RC Racer

What kind of compliments/questions are you getting with your M41?

Every time I run my M41, I get compliment after compliment, plus many questions. The one I get the most is how much did it cost. I really hate answering that question because I don't feel like telling complete strangers how much money is sitting in front of me, and them!

Even just today running at the park, the city workers had to stop and tell my they had fun watching it go thru the pond. Even yesterday at another pond by our zoo, a guy sitting in his truck rolled his window down to say thanks for bringing it out. It was fun to watch it go around. When kids see it in the water, they go insane. They just run to you and say that is cool and it's fast, etc. I'm just like scram kid! Well, not that mean, but I have so much fun running it around and seems everyone always has fun watching it because it's not like a lot of people have them. I don't ever recall seeing anyone with a big RC boat until I started seeing videos of this boat which drove me nuts and made me want to have one. So it's kind of a treat for people to see one. Money well spent.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas needs to release a FAQ and answer t-shirt for every model type. So when you're out driving and the noobs start attacking with the same old questions. You can just say "See #1" and point to the back of your t-shirt.

1. How fast
    2. How much(this answer usually ends the conversation)
    3. How high
    4. How far
    5. How long
    and Oh nice your brother/uncle/father owns one just like this one, where's he at and couldn't he answer these questions?

I low ball the speed question so they end up fighting with you about how much faster it is instead of how much slower it is compared to your estimate.

Then they go to Walmart and by a TYCO with double A's anyways after sucking up all your fun time. Anymore when I see one coming, I drive it back to me, grab it, turn around and leave before they get there. I don't make a dime from it and time is money. Sorry not sorry. I didn't have to accost some enthusiast to get into the hobby.
    Last edited by Multirotor; 08-22-2016 at 05:25 PM.
    Scoring points!

I always try my utmost to be the highest quality AMBASSADOR for the hobby that I can be. Helping others to see the positives in this activity of ours fosters good will, encourages the next generation and helps ensure certain nutty agendas don't get pushed too far.
    Shortsighted and selfish will only get you shutout of where you want to go and what you want to do.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I get the " what does it cost" all the time too ... all I know is this is the least expensive hobby I've done in a long time ! After a life of race cars , moto x / Baja race bikes , high end mountain bikes , Snowmobiles .. and this is just as fun for me too !

RC Racer
    Good point! You can have a hobby of full size toys that go into the thousands. And as ksb51rl points out, I don't mean that I shun people, or am mean to them. I see what you mean about not being annoyed but rather talk to others to peak their interest in it. I know I have done that with proof! My sisters friend, her 2 boys have gone crazy over my Slash I have and now she is planning on getting them one for Xmas. But now we're going to get them one each for them. My family buys gifts for her kids, they're all close family friends so we plan on pooling money to get them each one. So I am spreading the RC love around! I got them hooked and they can't get away from it now. They're in their teens so they're going to flip when they get them.

But as Multirotor says, it can get annoying at times. Answering tons of questions. Just take it in stride.

I guess I knew going in that you're going to get accosted by people, kids and adults about your awesomely fast RC truck or boat, so I shouldn't complain too much. Unless I want to buy myself and massive pond and a few acres of land to build a crazy area to bash my Slash around, I'll have to be around people when I run my RC's. Maybe that's the thing to get me to buy a sweet pad outside of town. I need a home and tons of land for my hobby! Just need 400,000 dollars to buy a big house and acres of land now...

I'm not saying that anything goes when driving or piloting either. When I am flying fixed-wing, it takes ALL my attention. Any comments or questions must wait until the warbirds touch Earth. And then there was the time that the little kid asked to drive one of my trucks - IDK if it was my ERBE or FLM Stampede or Slash 4x4, and when I answered in the negative, he grabbed the Tx and tried to snatch it from my hands. I had the foresight to turn the transmitter off before he grabbed it (not usually a good practice) because I thought something like that might happen, so no harm befell anybody. HOWEVER, I did wonder what his parents' deal was since they undoubtedly saw this happen but took no disciplinary action. There have been other incidents with people and pets, but no need to belabor the point.
    Related to the above: one of our rules is that anyone who does not have and has never had a hobby-grade RC may not operate our vehicles. It's a standing rule that just makes things a bit more definite regarding how much we let others encroach into our (very) limited fun time. The "no" is cordial, even kind, but still is firm unless a gold card is offered as collateral.
    Finally (for now), even though many of us don't need the validation to have a good time, isn't it pleasant to know that others think our hobby is worth watching, and perhaps even doing?

Edit:
    Apologies on this becoming more of a referendum on the hobby than on the boat.
    I would have thought the first (or second) question about it would have been, "Did you paint that yourself?" Does that question even make top ten?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-23-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Yeah I'm a super killer artist man! I rock paint jobs! LOL.

RC Racer
    How much?

Is it gas? (get this one a ton, then I fire up my nitro and they quickly realize the m41 is quiet

How fast

Where do you get it

Is there racing for them

RC Racer
    We should make a FAQ sheet and print some out so when people come up and ask, you can hand them one.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FortMark View Post
    We should make a FAQ sheet and print some out so when people come up and ask, you can hand them one.
    haha I saw a guy flying a drone, he had a tshirt on and on the back was printed "Please don't bother me this thing requires concentration."

not that anyone paid attention....

RC Racer
    Ha, well, print the FAQ on the back of a shirt.

I did get the what happens of it dies out in the middle of the water today. Should've said I do my Harry Potter spell, Wingardium Leviosa and it flies out the water. Of course right when I get to the park and put the M41 in the water, I take off and get to full speed and something isn't right. I get it out of the water and the prop is broke. Ugh, I just put the boat in the water too. My hobby shop online says they have more props, so I'm buying a bunch, but I think I need a good metal prop, so I don't have to worry about crunching these nylon ones.
    Last edited by FortMark; 08-25-2016 at 03:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Wingardium Leviosa

This is a fun one with a ground vehicle.....
    Go to a public park with peeps and get your r/c ready to go. Place it on the ground close to your 1:1 car so you're not seen carrying it around. (roll it under your vehicle) Keeping your transmitter out of sight, sit on a blanket somewhere with a good point of view and try to blend in. With your TX still hidden drive your car from the parking lot (or somewhere out of view) over closer to the area you choose to sit. Then all you have to do is act like you're watching it instead of driving it and avoid flipping it or getting it stuck. The peeps won't know who to bother with questions.
    Scoring points!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Or just drive normally and be an ambassador for the hobby and answer their questions.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FortMark View Post
    Ha, well, print the FAQ on the back of a shirt.

I did get the what happens of it dies out in the middle of the water today. Should've said I do my Harry Potter spell, Wingardium Leviosa and it flies out the water. Of course right when I get to the park and put the M41 in the water, I take off and get to full speed and something isn't right. I get it out of the water and the prop is broke. Ugh, I just put the boat in the water too. My hobby shop online says they have more props, so I'm buying a bunch, but I think I need a good metal prop, so I don't have to worry about crunching these nylon ones.
    I did the same thing...but a metal prop is expensive, anything that would cause the plastic to crack would just dull a metal blade and they need maintenance.

For the price of one metal (especially for us in Canada) I can get 5 or 6 plastic, then I reorder when down to the last two....

RC Qualifier
    I am thinking of getting an M-41 NOW but my wife keeps saying Wait until next Spring every time I see videos of it I want to pull the trigger & call up my Hobby Shop & order me 1... But my Wife keeps reminding me I got a X-MAXX & XO-1 & a Stampede 4x4 VXL all this year... So when she says WAIT until next Spring I am thinking she's going to buy an M-41 for my Birthday witch is next April.

Already have the TRAXXAS Blast

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grave75 View Post
    I am thinking of getting an M-41 NOW but my wife keeps saying Wait until next Spring every time I see videos of it I want to pull the trigger & call up my Hobby Shop & order me 1... But my Wife keeps reminding me I got a X-MAXX & XO-1 & a Stampede 4x4 VXL all this year... So when she says WAIT until next Spring I am thinking she's going to buy an M-41 for my Birthday witch is next April.

Already have the TRAXXAS Blast
    nice! in the meantime you can build a trailer for your X-Maxx to haul he m41

RC Racer
    Just go get the 41, ask forgiveness when she sees it, told my wife it was on sale so she could relate to the idea. Oh, OK. lol

RC Enthusiast
    I was running mine at a local lake Saturday. I could hear this family hootin' and hollerin' every time I made a high speed pass by them. Finally the wife comes up and asks how much and where did I get it. I actually ordered it online but I told her I got it at the LHS for $600. (I got the charger/battery combo) She acted like she was interested but I think she had sticker shock lol. If I was quicker on my feet I would have told her "but you can have this one right now for $500" haha. I have it for sale locally already.

RC Racer
    Yeah, I told a group of kids how much it cost, then a lady hit me with a ton of questions like an interrogation, also about cost. They get that big eye look. it cost that much!?
    Last edited by Double G; 09-13-2016 at 06:59 AM. Reason: language

RC Enthusiast

What kind of compliments/questions are you getting with your M41?

This RC speed boat looks sweet and bad. Wow how fast will it go. I love sharing the sport. Theres alot
    Of RCers wanting this boat.
    Please watch the *s in your posts.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-01-2017 at 10:44 AM.