Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Best batteries for Xmaxx

Hi there
    Just wanted some advice for the best batteries that I can buy for the Xmaxx.
    I have 4 traxxas batteries 5000 and one just puff i think (didn.t charge and was swollen) and i send it back to the store!
    the thing is can I charge other brand of batteries with the traxxas charger EZ Peak?
    Is it safe? I donīt want no fires in my house!
    And what shall i do if i donīt run the xmaxx for 5 days?
    I know that i have to take out the batteries from the truck but shall i charge them and keep them on the safe bag or shall i discharge them running the truck and just keep them on the bag?
    thank you

Ps:I live in UK

RC Qualifier
    Well personally I love spc Lipos but they no longer ship internationally. Next best choice is smc. They do ship international and are still great lipos for the price. To start I'd get 2 6500mah 2s lipos. I've had one and I still use it to this day (its a year old). As for charging on your EZ peak charger, you can charge other brand lipos on it with the balance plug up front. To get to the balance plug, there is a traxxas logo on the front of the charger that should stick out, simply remove this and you should see 2 white plugs. Those are balance plugs, you must plug a non traxxas lipo with a white balance plug into them to properly balance charge it. And no they will not catch on fire. For storing a lipo when not in use (for 3 or more days), it is recommended you put it in storage mode. This bring the battery voltage to about half and there should be a button that switches through store, charge, and balance mode. Hoping that you always balance charge your lipos, just switch it to store and that will put the batteries in storage mode.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by invento123; 08-19-2016 at 08:48 AM.
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

RC Competitor
    Spc or smc batteries are very good. I run 8s and have 2 4s batteries from kershaw. These batteries are great. I bought them from Dan in December and have had zero issues. No puffing. The cell count is steady. I have run my Xmaxx at least 3/4 times a week for 8 months on the same two kershaw batteries. This is my experience, I'm not sure if anyone else has had any bad things to say about dans batteries.

I also have had luck with a really cheap brand lion power lipo. Have had for over 2 years with no problems. These are 6s though.

For my 1/10 sct410.3, b44.3, 1/8 rc8b3e, rc8te and sc8e I use spc and smc.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marley510 View Post
    Spc or smc batteries are very good. I run 8s and have 2 4s batteries from kershaw. These batteries are great. I bought them from Dan in December and have had zero issues. No puffing. The cell count is steady. I have run my Xmaxx at least 3/4 times a week for 8 months on the same two kershaw batteries. This is my experience, I'm not sure if anyone else has had any bad things to say about dans batteries.

I also have had luck with a really cheap brand lion power lipo. Have had for over 2 years with no problems. These are 6s though.

For my 1/10 sct410.3, b44.3, 1/8 rc8b3e, rc8te and sc8e I use spc and smc.
    I've been meaning to hear reviews on Kershaw batts?!!? You love em since December?! Wow. Good to hear!!!! I feel 8000 / 45C must be a great combo for power and run time?

RC Competitor
    Hi again and thank you for the responses!
    How about these ones : http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=248
    Is this what I can use with my truck and EZ charger?
    What time you guys think that I can run my truck with these ones? 40 minutes?
    And one more thing,
    what does it means 2s, 3s, 4s etc?
    I,ve got these ones: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...ah-111v-3S-25C
    thank you

Vant 6600mah 75 to 100c, and can be had for 43 bucks a pop. With these, I get between 30 to 45 minute run times.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer
    I'm running 8200 spc's with great results

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallett240 View Post
    I've been meaning to hear reviews on Kershaw batts?!!? You love em since December?! Wow. Good to hear!!!! I feel 8000 / 45C must be a great combo for power and run time?
    100% great combo.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosseica View Post
    Hi again and thank you for the responses!
    How about these ones : http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=248
    Is this what I can use with my truck and EZ charger?
    What time you guys think that I can run my truck with these ones? 40 minutes?
    And one more thing,
    what does it means 2s, 3s, 4s etc?

I,ve got these ones: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...ah-111v-3S-25C
    thank you
    2s 3s 4s is the cell count in the battery. The stock esc can handle up to 6s. So you can 2 2s to get a total of 4s or two 2s for a total of 4s.

4s is slower but, less possible damage to driveline and other things.

6s is faster with the possibility of more driveline damage and other things.

RC Competitor
    I meant two 3s for a total of 6s

RC Competitor
    I use vant 9000mah 60c 120c burst, great battery easily 45 to an hour runtime, no puffing no heating

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by carlosseica View Post
    Hi there
    Just wanted some advice for the best batteries that I can buy for the Xmaxx.
    I have 4 traxxas batteries 5000 and one just puff i think (didn.t charge and was swollen) and i send it back to the store!
    the thing is can I charge other brand of batteries with the traxxas charger EZ Peak?
    Is it safe? I donīt want no fires in my house!
    And what shall i do if i donīt run the xmaxx for 5 days?
    I know that i have to take out the batteries from the truck but shall i charge them and keep them on the safe bag or shall i discharge them running the truck and just keep them on the bag?
    thank you

Ps:I live in UK
    Running this truck with the Traxxas 3s 5000 mah id batteries is a mistake, who I happen to fall for also :-/
    Using these now http://stockholm.reservdelsrc.com/pr...25c-trx-x-maxx
    And charging them with 2 Ez Peak dual chargers on fast mode.

Alot better, no puffing, no extreme heat. Buy the best batteries you can find unless they are way overpriced compared to the 2nd best.

RC poster
    I run two 3s 8000 Kershaw batteries. Been bashing for a couple of months and I've had good luck so far. I get around an hour out of each charge but I can't run it full power for very long around the house. It gets pretty squirley in the dust and gravel.
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

What I don't like about running 180 dollar batteries is (of course) 180 dollars for a battery, but more importantly is if I blow a 43 dollar battery it's not as hard for me to replace as a 180 dollar battery. Yes, my run times aren't quite as long. Yes, I have to change my batteries a little bit more often, but who cares.

I'll change my batteries 6 times in 4.5 hours at a price tag of $516.00 rather than 4 times in 4 hours at a price tag of $1440.00. Oh my, changing my batteries 2 more times every 4 hours, and saving 924 dollars is going to kill me. (lol)
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    Running this truck with the Traxxas 3s 5000 mah id batteries is a mistake, who I happen to fall for also :-/
    Using these now http://stockholm.reservdelsrc.com/pr...25c-trx-x-maxx
    And charging them with 2 Ez Peak dual chargers on fast mode.

Alot better, no puffing, no extreme heat. Buy the best batteries you can find unless they are way overpriced compared to the 2nd best.
    That's a 25C battery just like the Traxxas 5000 mAh batties that are puffing on everyone. Only thing different with this one is the mAh is doubled.

RC Competitor
    I have 2 sets of the Traxxas 3s 5000 batteries. Have not had one issue with them I also believe Traxxas rates them conservatively. I typically get about 20-25 min of run time on each set.

RC Racer
    You will have issues with the 5000s, I'm on my 3 set and its pathetic, gonna try the MaxAmps 9000xl, something with more C rating. Sick of buying trash batts.

RC poster
    I have 2 sets, one set SPC 7200/70C (already had for my XO-1) and a set of SMC 9000/60C I just bought. Both very affordable batteries with good reputation. I wouldn't spend the money on the MaxAmps, think they are over rated and could buy 2 sets of equal spec batteries for the money.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    That's a 25C battery just like the Traxxas 5000 mAh batties that are puffing on everyone. Only thing different with this one is the mAh is doubled.
    25C on 8000mah means 200 amps sustained current. 25C on 5000mah is only 125amps. That is why the 5000mah batteries puff. They are under max or close to it loads all the time. The higher capacity of the 8000mah packs means the C rating is more effective. Higher C rating is going to always be better of course, but it isn't always required if 25C 8000mah can handle more than enough current as it is.

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas brand batteries are probably the safest and are also very easy as there isn't a separate balance plug. I use 3s 5000 mah 25c Traxxas ID lipos, and they're great. My XMaxx tops out at about 50mph and I can get about 40min out of the 5000mah.
    XMaxx. Rustler. No one starts at the top.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden353 View Post
    Traxxas brand batteries are probably the safest and are also very easy as there isn't a separate balance plug. I use 3s 5000 mah 25c Traxxas ID lipos, and they're great. My XMaxx tops out at about 50mph and I can get about 40min out of the 5000mah.
    I love the Traxxas batteries, they seem to be overall GREAT! How did you get 50mph?!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's one thing to talk about competitor's products on the Traxxas forum, but it just doesn't seem right for a person to bag on a similar Traxxas product in the same thread.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    It's one thing to talk about competitor's products on the Traxxas forum, but it just doesn't seem right for a person to bag on a similar Traxxas product in the same thread.
    Ya but it doesn't matter what forum we're in...we are all looking for advice etc. I've been a Traxxas fan for 21 years and love em...but I will give my advice and opinion even if it's not pro-Traxxas. I LOVE THEM! But sometimes other brands offer better parts.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
    No idea why Traxxas refuses to offer batteries with higher C ratings. Blows my mind.
    C ratings are garbage. I've seen 100C batteries-you really think these batteries can push 500 amps? Let me tell you something- they have little foil tabs 1/64 of an inch thick on the cells- how many amps you think you're going to get out of them? -or- how hot are the wires going to get and then the solder melts.

Brand and C rating are only an indication of quality of cell. Most cells available on the market will only supply 130-150 amps, and then the cells usually have damage.

If traxxas only advertises 25c, but I can put them in m Maxx and not feel them sag, and get 300 cycles, I'll buy them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The C-rating as defined does not apply to the pack, but rather it applies to the cells the pack is built from.

But regardless, my statement above regarding negative comments about Traxxas products still stands.

RC poster
    I love my X-Maxx but it keep destroying my LiPo. I've just bought 8400 3s 25c Traxxas id batt ,have about 5 run,then it start puffing.I feel a little soft at top and bottom of battery when finish my run and the batt is a bit warm. but after the batt cool down the puffing seem a bit fade away. What is wrong with my Battery guys?

RC Qualifier
    I have junked celled a spc 8200mah lipo with max6 ,punch 5 also. If you drive it like you stole it,there isn't a battery out there the xmaxx can't eat. So that means go gas or nitro an buy motors instead.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNoPo View Post
    I love my X-Maxx but it keep destroying my LiPo. I've just bought 8400 3s 25c Traxxas id batt ,have about 5 run,then it start puffing.I feel a little soft at top and bottom of battery when finish my run and the batt is a bit warm. but after the batt cool down the puffing seem a bit fade away. What is wrong with my Battery guys?
    It's normal for the 8400's to puff slightly according to Traxxas. Both of mine turned into balloons after a single extended full throttle run though. I think the cells are just poorly designed since Traxxas believes the battery capable of operating the X-Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by suburbazine View Post
    It's normal for the 8400's to puff slightly according to Traxxas. Both of mine turned into balloons after a single extended full throttle run though. I think the cells are just poorly designed since Traxxas believes the battery capable of operating the X-Maxx.
    Stock X-Maxx or modified?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-21-2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: three X, one A

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    Stock X-Maxx or modified?
    Stock X-Maxx, stock gearing. This is on the latest VXL firmware and fusible link.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-21-2016 at 04:30 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    What's the biggest battery that actually fits into the battery slots without modifications?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
    What's the biggest battery that actually fits into the battery slots without modifications?
    Kershaw Designs 4S 8000mah. Absolute biggest pack you can fit.

Now if you're talking biggest battery with zero modifications to the truck overall, you're stuck using Traxxas batteries.

RC poster
    The battery tray size is 197mm x 51.5mm x 44mm. I use SMC 9000 MAH batteries.

RC Racer
    Do you mean physical bigger or higher capacity. The Vant 6600 are higher capacity and fatter but shorter and still fit with no modifications other than tossing in a block of foam to take up the empty space.

RC Racer
    I'm a SPC fan. Never had a problem with them.
    Went to buy a lipo, walked out with a XMAXX.

RC Racer
    For 3S I find that Maxamps give the best punch, I use the 6500 mAh. Though for run times I'm still getting over a hour on Traxxas 8400's.

For 4S Maxamp 5450 mAh are very good but numbers wise the Graphine 5.0 4S are holding 1mOhm in each cell over countless number of charges though I've read people having bad experiences with them swelling, I have not. The Graphine also never get hot and remarkably charge up to 4.20v in each cell after each round of abuse.

RC Enthusiast
    is it better to have a lower C rating or higher C rating on batteries?

is it better to have a lower C rating or higher C rating on batteries?
    Would you rather have a 30hp VW Beetle engine or a 420hp Ford Coyote engine pushing your truck around?
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Would you rather have a 30hp VW Beetle engine or a 420hp Ford Coyote engine pushing your truck around?
    haha...ok wasn't sure. It was confusing when i read something about it initially. I'll take that as higher is better

RC poster
    I run venom 10500 50c and vant 9000 60-120c and hobbystar 8600 100c. The venoms are way over priced. The vants are a great battery and the price is right while the hobbystars are cheaper yet but don't run like the other two. I guess it more comes down to your financial situation. If your looking for a good cheap battery I'd go with the hobbystar or the vant. Thats just my opinion based on my own experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast