Thread: No Diff grease

RC Racer

No Diff grease

Has anyone noticed that the front and rear diff had no grease on them?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes diffs was almost dry out off box.I add them some bearing grease.
    Slash 2wd,stampede 2wd,latrax sst

RC Racer
    I find the benefits to greasing the spider gears minimal compared to running them dry, perhaps there's less wear over time that will require shimming much later than normal but shimming will be necessary eventually. What I do is apply a thin yet sufficient coat of grease to all bearing journals to nearly eliminate dirt and dust contamination entirely. After a rebuild I can run as long as I want in the sand as long as all journals and seals are greased. Running locked rear open front.

RC Qualifier
    I add jb weld
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

i figured that out when sand and water told me

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by broitsseth View Post
    i figured that out when sand and water told me
    Dude, you talk to sand and water? Woooa!

It handles so much better with open in both front and back! I can't spin it out on the rode with loose in both front and rear, and when I ran locked in rear and loose in front it spun out all the time.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

RC Competitor
    All 3 of my kids rigs and my personal overkill prerunner build were dryer than a popcorn fart. Added wheel bearing grease to all the rigs and a ball diff in the front of my truck.
    Well traxxas has to make some money with parts sales so they do it with motors that don't last long, dry gears, fragile servos.

RC Competitor
    Yeah only time lockers are really nice is for crawling and drag racing. They put a lot of stress on parts too. I like my gear diff in rear and ball diff in front. Corners nice and acceleration out of the corner is awesome

My ball diffs just never made me very happy, I could never get the rear to not slip, and be pretty much locked at the same time, and therefore the car would just either have no tork at all and take forever to get up to speed, well, that's an over exaggeration, but it would definitely lose in a race, or it would spin out real easily. That's when I have ball diffs in both front and back, when I had a solid spool in the back, it just spun out really easily. I ended up buying Traxxas' new-ish all metal differentials, and when you put brass sleeves on, and put some differential lube on, they are really strong and reliable. I've ran mine as hard as I could, and I have had no problems at all.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.