RC Enthusiast

Question Making a Getto XO-1 and need some help

I'll cut straight to the chase. Im going for a super low budget XO-1 but I still want it to go 100mph and be brand new. I have the battery's and Tx and Rx. I'm planning on buying a roller chassy, wheels and tires, the 1717 motor and body... However I have a E-Maxx (brushless) and was wondering if I could borrow the esc from that to power the XO-1? Feel free to post any answers, suggestions or just comments in general. Thanks in advance! -Banana

RC Qualifier
    My advice there is no Getto-ing an XO-1 if your on a budget best thing you can do keep saving your money & just buy a brand new RTR XO-1. UMM hello that ESC is for a Monster Truck not for an XO-1. You do what you want just saying.

RC Competitor
    I went down the rolling chassis route myself. It definitely wasn't cheaper (it was just perceived that way when the initial chassis cost was cheaper) but when you start adding things up, it gets pretty close to the RTR cost. Building the car is a good way to go if you want to make it personalised though.

As for power systems, the XO-1 has quite a big current draw (about 120amps from the motor), so you'll need something that can cope with that. Remember the XO-1 runs a derivative of the castle mamba monster, so you'll need something close to that to be able to manage around 100mph.

RC Qualifier
    I figured that Whittaker... I get the biggest kick out of people on hear that go the cheap way buying a chassis than there surprised how much the other stuff costs. I am currently in the middle of a brand new Kit Build my step son wants to try his hand at indoor carpet oval track racing "this winter" he already has invested $460.00 in the Car & ESC & Motor. & still needs to buy a body & recever & a mylaps race transponder I am helping him funding wise by time car is race ready I'd say total investment will be around $600 -650. Banana is almost better off building a Kit Car or just saving and when the money is saved just get the XO-1 new...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I was the same way, I figured a roller would save me some money but rollers no matter what they include or don't include you'll still be spending up to $700 give or take. I ended up getting mine on eBay for $530

RC Enthusiast
    Well I am making a custom body and dying the wheels. Also did you look at all the things I already have? I don't want another Tx/Rx, Servo, Body, Wheels, etc. Even if I have to buy a esc its still going to be at least $150 cheaper then the RTR. But thanks for the opinions of using the E-maxx's esc, guess I will just bite the bullet and buy a new esc.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    The emaxx uses a rebranded mm2 so it will power a xo-1, since a xo-1 is just a mm2 anyway correct? Only difference that I know of is xo comes with cap pack already installed. Can just put a cap pack on the emaxx esc and be good to go.

Triple digit club member!
    100mph pede 4x4
    106mph Mamba Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds good but what is a cap pack? And if I install one would the esc still be functional for the Maxx?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticBanana View Post
    Sounds good but what is a cap pack? And if I install one would the esc still be functional for the Maxx?
    It helps with voltage spikes, etc under hard loads. You can make your own or get one from castle or sagecustomrc. I have one on my MM2 in my rusty.

Triple digit club member!
    100mph pede 4x4
    106mph Mamba Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the explanation. Does it matter that the esc is waterproof? And the caps won't effect performance in any way? Also, after installing the caps will the esc be able to handle the draw of the 1717?

RC Qualifier
    I have used my MM2 to make speed runs and go way over 100mph then turn around and use the same esc on my monster truck to bash around with. From what I have read here the xo1 MME esc is programmed differently than the MM2, but the MM2 with some cap packs like the General said will do the job.

Fyi, phildogg makes cap packs too.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

RC Enthusiast
    Ok then. I'll put a cap pack on the esc and be good to go. Thanks everyone for the help!

RC Competitor
    I run the Castle MM2 in my XO-1 with a separate castle cap pack and it's the perfect solution. The MM2 is also easier to work with - no need to unlock the 100mph mode, it just works. Plus, with the performance of the XO-1, you won't really be using it in the wet anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it being waterproof, just make sure it's the newer version with the ESC fan to keep everything cool, as the whole system does get very hot given all the power running through it.

Now a possible other way to think about it, you could just buy the RTR XO-1 and sell the parts you don't want, or keep them as spares?

I went with the rolling chassis option as, like you, I already had some of the gear (mainly my spektrum AVC radio system) but also wanted to build it my way, so I went with the traxxas XO-1 dish wheels and tyres, Killerbody RC bodies (Corvette and Alfa Romeo 8C), Traxxas/Castle 1717 motor, Castle MM2 with cap pack as well as various non-traxxas aluminum upgrade parts. I'm really happy with the outcome though, and it's a great car! You'll definitely enjoy building it the way you want though!

Can just put a cap pack on the emaxx esc and be good to go.
    That's what I did, and this is my third season with it. I use a MM2 with the XO-1's cap pack and it's cap pack mount. I talked to Castle, and they said you don't want to run a MM1 or MM2 with the XO-1's 1717 motor without a cap pack.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Here's a picture of my MM2 with the original XO-1 cap pack and housing. I had to wait until I got home before I could get this photo. Also, I have a few extra wires due to having OBA, and a remote ON/OFF switch. The point is though, that it can be done and it works great.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 09-07-2016 at 02:00 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.