RC poster

Exclamation Stampede 2WD Titan 12T 550 motor problems

I've had my Stampede 2WD for around 4 years. Ever since I got it, I've been having problems making Titans last. I broke every motor in, and still can't get long run times in them.

The one I had recently started smoking and smelling really bad, but wasn't losing motor power, so I was confused. The smoking went away the next day, and thought everything was alright, was able to do a few runs. Yesterday, I did a few passes down the dirt path behind my house, and was losing power each time I went back and forth. It finally burned out completely (which I expected), and it smoked and stunk really badly. I had to spray it with the garden hose before I could take it out of the truck.

Would brushless be a better turn for it? I'm looking to get something better that would last longer than these Titans. Any low-cost brushless sets that can be recommended?

Titans have to be babied to get them to last. How much after-run maintenance did you do?

I like the CC 3800 system for a go-to brushless setup, it is not the cheapest, but I have found them to be very reliable and easy to program.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    $125 for a VXL system off ebay. Stock, simple, fast, and reliable. IMO>

RC Racer
    I'd be careful before changing the motor in your Stampede.
    I mean, yeah Titan have a bad reputation, but still my titan lasted a couple of months of hard bashing in mu rustler or my mini-revo before I switched both over to a vxl.

I think that if you keep having problem with the motor... the more you went through, the less likely it is that the motor is the "real" problem. You're not saying how many you went through... but it seems to be a lot. So I would have a look at the drive line (diff / transmission / slipper / gears / driveshaft / carriers / nuts / pins / wheels) to make sure nothing is bidding and everything is working fine there. If everything is working correctly, then it might just be a stroke of bad luck on the motor.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalsam View Post
    So I would have a look at the drive line (diff / transmission / slipper / gears / driveshaft / carriers / nuts / pins / wheels) to make sure nothing is bidding and everything is working fine there.
    Everything checked out fine, no gears were stripped, no binding, nice and smooth spinning out of both driveshafts. I've replaced about 4 motors since I've gotten my Stampede, and the stock motor lasted about 4-5 months, 2 motors lasted about 2-3 months, and the others lasted less than a month. Most of the time I just let the truck sit there with no motor in it since I didn't know what to do.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by eiaquinto View Post
    Everything checked out fine, no gears were stripped, no binding, nice and smooth spinning out of both driveshafts. I've replaced about 4 motors since I've gotten my Stampede, and the stock motor lasted about 4-5 months, 2 motors lasted about 2-3 months, and the others lasted less than a month. Most of the time I just let the truck sit there with no motor in it since I didn't know what to do.
    Unless you're really trigger-happy with that remote and you're running constantly in tall grass (read: always over-heating the motor)... it's hard to see that 4 titans would have lasted you less than a year. If you pick up a brushless motor, buy it from your local RC shop - if it dies on you, you'll be able to get some customer service to figure out why.

RC Competitor
    What spur/pinion are you using you might be have to gear down or do a 3/4 turn on the slipper clutch. If the rpms are normal but the speed is not then you might have the slipper too loose. Also, check make aure the diff is lubed. Your either getting too much resistance or too little.

RC Qualifier
    Or spend $125 and have a truck that is 2x as fast, 10X as fun and much more reliable. Of course if it fits in your budget.

RC Qualifier
    Do you check the temperature? getting over 200F will ruin a motor in a hurry. 160f is considered the normal max temperature.
    Running in grass will get hotter than pavement. to high a gear will also get hot fast. most of mine run about 5 min. before getting near 160. All IMO; Don

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    Or spend $125 and have a truck that is 2x as fast, 10X as fun and much more reliable. Of course if it fits in your budget.
    Or he'll just be out 125$ if he doesn't fix the current problem.
    Going through that many Titan motors in so short time is not normal... there's something wrong elsewhere. Might be the truck, might be the driving. Going brushless will just cost more to replace.

Going through that many Titan motors in so short time is not normal... there's something wrong elsewhere. Might be the truck, might be the driving. Going brushless will just cost more to replace.
    Aside from the Titan (and before that the Stinker) being a throw-away motor to begin with, the biggest thing that kills them is simple lack of routine maintenance, few people take the time to properly clean and lubricate them. If this is what is killing his Titans, then going BL will cure most of his ills.

As always, whenever a change is made to the drive train, recommend taking temps every five minutes or so for the first pack to make sure the motor is not overheating.

besides all the good feedback there has been one important question missed..... did you break the motors in properly or just installed them and ran the snot out of them?
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    What type of after run maintance should be done?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Aside from the Titan (and before that the Stinker) being a throw-away motor to begin with, the biggest thing that kills them is simple lack of routine maintenance, few people take the time to properly clean and lubricate them. If this is what is killing his Titans, then going BL will cure most of his ills.

As always, whenever a change is made to the drive train, recommend taking temps every five minutes or so for the first pack to make sure the motor is not overheating.
    I understand what you're saying, but my experience has been different. But then we have no idea how the OP is running his truck (hence a statement I made in my second to last post). I mean, I ran my titan motor without any after run maintenance and they lasted months on both nimh and lipos - but I've always been careful about temps. I replaced them before they died on me with a brushless system... so I find it odd that he's going through motors like this in so short a time.

Replacing with a brushless might cure most of its ills - but I can't agree with just throwing this out there and hope for the best. It's not like brushless systems are bulletproofs, yes they are better suited for many things, but still... you can still break them and they are a bit pricier to replace than a brushed motor.

I understand what you're saying, but my experience has been different.
    100% why we are here, share and learn.

He did say that he broke in the motors, but gave no detail as to how he did it. That would be important for knowing if he is doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx newb View Post
    What type of after run maintance should be done?
    Depends on the conditions that the motor is ran in.

For general bashing/track running, I blow out the motor with 30-40psi air (last thing I do when blowing off the rest of the RC) when I am done running for the day. Every 10-15 packs or so I remove the motor, run electric motor cleaner through it until dirt stops coming out, blow it out with air and let it set for a few hours (normally over night). I put a drop of light machine oil on each bearing (bushing), comm drops (if I have them), then throw the whole mess back together. I check temps after about five minutes of running to make sure everything is happy.

For running in water/snow, I blow out the motor after I am done for the day.

Running in mud, dusty areas, and sand, I clean and lube the motor after I am done for the day.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 08-31-2016 at 01:19 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by eiaquinto View Post
    I've had my Stampede 2WD for around 4 years. Ever since I got it, I've been having problems making Titans last. I broke every motor in, and still can't get long run times in them.

The one I had recently started smoking and smelling really bad, but wasn't losing motor power, so I was confused. The smoking went away the next day, and thought everything was alright, was able to do a few runs. Yesterday, I did a few passes down the dirt path behind my house, and was losing power each time I went back and forth. It finally burned out completely (which I expected), and it smoked and stunk really badly. I had to spray it with the garden hose before I could take it out of the truck.

Would brushless be a better turn for it? I'm looking to get something better that would last longer than these Titans. Any low-cost brushless sets that can be recommended?
    If you go back and look at some of the threads when the Stampede was more popular you will see that the Titan motor issue is well documented and for a while Traxxas was giving you replacement motors. I'm not sure that they are still doing this but I know it was happening for a while as I got a couple of replacements.

The problem is generally 2 fold. 1 is the motor needs to be broke in. Back in the day there was two methods to this and it caused countless fights on the forums about which on worked better. My experience has always been that breaking in the Titan using the water method yielded the best results. Basically just remove the motor from the gearbox but leave it wired to the ESC. Submerge the motor in room temperature water and run it ar about 1/8 throttle for about 3 minutes. Once removed from the water be sure to run it for a minute to expel any remaining water. Then place 1 drop of oil on each bushing and put it back together.

The second part of the issue is that the Stampede is grossly over geared and causes the motor to run extremely hot. Out of the box the XL5 comes with a 19 tooth pinion. With the height of the tires this is simply too much gear. If you drop down to 16 or 17 tooth you will see that motor temps will drop and the motor will live a lot longer.

As for Post run maintenance. Just pull the motor out of the truck and blow it out with compressed air. From there you want to put 1 drop of oil on each bushing. and put it back together. About every 5 or so runs you can remove the motor and run it under war water to remove the gunk and junk that builds up inside. Just be sure to dry it and oil afterward.

Doing what I described above, I generally get a full season out of a titan which is generally 50/60 runs. If you want a low cost durable brushed replacement motor. Tower sell a motor call the S-600 that is just about same speed as the titan but tends to last many times longer. I have a couple of Rustlers with S-600's that have been running for years.
    Last edited by Basher 1; 08-31-2016 at 01:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    But the OP said.......

I've only run brushed motors long enough to justify spending the money on brushless so I've only burned out 1 Titan. But LOTS of people complain about their reliability.

I think most people that have gone through that many Titan's would benefit greatly from upgrading. Knowing the fun factor and reliability of VXL I would never tell someone in this situation to buy yet another Titan brushed motor. (unless then could not afford it.)

I would suggest a cheap temp gun so the VXL doesn't overheat.

My $.02 which really costs nothing, you get what you pay for.