Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Xmaxx Differential Question: Will they hold up to 6s?

Hi everyone, I have been hearing a lot of issues with the Xmaxx differentials and for that reason, I have not moved away from 4s yet. People make it seem as though they will break as soon as 6s is plugged in. Are they as weak as many have said? I'm also trying to take into account the fact that there are many different driving styles on different terrain so there is another variable involved. I have a mild driving style, easing onto throttle, no throttle on landing, no self-righting, etc. but I do like to take advantage of having a large brushless setup here and there. So the question is, will the stock diffs hold up to this or will I have to look at Kershaw designs or the spiral cut gears? If so, what is everyone's experience with either of these gears? Thanks in advance.

RC Competitor
    With the cost being the same to replace, I'd say buy a set from dan anyway, and if the stock ones do let go, you're set.

RC poster
    When I got my xmaxx I pulled both diffs before I ever ran the truck. I cleaned out all factory lubes and put in 50k filled all the way. I then put a bunch of marine grease on the pinion gear, and do mean a bunch grease. I then put it all back together. I am running the castle 2028 motor with the castle Xlx speed control on 8s. I have been running it for a about a month on 8s, and my diffs are still running strong. I do plan on trying the KD gears in the future. But in my experience the factory gears seem to be holding up to the job.

RC Qualifier
    I've had mixed results. The stocks and spiral gears lasted the same when on 6s. Broke them both. Now I'm on 8s with a 1340kv motor and broke them the same. Most of the time when it broke was because I was still on the throttle a little on jumps or gunning it from a stop. Please keep in mind that I had a locked clutch. My wife's Xmaxx is still running on 8s 1340 with the original stock diffs. She doesn't drive it hard like I do. Kershaw says mid September they will be back in stock. Heard they had manufacturing problems with a certain company.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashracer17 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have been hearing a lot of issues with the Xmaxx differentials and for that reason, I have not moved away from 4s yet. People make it seem as though they will break as soon as 6s is plugged in. Are they as weak as many have said? I'm also trying to take into account the fact that there are many different driving styles on different terrain so there is another variable involved. I have a mild driving style, easing onto throttle, no throttle on landing, no self-righting, etc. but I do like to take advantage of having a large brushless setup here and there. So the question is, will the stock diffs hold up to this or will I have to look at Kershaw designs or the spiral cut gears? If so, what is everyone's experience with either of these gears? Thanks in advance.
    I ran the stock diff's with no problems on 6s then when the spirals came out i installed them and still have yet to have a problem running 6s with bigger motor to boot. I think its all about driving style when it comes to longevity and limited breakage
    Fortenwinkler

I have a updated/modified ESC/motor, and mine runs just fine on 6s without any problems to speak of.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by classicchevy View Post
    I think its all about driving style when it comes to longevity and limited breakage
    Spot on!

Stock diffs are just fine on 6s. Hate to see guys complain about diffs breaking when they put their trucks through torment and expect every thing to be fine.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Spot on!

Stock diffs are just fine on 6s. Hate to see guys complain about diffs breaking when they put their trucks through torment and expect every thing to be fine.
    Could not have said it better myself!
    Rustler VXL, Slash Ultimate, X Maxx

RC Competitor
    I just replaced my front diff with another stock set. I am not buying into the spiral gears as I have read and seen them break the same as the stock ones. They are quieter however. What I did do is changed out the diff case with the aluminum one from Hot Racing as I have read that the plastic stock one could possibly be flexing a little which could contribute to the gears breaking teeth.

I am running on 6s with the stock motor and the HW Max6 ESC with 18/50 gearing. I didn't break the diff until I installed the new esc and went higher gearing. I used marine grease as well and filled the diff box with 50k also.
    Last edited by Tamuro; 08-26-2016 at 04:01 PM.
    Rustler VXL
    ERBE
    X-Maxx

RC Competitor
    Stock diffs are fine on 6s. You really need to run it on 6s to get the most of it. just bash the heck out of it,

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome, thank you all for the replies! I think I'll be trying 6s and see how that fares considering I'm not too harsh on it. Thanks again for the input!

RC Enthusiast
    I have only 4 sets of batteries through mine, but it's been all on 6s and no issues.
    Trout.

RC Racer
    I've had mine 7 months and have only broken a shock shaft, no broken rims, diff gears, servo gears, body etc. I bash hard and have done many many endos and backflips and cartwheels. I have spares of everything and never used them. What are you guys talking about, LOL. I still have stock everything and I beat this thing daily.

RC Competitor
    I have had my X-Maxx since February and I only run 6S. The only way you will break diffs on 6S is overusing the self-righting feature, or constantly landing jumps on full throttle such as backflipping off of things.

RC Racer
    I run 6s with a locked slipper and have no problems. I do full throttle punches from a stantstill and worst that happens is it flips on its back. I have 20+ runs on it and love the truck. Im not saying i wont break one, but i have not yet. +1 on LOTS of marine grease on the pinion and ring gear though.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC Enthusiast
    How are you temps with the Castle setup? What gearing are you running? I'm thinking about moving to that setup so I can go faster but in a safer way other than by gearing up the stock system. My 6s have already began to puff too so I'm not sure if the Castle setup would fix this. My theory is that a larger motor would likely draw less current because it's not as stressed. Can you confirm this?

RC Qualifier
    Never broken a diff in any other vehicle I own in fifteen years mainly traxxas,but the maxx eats them.
    I'm from rip off Britain

RC Racer
    I've gone through 3 rears diff gear sets, but I've never had a problem with the fronts yet. I've had the truck since December and have ran it around 70 times, most of which using a HW Max6 ESC on 6S with punch at level 3 and 17/50 gearing. I recently blew a bearing in the rear diff, so I installed a spiral-cut gear in the rear while I had it apart. At the cost of the spiral gear set, I hope to be able to get 50 runs from them. I recently starting using automotive grease as well as gray silicone gasket maker around the housing cover and bearing journals and that seems to keep the dirt and sand out. I recently posted most of this in another thread, but figured it was on-topic in this thread also. Periodically, I plan to check and re-grease the rear gears. I really like how easy this truck is to work on, and I've been very pleased with it's overall durability except for the factory ESC.

RC Racer
    So from what im gathering there has to be some lemons in the lot of these trucks. People are eating diffs left and right stock and then there are people running 8s on huge motors doing backfilps at rather high speed rolls. And myself, i keep my slipper locked down compleately and run this thing hard. Landing jumps on the throttle and on the brakes. Maybe some of us are just lucky but its sure seems like something else is going on with them.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

I think a good chunk of the problem is guys running their Xmaxx's on asphalt. (IMO) the XMaxx, Emaxx, ERevo (to name a few dirt vehicles) shouldn't be run on high traction surfaces unless you really go out of your way to set them up to handle it...and even then, that's what an XO-1's for.

RC Competitor
    I shimmed my diff bearings on one side. That was the only play I could see in the rearend.

RC poster
    I am with you on that reply regular guy. Had my FG beetle for 10 years. I have done intermission shows in Pittsburgh for the monster jam shows for the whole life of that truck. Never blew any gears and that thing was 10 lbs heavier and would backflip on a standing start. I am sad that I sold it to get this XMAXX. Listen up traxxas. Come out aluminum diff cases like you could buy for the tmaxx and the problem would be solved.
    Last edited by Yzjim1; 09-26-2016 at 05:53 PM.

RC Racer
    ive ran 3 sets of 6s through my truck and have eaten a front ring and pinion and two rears. my slipper is at factory settings and i jump the crap out of it but i do not land on the throttle. All driving is in grass. Im going to try to get another rear ring/pinion and loosen up the slipper. It would be nice if someone could keep up with demand on these spirals/kershew ring/pinions. Nothing more frustrating than having over 1k in a truck that cant get through a whole pack of batteries without eating a diff.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk View Post
    ive ran 3 sets of 6s through my truck and have eaten a front ring and pinion and two rears. my slipper is at factory settings and i jump the crap out of it but i do not land on the throttle. All driving is in grass. Im going to try to get another rear ring/pinion and loosen up the slipper. It would be nice if someone could keep up with demand on these spirals/kershew ring/pinions. Nothing more frustrating than having over 1k in a truck that cant get through a whole pack of batteries without eating a diff.
    Same problem here, my last post got locked .My stock truck keeps eating diffs , so i went spiral and they lasted less than 1 day and less than 3 charges.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RamAireTransAm View Post
    Same problem here, my last post got locked .My stock truck keeps eating diffs , so i went spiral and they lasted less than 1 day and less than 3 charges.
    I would check to see if any part of the bulkhead might be broken, mainly the lower one...

I've only bashed mine on 6s at construction sites jumping big dirty piles and have not had an issue yet with the stock diffs. I have not used the self right feature... Mind you I do not land on throttle and have not touched my slipper from the factory.

RC Enthusiast
    Alright so here's an update, 6s has been running great so far and nothing (knock on wood) has broken as of the time of this post. I am, however disappointed with the lack of "punch" the stock ESC gives so I just bought a Castle XLX and will be installing that soon. I will update again once that is installed as it should give more "punch" and low end torque so we will see how the truck handles this. Thanks again for all of the replies!

RC Qualifier
    The XL-X is MILES better than the stock ESC so be careful how much extra power you're putting through the motor and diffs and driveshafts.

I also think I read that there's an update in the XL-X software which some say gives yet more power, once you get it.

Al.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey everyone. I have since installed the Castle XLX ESC and wow, this thing is a monster now. That small change turned this truck into what it should have originally been. It has much more power from start and the additional tuning capabilities make this truck amazing now. After several hard runs with my SPC 7200 6s, the truck has held up flawlessly. I may have gotten lucky but there have been no issues despite going to 6s and installing the Castle ESC.

RC Racer
    I'm running max 5 esc with the 1340kv motor on 6s. I have a moderately rough driving style. I don't use self righting but I gun it off starts and jump it 3-4 feet mostly at full speed. Only thing I have broken was the front left steering cup and hub. Diffs and diff lube is factory. I do plan on upgrading them with 50k lube this winter. Though my brother is a rougher driver then me rough enough to break his chassis. But he has KD's diffs.

RC Racer
    So the KD differential ring gear and pinion are bulletproof?

I broke a tooth off my front ring gear today on my 10 day old X-Maxx. I emailed Traxxas and expect them to send me a replacement but I'm guessing this will be a recurring issue.

RC Racer
    Their tougher than stock to my knowledge but I wouldn't say bulletproof

Last week I finally blew out a diff. My rear diff to be exact, and I'm a 6s kind of a guy. I calculated approximately that I had about 140ish half hour-ish (plus) runs on my truck. I don't use the flip-over-thingy, but I do_do very heavy bashing at construction sites. All-in-all, I feel that my Traxxas stock diffs don't owe me a thing. They (IMO) did very good.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-16-2016 at 06:19 AM.

RC Competitor
    As with many others, I've broken my front ring and pinion; and rear ring, pinion, and spider gears (stock motor, ESC and gearing; metal spur gear). I now have spiral cut in the front, and I'm waiting for the rear ones to arrive (it takes a long time for stuff to get to Western Australia). My X-Maxx gets run fairly hard, so I have no issue with the breakages so far - I figure it's all part of the fun of RC bashing.

RC Racer
    I don't know what do you guys reference of "hard bush" but I have broken 4 diffs already..
    The last one hold up for amazing two runs!
    The stock diffs are a piece of junk if you ask me.
    I don't know what to do with this truck, it a lot of fun but it start to be a big pain in the ***...
    I will probably go for KD diffs but this will cost me another 100$ and I already got tiered of throwing money on this truck.

I don't know what do you guys reference of "hard bush."
    Charging full speed threw big ruts, powering up huge lumpy piles of dirt, flying/jumping off massive piles of dirt...in other words...MASS HYSTERIA!
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-17-2016 at 03:46 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Charging full speed threw big ruts, powering up huge lumpy piles of dirt, flying/jumping off massive piles of dirt...in other words...MASS HYSTERIA!
    Well if your diffs and stubaxle pins survive my guess is that you don't bash it like I and my friends do..
    The ring and pinion gear (and stubaxle pins) of this truck is simply a joke and hold this truck from being the best basher truck that it should be.
    I'm running 18 tooth pinion with stock system

Well if your diffs and stub axle pins survive my guess is that you don't bash it like I and my friends do.
    I was just kidding about the mass hysteria part, but the other stuff I said is exactly right on the money true. I'm not saying we both run the same exact brutal horrible way, but I can say (at worst) that I'm very, very, very, super unbelievably far away, from even coming the least bit close, to babying my Xmaxx. That...I can say, and I can also say, that I had good luck with my Xmaxx all season long.

Just incase you (or, anyone else is interested) I'm running 54/26 Leopard 1340kv/Castle XL-X with 6s Lipo's.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-17-2016 at 02:43 PM.

RC poster
    I am running shimmed stock diffs and have yet to have any issues at all. I jump 10-15ft high jumps at a skate park regularly and truck holds up just fine as well has full throttle runs with a Max6 ESC Letting off the gas before landing does wonders with helping the diffs survive.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kringlekrush View Post
    I am running shimmed stock diffs and have yet to have any issues at all. I jump 10-15ft high jumps at a skate park regularly and truck holds up just fine as well has full throttle runs with a Max6 ESC Letting off the gas before landing does wonders with helping the diffs survive.
    What shims do you use?
    I might be giving it a try before going for KD diffs..

RC Qualifier
    fabricator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast