Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32

    Aluminum suspension upgrades better?

    Guys,

    Does it do any good to upgrade to aluminum suspension parts? (besides the fact blue color looks cool)
    I see some upper and lower control arms. Apologies for the newb question.

    http://www.asiatees.com/model?Traxxa...as&model=XMAXX

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    90
    Aluminum is harder to bend, but once it does, it's bent.

    Plastic has flex. And you don't have to worry about the pretty blue anodizing getting shredded.

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    But will the plastic on X-maxx break before the aluminum bends? Ive seen some pretty high jumps

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
    In my experience, people buy aluminum parts more for the bling factor than the durability. Your truck is only as strong as it's weakest component. If your whole truck is aluminum, then great. But if you attach an aluminum A-arm to a plastic mount, now all you've done is change the part that's going to break next time you hit something.

    I don't know about you, but I'd much rather replace A-arms here and there than bulkheads and chassis every time I wipe out.
    I gotcha... I'll just leave as is.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,028
    Like ANY rc...aluminum can be sufficient when used in the right way and not just for bling factor. The upper A-arms are known to break so I don't see why not have just the upper arm aluminum. The carriers on this truck are BEEFY so I don't see a reason to change those.

    Just so you know...RPM makes aftermarket plastic arms for the x-maxx so if you're in the market for new arms those will be a good alternative.
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 08-25-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    We are all one race. The human race.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St. Helens, U.K.
    Posts
    631
    I use alloy for bling / show, but am often selective.
    I don't plan on using my 'X' the way many do, with big air, big crashes (not wished for, but inevitable), but if I did, I would probably have left the arms - it has been mentioned the upper arms are on the fragile side.

    Is the RPM alternative worthy of the price tag - 3 - 4x stock or is it easier to have a few stock spares in - that's the question?

    I definitely think it's a good idea to use alloy diff cups, and covers as well, in view of the high power / torque motors being used - most end up changing the ESC and many change the motor as well. If the throttle is opened wide, I could imagine the plastic cups flexing permitting gears to 'skip a beat'.

    Al.
    Last edited by atom3624; 08-26-2016 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Grammar

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    19
    have the TRAXXAS X-MAXX 7076 GPM SILVER ALUMINUM ARM SET and TRAXXAS X-MAXX 7076 GPM BLUE ALUMINUM FRONT KNUCKLE ARMS and TRAXXAS X-MAXX 7076 GPM BLUE ALUMINUM REAR KNUCKLE ARMS and Aluminum Front C Hubs
    the problem i am having is that there is no down word travle the c hubs are hitting the lower arms it turns.GPM IS ON MY DO NOT BUY LIST wast of money and there is no support From GPM

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    26
    are the rpm parts worth the extra cost? they look to be about double.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St. Helens, U.K.
    Posts
    631
    They're normally / expected to be tougher than standard plastic parts, but are they - that's the question?
    Personally from what I've seen, the standard arms seem to take quite a lot of stick, so if I was going to bash hard, I'd stay stock.
    I've blinged mine, but I want it looking good and don't expect to be leaping 20 feet into the air anytime soon!

    Al.

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    26
    I was referring to the rpm plastic ones, like this. Anyone have experience with them?

    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a-...-lower-a-arms/

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    242
    I have the full lower and upper a-arms and axle housings from FFRC.com and they will last and outperform any other suspension parts on the market. I've been running them for 6 months and CNC is the only pro way to go, my suspension is bomb proof. The tolerances are so exact that the composite mounts absorb all the bashing I can give them. They are made in America in Idaho and you will not regret getting the setup.

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude98 View Post
    I have the full lower and upper a-arms and axle housings from FFRC.com and they will last and outperform any other suspension parts on the market. I've been running them for 6 months and CNC is the only pro way to go, my suspension is bomb proof. The tolerances are so exact that the composite mounts absorb all the bashing I can give them. They are made in America in Idaho and you will not regret getting the setup.
    Just checked em out. They are nice!!

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New Jersey for now
    Posts
    181
    Will you post a link to that sight. I type in ffrc.com in the browser and it finds nothing for me.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St. Helens, U.K.
    Posts
    631

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,601
    I'm not big on the aluminum parts. IMO, I think most (not all) aluminum parts are mostly for show.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    72
    Bling looks good until you hit something

  17. #17
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    so maybe just get beefier shocks then and avoid aluminum lower/upper arms?

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by taquito83 View Post
    so maybe just get beefier shocks then and avoid aluminum lower/upper arms?
    For the price of the aluminum arms on the x-maxx I'd definitely advise you to save your money. If money is no object and/or you just want your X-Maxx to look cool then go right ahead. Again, if you just want durable arms just go with the RPM arms that were released. Now they're going for about $20 for 1 set of upper/lower arm.

    I Wouldn't say "beefier" shocks are needed. Stock shocks are fine. Better shock shafts are a MUST if you're doing some big jumps. only speaking from experience with my x-maxx.
    We are all one race. The human race.

  19. #19
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    For the price of the aluminum arms on the x-maxx I'd definitely advise you to save your money. If money is no object and/or you just want your X-Maxx to look cool then go right ahead. Again, if you just want durable arms just go with the RPM arms that were released. Now they're going for about $20 for 1 set of upper/lower arm.

    I Wouldn't say "beefier" shocks are needed. Stock shocks are fine. Better shock shafts are a MUST if you're doing some big jumps. only speaking from experience with my x-maxx.
    Yes, meant a better shock shaft. been reading a lot they tend to snap.
    27.95 for rpm arms.

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by taquito83 View Post
    been reading a lot they tend to snap.
    You read correctly lol Imagine snapping a shock shaft on a jump, head into your house and fix it with a new shock shaft, go back out and do the jump again and it snaps again
    We are all one race. The human race.

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St. Helens, U.K.
    Posts
    631
    There's a much thicker shaft out there now.
    Looks pretty good.

    Al.

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    There's a much thicker shaft out there now.
    Looks pretty good.

    Al.
    are you refering to the 7763t new coated shafts?
    We are all one race. The human race.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St. Helens, U.K.
    Posts
    631
    Nope.

    These: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-X-Ma...4AAOSw9NdXvs5q

    Blue is available too.
    Unless there's an optical illusion, they appear perhaps 50% thicker than standard.

    Al.

  24. #24
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    Nope.

    These: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-X-Ma...4AAOSw9NdXvs5q

    Blue is available too.
    Unless there's an optical illusion, they appear perhaps 50% thicker than standard.

    Al.
    Those are the ones I was also interested in, saw someone mentioning them in another thread. has anyone else used these?? yes they do look twice as thick than stock. I don't mind spending $100 bucks on the truck if they are better.

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,028
    Dang those are BEEFY. I haven't seen anyone here claim they used them. That's a steep price tag!

    I gotta give D-Hawk Racing the props though...Their pretty much leading the X-Maxx aftermarket world.
    We are all one race. The human race.

  26. #26
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    5
    I am just getting into R/C again and about to buy my X-Maxx and now knowing that you can upgrade and change the parts... wow time has changed for the R/C world

  27. #27
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by New2RC2016 View Post
    I am just getting into R/C again and about to buy my X-Maxx and now knowing that you can upgrade and change the parts... wow time has changed for the R/C world
    Yes it has. My first RC was the Tyco Bandit.

  28. #28
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    148
    What everybody needs are RPM parts...stronger and lighter...I've put them on each of my monster trucks.

  29. #29
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New Jersey for now
    Posts
    181
    Those shocks are 6.8 mm shafts compared to the stock 5mm shafts. I debating on a set for mine.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier rtmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Across river Portland,Or.
    Posts
    680
    What if a person just wanted to try a set of the beefy shock shafts or can only afford one set for now.

    Which end do you think they should be installed, front or rear?

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    What if a person just wanted to try a set of the beefy shock shafts or can only afford one set for now.

    Which end do you think they should be installed, front or rear?
    I seemed to always break the rear.
    We are all one race. The human race.

  32. #32
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    What if a person just wanted to try a set of the beefy shock shafts or can only afford one set for now.

    Which end do you think they should be installed, front or rear?
    I broke a front, but admittedly it was from running into a pipe sticking out of the ground that I didn't see. Broke a rear trying to land a front flip off of a 20 foot rock pile. So this doesn't help at all, but just saying I have broken each on back to back runs. I was thinking of doing both, maybe one at a time.

  33. #33
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    26
    I got the RPM upper and lower arms in the mail today. They certainly feel stronger than the stock ones. I was going to replace all 4 but it got late so I quit. So far I am happy with the feel and look.

  34. #34
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbails View Post
    I got the RPM upper and lower arms in the mail today. They certainly feel stronger than the stock ones. I was going to replace all 4 but it got late so I quit. So far I am happy with the feel and look.
    Did you have to adjust anything? I remember when I bought the RPM arms for my other Maxx trucks, they never fit perfectly like stock parts did.........if you say you didn't have to make adjustments to camber or toe or anything...I'm buyin em ASAP!

  35. #35
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallett240 View Post
    Did you have to adjust anything? I remember when I bought the RPM arms for my other Maxx trucks, they never fit perfectly like stock parts did.........if you say you didn't have to make adjustments to camber or toe or anything...I'm buyin em ASAP!
    no adjustments at all, they are universal so a set is supposed to fit either side, front or back. I put it on the back and it was real easy.

  36. #36
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    148
    All I know is that I usually LOVE RPM...BUT I just got some for my X Maxx and they FLEX so easily at the end where the pin slides into the carrier that they flex open and the pin slides out! Luckily, the two times it happened within 30 minutes...I found the pin, used pliers to straighten out and get back on the road.

  37. #37
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Scarborough, Western Australia
    Posts
    88
    For what it's worth, I have the GPM upper suspension arms and I'm very happy with them. Since I got them I haven't had any issues with breaking suspension arms. I'm also using the DHawk shock shafts, and have turned my front shocks upside-down. No breakages at all since I made these changes months ago.

    Marty

  38. #38
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    627
    DHawk shock shafts, RPM rear Carriers and Alloy Upper arms is what I run and I am very happy with it

  39. #39
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    DHawk shock shafts, RPM rear Carriers and Alloy Upper arms is what I run and I am very happy with it
    THis might be the #1 formula for a very durable x-maxx. I still have to the dhawk shafts. just wished the came in black aluminum.
    We are all one race. The human race.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •