RC Enthusiast

Brushed Titan Heads Up

Hey there. Just wanted to post my experience so others don't make the same mistake. I purchased a castle single shrouded fan for my brushed Traxxas Telluride. It worked great out of the box, but when I zip-tied it onto the motor, it refueled to spin. It just fluttered a little. So, I cut my ties off, and completely uninstalled it to see what was wrong, and as soon as I took it all off, it worked again. The same process happened to me 2 more times until I just set it on the motor and realized the motor was somehow preventing the fan from functioning properly. However, it did work just fine on my Castle 3800 5mm on my Rustler. That's when I noticed a body clip stuck to the the brushed motor and it hit me. So, I took a neodymium magnet that I had laying around and proved my theory correct that the brushed motor gives off a magnetic pulse that prohibits the fans from spinning properly. For some reason, although both the brushed and brushless motor contain magnets, only the brushed motor gives off magnetic pulses. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why this is, because my 5mm brushless motor still has 4 neodymium magnets in it? I'm sure many of you already knew this would happen, but just getting this out those for those of us that didn't.
    XMaxx. Rustler. No one starts at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden353 View Post
    Hey there. Just wanted to post my experience so others don't make the same mistake. I purchased a castle single shrouded fan for my brushed Traxxas Telluride. It worked great out of the box, but when I zip-tied it onto the motor, it refueled to spin. It just fluttered a little. So, I cut my ties off, and completely uninstalled it to see what was wrong, and as soon as I took it all off, it worked again. The same process happened to me 2 more times until I just set it on the motor and realized the motor was somehow preventing the fan from functioning properly. However, it did work just fine on my Castle 3800 5mm on my Rustler. That's when I noticed a body clip stuck to the the brushed motor and it hit me. So, I took a neodymium magnet that I had laying around and proved my theory correct that the brushed motor gives off a magnetic pulse that prohibits the fans from spinning properly. For some reason, although both the brushed and brushless motor contain magnets, only the brushed motor gives off magnetic pulses. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why this is, because my 5mm brushless motor still has 4 neodymium magnets in it? I'm sure many of you already knew this would happen, but just getting this out those for those of us that didn't.
    Your Titan already has a fan built-in, if your having trouble with temps, change your gearing.

Sent via Slash 4X4 and Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden353 View Post
    ... For some reason, although both the brushed and brushless motor contain magnets, only the brushed motor gives off magnetic pulses. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why this is, because my 5mm brushless motor still has 4 neodymium magnets in it? I'm sure many of you already knew this would happen, but just getting this out those for those of us that didn't.
    The magnets on the Titan are around the circumference of the ferrous motor can. The magnets on the BL motor are near the center, on the rotor, and are also housed in a non-ferrous can with a large air gap to the outside of the can. That is why even though the BL motor has much stronger magnets, it does not affect the fan.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The magnets on the Titan are around the circumference of the ferrous motor can. The magnets on the BL motor are near the center, on the rotor, and are also housed in a non-ferrous can with a large air gap to the outside of the can. That is why even though the BL motor has much stronger magnets, it does not affect the fan.
    Ty, you are a fountain of knowledge my friend. I wondered the same and after explaination it makes perfect sense!

Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks ksb51rl!
    XMaxx. Rustler. No one starts at the top.

You are both very welcome.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Hayden you didn't buy it for ur telluride. That fan is for brushless motors only.