Thread: Gearing pitch?

RC Enthusiast

Gearing pitch?

Hello all. I have a question about gearing pitch. As I understand it, there is 32p, 48p, 64p, and a few other metric ones. My rustler came with 48p stock, but I am trying to get it up to 65mph, and am going to gear 26/86 or so. I guess I would strip 64p, but should I downsize to 32p, or even mod 1? Thoughts and input is appreciated
    XMaxx. Rustler. No one starts at the top.

I think the 48p does just fine and I run several different ratio's, the one I keep the most is 28/86 but I do run 31/76 every bow and then.
    Fron what I have read the 32p has just a little more options than 48p IDK. I can clock over 50,60 without the 32p and that is fast enough for what I do. I am not one of those who want to do speed passes then wait for a cool down just let me bash for 45min. to an hour and I am fine.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

I upgraded my Slash to bigger power with 5mm pinions. That left me with the Velenion and some 32p 3 mm pinions so I threw a spare 32p spur on the Rustler and have been running it geared 18/54 ever since. Works great but the gear cover won't fit without mods...I run without it.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Ok. Jerry, I guess you are running on 2s lipos with the 31/76 gearing. I was worried I couldn't even make a pass with a 3.5 gear ratio on 3s lipo, but I should be fine, I guess, right? I think I'll stick with the 48p because of cost and because I don't do bashing with my rusty. I will definitely move to 32p or just an aluminum spur if I strip this one.

Your guess is wrong as I run the 3S with the 31/76 just to watch people say "dang that thing is fast" then I switch back after I show off .
    Metal spur? NEVER! unless you like pulling the tranny apart alot. It will put unwanted stress on the internals of the tranny. The spur is designed to give before your internals if some kind of weird unforeseen problem would arise such as a twig getting stuck in the axles or a hard landing on full throttle etc.,etc....
    Stampede/Rustler

Gears with higher pitch numbers work together more precise. Gears with lower numbers are stronger but since they work less precise, they are more noisy.

As long as you stick to the stock motor and mesh them right, you can safely use 48p.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Your guess is wrong as I run the 3S with the 31/76 just to watch people say "dang that thing is fast" then I switch back after I show off .
    Metal spur? NEVER! unless you like pulling the tranny apart alot. It will put unwanted stress on the internals of the tranny. The spur is designed to give before your internals if some kind of weird unforeseen problem would arise such as a twig getting stuck in the axles or a hard landing on full throttle etc.,etc....
    . That's incredible! I can't believe you can even make a pass with that eating, you have the 2400kv/2200kv? Don't think my 3800lv could even handle that , and 3800 is pretty low for a rustler. That's good to k ow about the spur gear. I know most people agree, so I'll keep replacing my $3 gears instead of my tranny.

I ran mine on 3s geared with that 18/54(3.0:1) I almost made it through the pack before it thermal shut down on me. I let it cool and finished the pack. This was a combo of full throttle fly-bys on the street and some pretty hard bashing through the grass on SC tires/wheels. I fully expected it to get hot so it wasn't a surprise. I usually run 2s packs in this truck and have zero issues with heat...it's still plenty fast for me. If I want to get silly fast I pop a 4s in my Slash with the KD 2700kv geared 20/54.....lol.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    I have proline so tires on mine too. That should make a difference too.

I run the SV3 4600kv but have changed the esc to the MMP but the SV3 esc took 3S great! MMP just runs cooler.
    Stampede/Rustler