RC poster

Rustler VL5 steering too sensitive - does TQi transmitter work with rustler VL5?

This post is twofold.
    1. Complaint about no adjustment (signal or mechanical) of XL-5 steering sensitivity.
    2. Does the new TQi transmitter work with stock XL-5 receiver?

1. I bought 2 XL-5s and they are wonderful bashing trucks for jumps, donuts & j-turns, but the steering is way too sensitive for controlled (track) racing and there are no adjustments on the new TQ transmitter, and no "extra holes" to mechanically adjust the steering throw on the car. I would think any decent model would at least account for steering throw mechanically if the radio system doesn't offer adjustment.

2. I just bought 2 TQi transmitters. They look identical to my TQ except for the extra red button and "multifunction" knob. Will these work with my XL-5 Rustlers?

Thanks!
    Last edited by dangdude; 08-27-2016 at 09:25 AM.

RC poster
    Oops, this says it will work:
    https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-...tibility-Guide
    I have the 6516 or 6517, so I have the 6519 receiver, so all the "later style" TQi transmitters will work.

The receivers that will work are dependent upon what generation of TQi you have, there is a chart in the support section that shows what will work with what. The receiver (RX) is really independent of the XL-5, and should work if you have the right TX/RX combo.

As far as transmitters go, the TQi is an ok system for RTR, covers all of the base functions, and is fairly reliable. But, I would not recommend buying them aftermarket, there are too many good radio systems out there that provide a ton of tuning options, and are 100% easier to change settings. I love my DX3R and MT4 transmitters, both are mid-range in price, but there are other options out there for less that are a lot better than the TQi.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Thank you RC. I looked up your suggestions and like you said, those radios are very nice for the money. For now, I bought the TQi transmitter only, with no bluetooth model or cover, for $22 each on eBay, just to get the steering adjustment. I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible for now--I have 2 rustlers so my 6 year old and I can go play and I don't worry about breakage. Someday I will have nice things again. :-)