not stay tight . had all rear axles , fronts are different . learning every day

RC Qualifier
    The cool part is that is all it was. I know it must have been frustrating to get to that point but you should be up and running soon.

My new bearings should be here this week. I will not have time to install them, but I'll be taking my other trucks out this weekend.

yep , got them yesterday , will put them in today .

RC Qualifier
    The bearings may not be the cause of the the car pulling right, but they sure do need to be replaced:

RC poster
    I saw you talking tires before, but have you tried the 1/5 grp tires? I have them on my 1/8 speed buggy and they have great traction, and I have run them up to 100 with no problems at all.

was the bearing causing the right rear axle to wobble , or ?? hope it wasn't hurt bad

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted404 View Post
    I saw you talking tires before, but have you tried the 1/5 grp tires? I have them on my 1/8 speed buggy and they have great traction, and I have run them up to 100 with no problems at all.
    I have not. I will keep running my stock tires and then some foams. I have not seen anyone on 1/5 scale tires running faster than I have.

Quote Originally Posted by kzsteve View Post
    was the bearing causing the right rear axle to wobble , or ?? hope it wasn't hurt bad
    I am not sure yet, I still have not repaired the car yet. It will be awhile. I just broke my X-Maxx and E-Revo 2.0 this past weekend so I will be down for awhile. I probably will not touch the cars for a month.

I have them on my xo-1 . haven't ran it yet due to weather . going to try soon . have new foams to try later .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12