RC poster

Question Recommended gearing? Hot motor cool esc.

Hello from Norway.

I recently bought a used ERBE and got a castle mamba monster 2200kv with a hobbywing 150a esc. I ran 20/54 gearing and The motor got hot on 6s. I tried 18/65 today After a recommendation on this forum. But After 15 minutes of bashing and a few speedruns i experience a hot motor and a cool esc. This means ITS undergeared right?

I love my erbe, and it runs normal at 4s, but i love the power of The 6s, and ITS made for it.

What is The best gearing for my setup, how can i reduce heat? I can hold my fingers on The motor, but barely. I do have a castle fan stripped to my motor.

Hope someone can answer my question. Kind of fresh to this market. Sorry for my crappy english.

Sincerely Jonas/erevomadness

I would say that is under geared

Hot motor + cool esc = under geared.
    Cool motor + hot esc = over geared
    Everything warm just right..

Part Number: RRP8721 <change the last two number for tooth count
    Manufacturer: Robinson Racing
    Hardened .8 mod 21T Pinion Gear with 5mm Bore (32 pitch)

6S or 4S = 18/54 Is a good starting point
    4S = 21/54 ~ 20/54 you are still pretty safe on temps but you still need to watch them till you get to know the truck better

edit what are up calling HOT??

Motor ~ 180/190F (82/88C) maximum, ideally 140/160F (60/71C), temps can be 10F higher inside the motor
    ESC ~ pretty much same temps / MMM Fan comes on @ 150F (65C)
    The MXL-6S / MM2 fan runs non-stop, also should be taken off when driving in wet conditions.
    Lipo's ~ 140F (60C) max, ideally 100/120F (38/49C).........
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    Thanks for The reply 87GN. I have read there statistics before. But its hard to measure temps without a tempgun. For all I know my temps can be normal. But i heard this "finger on motor for minimum 5 seconds" ur safe?

I just want to know others experience regarding The erbe. What is good pin+spur for 6s, Need to kill the heat!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by erevomadness View Post
    Thanks for The reply 87GN. I have read there statistics before. But its hard to measure temps without a tempgun. For all I know my temps can be normal. But i heard this "finger on motor for minimum 5 seconds" ur safe?

I just want to know others experience regarding The erbe. What is good pin+spur for 6s, Need to kill the heat!
    As stated in the E-Revo's manual :

MOTORS AND GEARING
    CAUTION: Read before operating your model with 65+mph gearing!
    • The 24/54 ratio for use with 6S LiPo batteries is designed for maximum speed on smooth surfaces only, with steady acceleration to full throttle.
    • Do not use this gear ratio for general driving.
    • Avoid repetitive starting and stopping.
    • Do not use the 24/54 ratio with NiMH batteries or low-capacity LiPo batteries. 5000mAh LiPo batteries are recommended.
    • Allow the motor to cool between runs, and monitor motor temperature.
    • Do not use the 24/54 gear ratio for off-road running or overheating and damage may result.
    • Do not allow the motor temperature to exceed 200 F or damage and motor failure may result. To accurately monitor motor temperature and prevent overheating, a telemetry temperature sensor (part #6521) is included with your model. The sensor is installed on the motor to continually monitor temperature as you drive. See page 31 for more information on real-time telemetry and TQi advanced tuning.
    The manual recommends 18/65 for 6S driving / bashing and 18/54 for 4S driving / bashing...
    On speedruns 18/65 will be a bit undergeared... You could try 18/62... 18/58... for starters

You should get a temp gun, they're fairly cheap to buy and it'll give you a good idea...

RC poster
    Thank you Imprez for your answer. Good information from the prod there. I've ordered a tempgun now, and thinks thats the only way to actually find out whats better. My setup is currently 18/56, do you think thats a good start too? I do have these spurs and pinons: P: 18, 20 S: 56, 65, 68.

RC Qualifier
    18/56 should be a good all around gearing for both 4S and 6S use