RC poster

Anything I need to know as a new user? receiving new Aton on Monday

Hi, How do I know if it need a firmware update? etc. I want to have a good day not a nightmare lol

RC Qualifier
    I'd say plan on doing a firmware update/compass calibration ... get the Traxxas flight link on your smart phone ,Tab or ipad

RC Qualifier
    1. Do the firmware update immediately
    2. Don't fly or even just spin up the props indoors just to try it. You know that moment in the living room just after unboxing it when it's late and dark outside.
    3. Start slow practice in film mode doing a cross pattern.
    4. Altitude is your friend. The higher you are the more time you have to recover.
    5. Don't fly over water or houses or people.
    6. Register with the FAA
    7. Consider joining AMA. It gets you privileges and insurance.
    8. Have fun. Know you will crash bend a prop or two, crack a landing gear or 3 but they are sacrificial parts and cheap.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Check that the included AAA batteries are ok, mine were not.
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

RC Racer
    AIR BRAKES!!! When in doubt hit em. My first real flight I came inches from landing in water because it got blown off course in RTH mode and I didn't know I could stop it with air breaks!! It hit a tree and then bounced to another branch and fell straight down just missing the little trench filled with water. Don't be like me, hit air brakes :P
    X-MAXX, Stampede VXL 4x4, Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Do the update no matter what it says. Calibrate no matter what. Start in film mode. Practice your orientation. When you get good at that go to sport mode, but always have Airbrakes ready.

RC poster
    All good advice. I spent a lot of time reading various posts on this site. Watching utube videos. Especially reading and re-reading the available instructions beore I took my first short flight last week. I stayed low and I am just starting to get comfortalbe with the controls. It's great fun and given the potential cost of sudden contact at high speed with the ground (due to operatior inexperience) I say be happy just gradually upping the throttle. My grandkids just loved it !
    Jon Sr.

RC poster
    Ok Thanks guys,

I did the update, and compass calibration. Batteries were good. Have at least 3 hours fly time with them in the tx and they are only down 1 bar from full. Had my first geofence breach today and I don't think I was that far away but I'm glad it came back and not farther away. Thanks again for the input. All good advice.