RC Racer

Aton Battery Option?

What other batteries will fit the Aton?
    If someone could chime in I would be grateful. Just like to know what options are out there.
    Found these...

Last edited by Tinkeringman71; 08-30-2016 at 11:54 AM.
    E-Revo, E-Maxx, X-Maxx, Aton Quad

RC Racer
    Also found these, but that's it other than max amps and not even considering those..Way too much money!

RC Qualifier
    Being a Traxxas run forum, you won't get a lotta options here .. just saying

sent from Northern Vermont

RC Qualifier
    I run some SPC lipos in my cars. SPC and SMC come highly recommend on the other Traxxas forum's. I haven't checked if they make any that will fit the Aton. Maybe check it out and let us know..

RC Enthusiast
    Honestly I've had the best luck with the Traxxas batteries. Although I've only tried the Venom packs. I'm new to the Aton but I've puffed 4 of the Venom packs to beyond use with my Spartan and E-Revo but the 2 stock 5400 Traxxas packs that came with my spartan are still being used today with over a year of heavy use. IMO the Traxxas packs C rating is under rated.
    Aton E-Revo Spartan
    BJv3/XR10

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. Any help is good help.
    I have a set of smc for my x-maxx and love um. Good batteries. Might see if I can find one to fit the Aton.
    Let ya'll know my findings.

RC Racer
    I LOVE venom batteries, however, that exact battery i have is puffing just like my stock 5000mah traxxas ID aton battery did. Aton just loves to make em puff up when you pretty much go from half to full throttle the entire battery!

RC Racer
    That is what i was afraid of. I fly very aggressively. Might have to tame myself a little. Haha...

RC Racer
    Thats what I believe I need to do as well... I need to focus more on throttle and directional management and getting the speed and momentum i need without having to go full throttle all the time...

I just need to get pro at LOS already >.<

RC Racer
    Vant Battery 11.1V 5200mAh 3S Cell 50C-100C LiPo Battery Pack w/ Traxxas High Current Style Connector
    Dimensions LxWxH: 134.5 x 43.5 x 27.0 mm

Glacier 30C 4000mAh 3S 11.1V LiPo Battery
    Diminions LxWxH: 137 x 42 x 24 mm
    Last edited by Tinkeringman71; 08-31-2016 at 07:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    I run some SPC lipos in my cars. SPC and SMC come highly recommend on the other Traxxas forum's. I haven't checked if they make any that will fit the Aton. Maybe check it out and let us know..
    I use an SPC in my Aton.

SPC LiPo Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 5600mAh, 60C, 3S, 11.1V Soft-Case

Fits no issues although the plug was a little too long to let the cover close easily, so I cut it down.

JMO, I wouldn't use any lipo with less than a 50c rating.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by neows6 View Post
    I use an SPC in my Aton.

SPC LiPo Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 5600mAh, 60C, 3S, 11.1V Soft-Case

Fits no issues although the plug was a little too long to let the cover close easily, so I cut it down.

JMO, I wouldn't use any lipo with less than a 50c rating.

I have this same battery .. it hangs out of the battery box by about a inch .
    I've flown with it with the battery door taped closed. IMO the battery weight out does any gains .

RC Qualifier
    I emailed SPC , pretty much said they had zero interest if they had a battery to fit the Aton. I like many i feel SPC has great batteries for trucks n such .

Last edited by hemidoo; 08-31-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    I emailed SPC , pretty much said they had zero interest if they had a battery to fit the Aton. I like many i feel SPC has great batteries for trucks n such .

If past history is a guide, they probably said something like they do not have a Aton at their shop and to test for exact battery pack fitment. I know they are careful regarding dimensions because certain persons from this forum and elsewhere have made trouble regarding POTENTIAL fitment issues, if you can believe that. However, you can use the dimensions listed for each pack as shown on their website. As those dimensions are accurate, the exact fitment could then be determined by the user. I think they are also hesitant to promise vehicle-specific packs at this time since in the best of conditions it would take several months to get them in stock. For now one of the other packs may fit (see above). But "zero interest" - I don't see SPC answering that way.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    I mistakenly bought a 3s 5000 mah 25c lipo for my aton as opposed to the 20c that came with it. It fits but barely. am I hurting anything running the 25c?? my first lipos have been on a nitro kick for a few years!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BadLarry View Post
    I mistakenly bought a 3s 5000 mah 25c lipo for my aton as opposed to the 20c that came with it. It fits but barely. am I hurting anything running the 25c?? my first lipos have been on a nitro kick for a few years!!
    You'll be fine. The higher C rating the better.

RC Qualifier
    My Traxxas 25c lipo puffed also. I love the Aton, it's an agile flier built like a tank. And great for filming and photos, but the batteries are a poor choice for the current draw.
    I have twice as many flights on my non Traxxas batteries and no issues. One is 60c the other 65c.

RC Racer
    My Traxxas 25c lipo puffed also. I love the Aton, it's an agile flier built like a tank. And great for filming and photos, but the batteries are a poor choice for the current draw.
    I have twice as many flights on my non Traxxas batteries and no issues. One is 60c the other 65c.

May I ask what other types of batteries are you flying with?
    One is a 60 and other 65c. What kind?, What size?,How do they fit?

RC Qualifier

Traxxas Aton Reflective Battery Strap for Larger Batteries

Make one of these and you can use a bunch of other batteries:

Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
    Agreed. No idea why Traxxas refuses to make a battery higher than 25C. Ridiculous!!!

I'd also be interested in hearing what you're running. I've got a couple 5600 mAh from SMC for my E-Revo that don't fit in the compartment unfortunately. As a result I've only flown the Aton once cuz I TOTALLY don't trust the 5000 mAh 20C battery they included with it.
    I've put my Aton in the air at least a 100
    Times with the Traxxas 5000mah battery .. Don't sweat it , it'll be fine .

RC Racer
    I've put my Aton in the air at least a 100
    Times with the Traxxas 5000mah battery .. Don't sweat it , it'll be fine .
    It all depends on how hard you fly it. Running full throttle 90% of the time flying the pack will swell...
    I have gone through 2 of them. Or maybe I just fly too hard or have bad luck. lol...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkeringman71 View Post
    It all depends on how hard you fly it. Running full throttle 90% of the time flying the pack will swell...
    I have gone through 2 of them. Or maybe I just fly too hard or have bad luck. lol...
    bingo! traxxas should release a huigher c rating battery for aton

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
    Agreed. No idea why Traxxas refuses to make a battery higher than 25C. Ridiculous!!!

I'd also be interested in hearing what you're running. I've got a couple 5600 mAh from SMC for my E-Revo that don't fit in the compartment unfortunately. As a result I've only flown the Aton once cuz I TOTALLY don't trust the 5000 mAh 20C battery they included with it.
    I think my post got pulled, apologize Traxxas. I hope this helps.

Measured as best I could.
    The dimension of the inner space of the Aton is
    45.5 mm W x 31 mm H

The length is somewhat variable.

The Traxxas 3s 5000mah battery is listed to be 135 mm L x 28.5mm H x 44mm W. The physical measurement for the length minus the wire and plug is in actuality 130mm.

In order to get the wire and plug to turn back 180 deg, and plug into the fixed male battery connection the length of the battery plus wire curve and plug is about 150 mm, depending on how tight the wire is looped.

The cover to enclose the battery adds 40 mm to the frame length of 132 mm

For an absolute length of 172 mm

172mm -150mm gives me an extra 22 mm added to actual physical length of the stock battery is which would be

152 mm leaving 20 mm for the wire and plug to make the 180 deg. rotation.

Add a bit room for Lipo puffing id estimate max size would be give or take .5mm

152mm L x 45mm W x 30.5mm H

I'm really taking a guess on the length. The room needed to loop the wire back to the plug is highly dependent on the length of the wire.

I have been able to get a 153mm long battery fit but had to carefully shorten the wire. So that I could still get the cover to close.

A word on the battery capacity.
    When flying hard.
    My 3200 mah 65c (I forgot the weight) battery lasts about 6 minutes.
    My 5600 mah 60c (420g) battery lasts about 7 minutes.
    When flying in film/photo mode.
    3200mah lasts about 10 minutes.
    5600mah lasts about 17 minutes.

So it really depends on how you plan to use the battery. There is definitely a diminishing return on the larger heavier battery when flying hard. Where I really only get a 1-2 minutes increase in flight time.
    For slow video flying there is a definite improvement in flight time with the heavier battery.
    This makes obvious sense as it is much harder to change direction when there is more weight.

My next battery will be around 4000mah to see if that is a better sweet spot.

RC Racer
    I think my post got pulled, apologize Traxxas. I hope this helps.

Measured as best I could.
    The dimension of the inner space of the Aton is
    45.5 mm W x 31 mm H

The length is somewhat variable.

The Traxxas 3s 5000mah battery is listed to be 135 mm L x 28.5mm H x 44mm W. The physical measurement for the length minus the wire and plug is in actuality 130mm.

In order to get the wire and plug to turn back 180 deg, and plug into the fixed male battery connection the length of the battery plus wire curve and plug is about 150 mm, depending on how tight the wire is looped.

The cover to enclose the battery adds 40 mm to the frame length of 132 mm

For an absolute length of 172 mm

172mm -150mm gives me an extra 22 mm added to actual physical length of the stock battery is which would be

152 mm leaving 20 mm for the wire and plug to make the 180 deg. rotation.

Add a bit room for Lipo puffing id estimate max size would be give or take .5mm

152mm L x 45mm W x 30.5mm H

I'm really taking a guess on the length. The room needed to loop the wire back to the plug is highly dependent on the length of the wire.

I have been able to get a 153mm long battery fit but had to carefully shorten the wire. So that I could still get the cover to close.

A word on the battery capacity.
    When flying hard.
    My 3200 mah 65c (I forgot the weight) battery lasts about 6 minutes.
    My 5600 mah 60c (420g) battery lasts about 7 minutes.
    When flying in film/photo mode.
    3200mah lasts about 10 minutes.
    5600mah lasts about 17 minutes.

So it really depends on how you plan to use the battery. There is definitely a diminishing return on the larger heavier battery when flying hard. Where I really only get a 1-2 minutes increase in flight time.
    For slow video flying there is a definite improvement in flight time with the heavier battery.
    This makes obvious sense as it is much harder to change direction when there is more weight.

My next battery will be around 4000mah to see if that is a better sweet spot.
    That was one of the best write ups Ive seen in a long time. Awesome Job!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkeringman71 View Post
    Has it not made it back to you because of the battery ?

Seems a little extreme for the op to not fly at all because the stock battery might be a little short delivering power to the motors. I guess if I ran any of my trucks at 90% or over for the entire load of a battery I'd expect I might have problems if I didn't upgrade /modify in some way .

RC Racer
    Has it not made it back to you because of the battery ?

Seems a little extreme for the op to not fly at all because the stock battery might be a little short delivering power to the motors. I guess if I ran any of my trucks at 90% or over for the entire load of a battery I'd expect I might have problems if I didn't upgrade /modify in some way .
    I get what your saying, but I have other quads and run them as hard or harder and don't seem to have a problem. If the C was a little higher then I don't think there will be a problem.

RC Competitor
    I love the Venom. They don't seem to ever balloon on me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanweaver0 View Post
    I love the Venom. They don't seem to ever balloon on me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    4000mah or 5000mah ?

RC Racer
    Here is a New One people are talking about.
    http://www.mylipo.us/Lipo-5000mAh-11...e-TRAXXAS-ATON

RC Enthusiast
    have you actually put this into the Anton? seams larger-

RC Enthusiast
    I am flying- have 2-5000 and 1-3000- just wondering if there is a bigger longer lasting battery for the money-
    nothing wrong with the three I have now- just looking for more knowledge- Venom says they have one that fits
    as well as Max Amps- FYI

thanks all.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixxie33 View Post
    have you actually put this into the Anton? seams larger-
    I have one of these above ( mylipo 5000mah ) fits just fine

I found these on Ebay. 2 for $92 from GoNitro. https://www.commonsenserc.com/produc...nm4lc4vvdkl2f1

RC poster
    I've flown my Aton 100 times or more with the Traxxas 5000mAh battery as well and will continue to do so since I haven't had issues with them while in flight. I have 3, 11.1v, 5000mAh batteries that share my abuses. Flight time with only one battery leaves me wanting more so, to get the satisfaction Aton is capable of providing, I take 3 batteries with me every time I fly.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been using these for awhile now with great results. Good power , great run time and they fit well. I use a Tenergy TB6B balance charger at 5 amps to charge them . 5200 50c 11.1 v

https://www.rcsuperstore.com/Lectron...shoppingengine