Help with upgrading Stampede 4x4 brushed

So I recently bought a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 brushed, and a few days after getting it, I did some research and found out the Titan 12t 550 wears out unbelievably quick.
    So, now i'm looking to upgrade my Stampede to a brushless system and I don't really know that much about it, so i came here for help.
    Some things i need help with are:
    -What parts need to be upgraded with the motor
    -What is the best affordable brushless system that would work with the Stampede
    -What size battery will I need.
    -What other upgrades could be made
    -How much will it cost (On a pretty strict budget)
    Thanks in advance for all your help!
    -Jeff

-i prefer the mmp 2400 if you can find one
    -i would consider new cvd's (tekno or mip x-duty's) and 17mm hubs to take care of any wheels stripping in either tekno or hot racing
    -spc makes a good 3s lipo but regardless of what you get make sure it's at least 50c
    -regardless of what power system you end up with you should buy and aluminum motor mount and the aluminum bearing adapter.
    prepare to spend close to what you spent on the truck to make it bomb-proof... and no i'm not kidding
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

So, first of all, I disagree with your opinion on the Titan 12t. I have had one on my stampede for almost 2 years and it was still running very strong (until I upgraded to brushless.) But a brushless system is definitely the way to go.

-Not many things will need to be upgraded. Your stampede will be ready for brushless power. However if you do go faster there is more risk of stuff breaking
    -One of the best brushless systems for the money in my opinion is the Castle Creations Sidewinder 3. I just installed it on my brother's stampede 2wd and it works great. High-speed, waterproof, programable, it works great. I picked one up at Hobbytown USA for 95$. You can find it online for that price aswell.
    -I would guess that you have a NiMh battery. You will only reach up to 35 mph speeds, so a bit faster than before. However, if you have a 3S Lipo, then you can reach speeds upwards of 60 mph. You will also have to buy I lipo charger. I suggest this 3S lipo along with this charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-2970-...xas+id+charger

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-2872X...ywords=3s+lipo

This Traxxas ID charger will also let you charge your nimh batteries as well.

-Well, for other upgrades, I don't know, whatever you want!
    -For the Sidewinder System, 95. For all of it (system, lipo, charger) it will total to be 207$.

Stuff you need to know:
    The Sidewinder 3 system does not come already with a soldered-on connecter. You will need to solder one on yourself (or go to a Hobby shop and they can do it for you) There are no female connecters avaliable online, so I suggest you go with a converter from Deans to Traxxas. If you put a deans on an Id battery, you will not be able to charge it correctly. Here is a converter you will need to go with: http://graysonhobby.com/female-traxx...oogle_shopping Here is another part you will need to buy for the hobby shop to solder on: http://www.maxamps.com/deans-ultra-f...FQYdaQoda3YNkQ Also note that the Sidewinder Sv3 system does not come with tabs that you can screw on. The best option (double sided sticky tape- don't trust) is to get the RPM esc cage. https://www.amazon.com/RPM-73272-Cas...inder+esc+cage

Total cost w/ everything added up: 227

I know this seems like a ton of money, but it is worth it. Even if you do not have enough now, save up. It will be worth it in the end.
    Last edited by ljl23; 08-27-2016 at 09:49 PM.
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will definitely look into both of your suggestions.
    Is there anyway I could get a brushless system that doesn't go AS fast but is still good quality for less?

Also, I would like it to be full waterproof.
    Last edited by Go4x4OrGoHome; 08-27-2016 at 10:15 PM.

RC poster
    I need help just got a vxl3s set up for my stamped i need help i cant get it out of lipo mode?

The Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 is fully waterproof. I don't think you can find anything under that that is waterproof.

Turn on the transmitter, connect a nimh battery, and then go to the reciever and turn it on. Then hold the ez set buttion for 10 seconds. It will turn off. Keep holding it, and then it will make a little sound and the led will turn red.

RC Racer
    I would plan on getting the metal center prop shaft instead of the plastic one the brushed comes with. Shaft nad driver for the clutch is around 15-20 bucks. Know that the gear ratio of brushed is much lower, so grab a couple of pinions, 11-15 would be a good start. I ran for a while on stock axles, but will never regret going Tekno as I would break a couple of stock shafts every play day. I got really good at swapping them out and rebuilding them though lol.

So how fast will the Sidewinder 3 run? And does it fit good inside the car? Or do i need extra parts to make it fit?

Ok, so I've decided that I'm going with the Sidewinder sv3. What would be the best pinion to spur ratio for this motor and what other parts do I need besides the aluminum drive shaft and RPM kit? (I'd prefer all parts from ebay or amazon because my dad will be more reluctant from any other site, lol)

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4x4OrGoHome View Post
    Ok, so I've decided that I'm going with the Sidewinder sv3. What would be the best pinion to spur ratio for this motor and what other parts do I need besides the aluminum drive shaft and RPM kit? (I'd prefer all parts from ebay or amazon because my dad will be more reluctant from any other site, lol)
    Replace all the turnbuckles with the steel ones from the VXL. I'd also replace the steering and caster blocks with the aluminum ones from Traxxas. Also I changed out my rear carrier hub with the one from RPM.

Great choice! Now time to save up for that lipo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I have no experience with these, but I heard the hobbywing 60a are decent for the price. U can find Motor and esc brushless combo for $80! I'll want to look into a lipo. 2s is enough for lots people.

Is there anywhere I can get a LiPo that will fit for a lower price?

RC Competitor
    gens ace are good batteries for lower price.

Ok, Thanks. I will make sure to take a look at some of those.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Svillax View Post
    I have no experience with these, but I heard the hobbywing 60a are decent for the price. U can find Motor and esc brushless combo for $80! I'll want to look into a lipo. 2s is enough for lots people.
    This is what I have in my truck (and the wife's) running 2s and it's got plenty of power. No issues with heat either (running in the grass and pretty hard). I wouldn't say I could run multiple packs through it without a break but it will go the full 18-20 minutes my 5200mah Lipo will provide with no issue.

I've heard good things about Vant Lipos. I haven't tried one as of yet though.

Chris