RC Qualifier

Super bright lights on my Aton

Found these really bright lights on ebay , only 1.5 watts and easily seen even on sunny days . Helps a lot with orientation when my Aton gets far away .

sent from Northern Vermont

RC Racer
    nice mounting job too. looks clean and almost OEM look. Do you have the link for ebay? How did you mount them with a screw up front? not sure by the pic.
    Nice though.

RC Racer
    Definitely digging these. If you cant post the link on eBay, then at least post what words to type in to find them lol

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    I used cable clamps from the hardware store as mounts , shrink tubes to cover the wires . thought about hardwiring them straight but I made a splitter to run the gimbal at the same time if I want to run the camera and the lights at the same time .

RC Racer
    Outstanding! Those look great! I tried mounting a Streamlite weapons light into the GoPro holder for the 2-axis gimbal but the gimbal freaked out due to the increased weight of the light. It specifically says cameras lighter than 2 ounces and my light exceeded that weight.

RC Racer
    That really is a sharp setup. I think I'll order 2 pair, I've got another quad that I can hardly see at night.
    Thanks for sharing. ;-)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter33 View Post
    That really is a sharp setup. I think I'll order 2 pair, I've got another quad that I can hardly see at night.
    Thanks for sharing. ;-)
    No problem... this is my 3rd version of lights .. Haha

RC Racer
    Have you considered mounting those light on the gimbal platform to keep them pointed forward and steady? That's what I tried to do, but failed on the first attempt. Don't get me wrong though, yours is already very cool.

RC Qualifier
    I mounted my 168 lumen rechargeable bike light on the gimbal at one point , worked pretty well . Just not really into flying with the landing legs .

Looks awesome! How did you wire in two lights? As the lights are sold they only have a direct connector for power? Splicing required to run two?

Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    Found these really bright lights on ebay , only 1.5 watts and easily seen even on sunny days . Helps a lot with orientation when my Aton gets far away .

RC Qualifier
    Yes , did a splice.. 2 into 1 . There's just enough room in front of the battery .

RC Competitor
    Do they offer them in colors? Looking for Lime Green

RC Competitor
    I'm using a GoPro under water light kit without the GoPro, works sweet but, it as big as the GoPro lots of light and has a bright, dim and a sos flashing setting that you can see far far away but, looking for something so I don't need to run the legs. Looks sweet

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Glafko View Post
    Do they offer them in colors? Looking for Lime Green
    Not sure , colors would be cool !

RC Qualifier
    Can you explain or show some better photos of how you attached these lights to the Aton? I just received my set and not sure how you mounted the cable tie? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I used cable clamps from the hardware store as mounts , shrink tubes to cover the wires . thought about hardwiring them straight but I made a splitter to run the gimbal at the same time if I want to run the camera and the lights at the same time .
    Also what size of screw did you use? Having a hard time locating a longer 2.6 self tapping screw.

RC Qualifier
    Can't remember the screw size off the top of my head .. there not self tapping, regular stainless with washers . I brought my Aton into the hardware store and picked the correct length.

RC Qualifier
    1/2" Cable clamps holding lights

RC Qualifier
    1/2" Cable clamps holding lights

Perfect! I was thinking you used zip ties somehow. This makes sense. Will be making a trip to the hardware store tonight. Thanks for the help.

RC Qualifier
    I got these installed, very similar to the install hemidoo did, and they really make a world of difference. I ran a couple packs yesterday early evening and even though it was still pretty bright outside, you could easily see these lights. Really helps out with orientation when the aton gets far away. I believe there was minimal impact to battery life too. Thanks for tip heimdoo!

RC Qualifier
    Sweet ! , happy to have helped

RC Qualifier
    As far as battery usage, a 5000mah pack will run these lights for 30 plus hours .

RC poster
    Great work hemidoo! Thanks for idea. I am really appreciate it, i am very happy with my Aton, is`s beast! Greeting from Czech republic...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Marana View Post
    Great work hemidoo! Thanks for idea. I am really appreciate it, i am very happy with my Aton, is`s beast! Greeting from Czech republic...
    Thanks ! There still working great and are still really bright also , so it seems there made well .

RC Racer
    Good job. I was wondering though if you could tap into the existing lights and be able to turn them on and off.
    Does anybody know what the original light voltage is? If its 12v I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    E-Revo, E-Maxx, X-Maxx, Aton Quad

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkeringman71 View Post
    Good job. I was wondering though if you could tap into the existing lights and be able to turn them on and off.
    Does anybody know what the original light voltage is? If its 12v I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    It could work, but it would be important to consider the circuit which is used to control the built in LEDs and whether it can handle switching the extra current more LEDs would require. That circuitry could be damaged if it is asked to switch more current than it is designed for.

I don't believe schematics are available. So, I think someone would have to trace the existing circuit to see if we can tell what the components used are.

Larry

RC Qualifier
    Pretty much why I stayed away from that circuit. . Risk blowing it out by being overloaded.

RC Racer
    Didn't even think of that. Good Point! Now just need to find a schematics somewhere or a brave soul...

RC Competitor
    Just got some... WOW! those lights are Blistering Bright!...

RC Competitor
    Just mounted mine to the rear with double sided sticky tape under the roll hoop, this works great for orientation from the rear, and is super bright!... Only used one light, flew it in partial darkness, works great!...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Atonpilot View Post
    Just mounted mine to the rear with double sided sticky tape under the roll hoop, this works great for orientation from the rear, and is super bright!... Only used one light, flew it in partial darkness, works great!...
    Picture! Picture!

RC poster
    Newbie here...bought my Aton last week, and flying in Film Mode. When you say, 'did a slice, 2 into 1' can you explain to us non-tech guys? Do you mean red to red and white to white, etc? Then, where did you connect those wires and how? Thx.

RC poster

Question Light on Aton

So the lights are spliced, put into a male plug that plugs into the place the camera would normally plug into?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by uldriver View Post
    So the lights are spliced, put into a male plug that plugs into the place the camera would normally plug into?
    Yes , really easy to do
    wires are red /black normally
    Last edited by hemidoo; 08-30-2016 at 07:57 PM.

RC poster
    Wow! I followed the link and spent the next hour looking at all kinds of lighting possibilities. Round, square, red,blue,green,white...singles,doubles, strip light set....you could launch a flying circus....Now....with a big enough battery do you think we could actually go along on the flight? Hey ! just dreaming.
    Jon