RC poster

Question T-Maxx classic 3.3 shut off while running and will not restart

I was driving my classic T-Maxx and it just shut down. I went over to it with the starter and it would not fire back up. I let it sit for a long time and came back out and try to restart and it will not. I check the fuel and the air filter to make sure it wasn't that and they seem okay. It will still not start

A little back history. I just traded this thing for some other stuff on another forum. I had to replace the motor and stuff at Traxxas. I am well past the break in process. It has been running good and I have only made about an 1/8-inch lean. But it was still putting out Blue Smoke and I was going to lean it some more today when it died. I have almost ran a whole gallon of 20% through it.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-07-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: merge

Engines need four things to run: air, fuel, glow and compression. Make sure you have each and you have a running engine.
    Air: going in and out only through the filter and stinger respectively.
    Fuel: going in and the right mixture. Whole system needs to be air tight so that the fuel is pushed to the carb and there is no blockage at the carb.
    Compression: can be felt on a cold engine by being harder to turn when at TDC. Also verified by taking the engine apart and pushing the piston up through the sleeve and making sure it stops before becoming flush with the top.
    Glow: make sure the plug glows. It may under 1.5v but it needs to maintain the glow when in the presence of the fuel.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Unplug your fuel hose from the carb, keep pointed it away from the car. Bump the ez start while your blocking the stinger. Check if the glo light on the ez start is lighting up and fuel should be spewing out. If you have both then plug everything back. Remove the air filter, prime until u see fuel spraying out of the carb. The idea is that you are making sure fuel is getting to the cylinder without drowning the engine. Now unflug the top ez start motor wire. Press the ez button, you are pre warming the glowplug, after 2 to 5 sec. keep the button pressed, use a needle nose plier to hook the wire back to the ez start motor. Hope that helps.

Hold everything.

Check your glowplug

You did not sound like you tuned your ride... Ambient temps, humidity, barometric pressure andany change in fuel requires retuning...

I don't think I've EVER heard someone leaning up the LSN from facotry, most times the reverse.. Did you try the pinch test? Tune with 1/2 a tank?

If an engine overheats (temps not mentioned) it will expand to the point that there is not enough compression to run OR the glowplug burns up (hope that's the actual case).

You need a hand held temp gauge, a cheap Duratrax works fine. Follow these guidelines with the tuning manual and things will be fine. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ul-Tuning-tips

All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    I appreciate it guys. It was the glow plug after all. It lasted about a 1 gallon can of 20%. Traxxas did not break in the motor for me I had to do it myself. Everything I read said I will have to lean it a little bit at a time to tune it up. Yeah I saw about going too far and backing it back down. After I put in the new glow plug it seems like it does not want to idle anymore. And if I tighten the glow plug too much it will not turn over. I feel like the glow plug should be tighter? Why won't it turnover with the glow plug too tight? And what can I do to make it idle better? How do I post pictures on here

RC Competitor
    The copper washer in the glowplug will make it feel like it should be tighter, if you tighten it too much you could strip the threads. Easiest way for me to tell if the plug is tight enough is to snug it then torque it 1/8 or 1/4 turn. Verify the tightness when shes at norm temp, look at the plug and make sure its sealed by visually looking for leaks as it is running. Tightening it shoulnt make the ez start.not work unless the plug and piston are hitting. What plug are u using.

Did you get the correct plug for it? Did you put the copper gasket on it prior to installing the plug?
    If you cannot turn the engine over once you put the GP in the head, pull the plug and shine a light in the GP and look for damage to the piston.

You should be able to rotate the engine over be hand with the GP in.

All Traxxas and for that matter all engines(except those bought from modders) have to be broken in, there are no factory engines that I know of that come broken in and tuned.

My tune here in Florida will be very different then say a tune in Colorado.

I change out plugs at the gallon burned mark irregardless of how they are running atm.

Glow plugs need to be snug + a 1/16 turn or just past snug, just enough to crush the soft copper gasket and it doesn't take a lot of force to do so.

As for your idle, you need to tune your engine, tune at half tank, warm engine, tune HSN-LSN-HSN(if needed).
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    3232X
    I have been working the tune a little at a time since I am new to this I don't want to burn it up. Maybe a 16that or 8 of a turn a day. I keep checking for blue smoke I got plenty of that. And it is not cutting out at high speed yet. I also question whether I have a 2 speed or not it seems like it won't go into high gear. On the videos I can hear it change gears but on this one it does not. Is it possible that I have a single speed T-Maxx classic?

RC Competitor
    I suggest u pick up a temp gun. Tune for performance, but keep temp readings so u dont overheat it. Tuning with smoke is ok too, but soetie when ur too rich or too lean theres no smoke. When i was learning to tune it took me almost a gallon tobget it running right. The hardest thing for me was finding the sweet spot where the LSN and HSN transitions. My cars used to idle high for a while after a WOT run. Good luck. Oh and the 3232X can withstand a coule of overheats. perfect for tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbakedi420 View Post
    3232X
    I have been working the tune a little at a time since I am new to this I don't want to burn it up. Maybe a 16that or 8 of a turn a day. I keep checking for blue smoke I got plenty of that. And it is not cutting out at high speed yet. I also question whether I have a 2 speed or not it seems like it won't go into high gear. On the videos I can hear it change gears but on this one it does not. Is it possible that I have a single speed T-Maxx classic?
    Glow plug failures are a tell tale sign you have a lean issue.....

A glow plug (not to include the one used for breaking in a new engine) usually last at least a gallon.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall