RC poster

Can I ask about dogs

SO I ran through my first dog bomb tonight. Not looking forward to the clean down at all. I guess you seasoned pros have been there done that.

I have been a little concerned about what might happen when a dog comes running over and decides my slash must be destroyed. Has this happened to you?

What's the best strategy in dealing with a dog owner who thinks it's funny that his or her dog just attacked your very costly RC .
    I ask because I find my self always looking around to make sure theirs no dog coming.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When a dog becomes aggressive towards my RC vehicle, I quickly drive the RC vehicle back to me and "claim" the vehicle. This means making it very clear to the dog the vehicle is off limits. A wide opened hand along with a firm "NO" or "STOP" usually stops the dog outright. If not I keep repeating while keeping my body between the dog and vehicle until the dog's owner intervenes.

My wife and I own two Jack Russell Terriers and while they are relatively small dogs, they are EXTREMELY aggressive towards anything anywhere near their size or smaller, that moves and/or makes noise. They will run down my Traxxas VXL vehicles when operating on mowed grass with a 2S LiPo and when they do catch it, the RC vehicle always loses the battle. Holes are punched through the tires and body, wheels are ripped from the arms and parts generally go flying. A larger aggressive dog could pretty much destroy a vehicle in seconds if not stopped.
    Last edited by Jakey; 08-23-2016 at 09:03 PM.

I have a bernadoodle, which is a mix of poodle and Bernese mountain dog. But she is deathly afraid of my RC's. So I just don't drive them near her. But another dog grabbed my tire and I yelled NO and he dropped it. Just don't drive it around dogs, as you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

Dogs and RCs simply don't mix, especially aggressive dogs. I know it sucks, but likely the best solution is to find a different place to run. The second best option is to talk to the dog's owner and let him know that you will do everything to avoid it, but if the truck is running at full speed when the do attacks the dog could get hurt.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Someone else's dog is a bit harder to deal with. My Pit/Boxer mix loves to chase my Slash to the point I have to take her in the house so she doesn't have a stroke because she refuses to stop. At first she would grab a fender or blast right over it and cave in the body. After a few "discussions" about the fact that the truck is not her chew toy we now have a great time. I get to bash with a race buddy and she gets a ton of exercise. If you know your neighbor well and he is ok with it I would say train the dog to chase but NOT grab. Most dogs can be trained to do anything. And trust me. It is hilarious to race a dog, do a snap turn and then watch them barrel roll trying to make the same turn. Just be willing to live with a few bite marks on an old body until you get them properly trained to not grab at it.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 08-24-2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Language

Quote Originally Posted by Doug0712 View Post
    Someone else's dog is a bit harder to deal with. My Pit/Boxer mix loves to chase my Slash to the point I have to take her in the house so she doesn't have a stars stroke because she refuses to stop. At first she would grab a fender or blast right over it and cave in the body. After a few "discussions" about the fact that the truck is not her chew toy we now have a great time. I get to bash with a race buddy and she gets a ton of exercise. If you know your neighbor well and he is ok with it I would say train the dog to chase but NOT grab. Most dogs can be trained to do anything. And trust me. It is hilarious to race a dog, do a snap turn and then watch them barrel roll trying to make the same turn. Just be willing to live with a few bite marks on an old body until you get them properly trained to not grab at it.
    hey doug, I know I'm not a mod but you should probably edit out those stars asap, lol

But anyway, yeah a dog could rip your rc to shreds... I would steer clear unless it's your dog.
    Aww, SNAP. You crashed into the curb at 100mph.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    just drive the car into the dog. I bet they wont chase it anymore

my cars can outrun any dog so.....

Lol, my neighbors dogs are afraid of my R/C, but there is one dog that loves chasing it. If i'm on 3S i just out run them, but if I am only on 2S, I agree with Jakey, drive the car over and keep it our of reach of the dogs.
    "Gone racing"

Quote Originally Posted by ljl23 View Post
    I have a bernadoodle, which is a mix of poodle and Bernese mountain dog.

OK..pics of this dog are mandatory! I love the mountain dog and a poodle is a great dog to mix with. I have a golden doodle(golden retriever/poodle) She LOVES chasing my trucks but she can't catch them unless I crash. Then she lays down and barks at them...lol. Still trying to get her to flip them over for me. Little snow bashing on the pond down the street last winter...she REALLY liked that!!

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

This is the only good one I found on my phone, I'll find another later

Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

RC Enthusiast
    I have a purebred dachshund and he is afraid of my E-Maxx and here is a pic of him and he can be a handful at times

RC Qualifier
    My dog loves to chase my cars but can't catch any off them. All of them can go 50+ mph. On a more serious note do you have a leash law or is the area you are at not allow dogs? You may be able to call the cops if your RC got damaged. At the same time you should make sure you are allowed to drive your RCs in that area too. If you don't want to go through all that it's time to upgrade and make your RCs faster.

RC Qualifier
    Lol. Only on the traxxas rc forums, do people start posting pics of their dogs and talk about them.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkdrgn808 View Post
    My dog loves to chase my cars but can't catch any off them. All of them can go 50+ mph. On a more serious note do you have a leash law or is the area you are at not allow dogs? You may be able to call the cops if your RC got damaged. At the same time you should make sure you are allowed to drive your RCs in that area too. If you don't want to go through all that it's time to upgrade and make your RCs faster.
    Now that's a I interesting comment about being allowed to run the truck in the public places .because my thought was to charge any dog owner who attacks the car with considerable damage.

I know all areas I go to have leash rules BUT can I use the RC ? Going to look into that.

RC Enthusiast
    Here is a pic of my RC chaser.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can I ask about dogs

The tire eater in the household

smooth is fast

I have two experiences with my neighbor's dog's. One is a German Shepard Finley, that is scared of it. He won't go near it and will bark all day at it.
    The other is a little Gizmo dog named Hudson, now Hudson just think's it is another dog and will run besides it and loves it. He will chase it around and if I stop he will go up to it and nudge it with his nose to make it go. It is the best by far fun I had with him.

If any other dog's come around I stop my truck and let them have the right of way unless the owner bring's their dog over to it. So far everyone has been cool with me driving it at my apt's.
    Slash 4x4 Tekin RX8GenII w/Pro4 4300hd

Quote Originally Posted by ljl23 View Post
    This is the only good one I found on my phone, I'll find another later

Cool doggy!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    I have a greyhound pointer mix. with a 3s it still cannot outrun her. luckily when she catches it she just pins it down until i come to retrieve it.

...should see his other comments and his thread. [/QUOTE]

Wow, just did some extra reading. :\
    "Gone racing"

Just removed some inappropriate comments.... Keep it clean please.

Personally my dog LOVES chasing my Stampede 4x4 VXL. She knows a battery + transmitter = fun while a battery + charger = sit and wait.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    Just removed some inappropriate comments.... Keep it clean please.

Personally my dog LOVES chasing my Stampede 4x4 VXL. She knows a battery + transmitter = fun while a battery + charger = sit and wait.
    LOL. My doodle does the same thing. I took over a bedroom for my RCs. If I go up and plug a pack in the charger she crawls on the bed and waits. If I go up and plug a pack in one of the trucks and grab the TX...it's game on!! Dogs are a LOT smarter than we sometimes give them credit for!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    I have to let Katrina out before I even grab a battery or she will go nuts. If she peaks in the bay window and catches me plugging in she starts tearing around the yard. I have to put my Slash on the floor, throw open the door, nail it and jump off the front deck to have a chance to get around her since she is just waiting to chase. Yes dogs are smart. My old border collie that passed away would sit in front of the driver's door on my truck if she heard anyone say "going up north". We weren't leaving without her.

YAY !!! doggie pics...

not an rc chaser... i think my truck might even out weigh him.

Surprisingly, my dog (Toffie) does not seem to care if I run my rig around her.
    I think she's kind of scared of it!

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    I usually pay no attention to dogs and keep playing, but if it starts going after my stuff, i will head directly towards the dog while blipping the throttle in an aggressive way. Between the sound, the smoke the dogs generally back off.

The smoke?!

Edit:
    Nevermind. You're a T-Maxx nitro guy... we're electric!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-09-2016 at 10:55 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Yah man, I have a couple of electrics. Has anyone ever used the third channel for a horn, maybe buzzer at least.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.