RC Competitor

Am I a Good Candidate For

A steel spur gear. Slash 4x4, Castle 2400 with the VXL 3s. Backyard bashing only on dirt with 2S and 3S. Dirt is decomposed granite with lots of small rocks. So in the first pic are Spurs that got stripped from what I believe are small rocks getting in the compartment even though I do run the cover. The second pic is the last one I had trouble with. I don't know if it melted or what. I set gear mesh with the paper method and double check everything. Car seems to roll smooth and I hooked a bat up and ran the motor to observe the pinion shaft. Motor seems fine and nothing looks bent. So I know the best thing to do is have the plastic spur as the weak link but maybe my combo of car, driving style and terrain might be saying different. Yes I am worried about heat transfer and will be getting a fan. What do you guys think?

RC Competitor
    Does the pinion look beat up?

RC Competitor

No, the pinion looks like it's in good shape. Pinion is actually pretty new. BTW I do have the Kings Head Motor Mount also.

I do not think a steel spur gear is needed. On my ERBE I hardly ever went through one. Getting your mesh set-up perfectly as well as your slipper is very important.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Competitor
    +1 on the gear mesh. I've never been successful with the paper method. I got to the point of doing it by feel and sound. Haven't stripped anything yet.

RC Champion
    A bad motor mount bearing or motor bearing will cause stripping of the spur like that. Have you checked your bearings?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    I do not think a steel spur gear is needed. On my ERBE I hardly ever went through one. Getting your mesh set-up perfectly as well as your slipper is very important.

-Brett
    Maybe slipper too tight? Shouldn't really matter in the dirt I thought. Tires are going to slip right.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    A bad motor mount bearing or motor bearing will cause stripping of the spur like that. Have you checked your bearings?
    New bearing in the motor mount and everything seems smooth. I'm stumped, I mean I really think I spend more time verifying gear mesh than a lot of people.

RC Champion
    Gotta watch the motor bearings. I had the same problem using Castle and it was all worn motor bearings. New motor bearings and no more spur gear issues. I run ceramics in all my motors and check and replace regularly. Since I really started to pay close attention to motor bearings I haven't lost a spur gear in about a year.
    just a basher

If the bearings are good it has to be the mesh. In your second pic it looks like the pinion is only contacting 3/4 of the spur. My truck is 1 1/2 yrs old still running the original spur..it's been through the 3500 as well as a 2400,2700 and 2150kv motors on 2s,3s and 4s geared anywhere from 13/54 all the way up to the current 20/54.I also gave up trying the paper method.....I do mesh by feel. Good luck
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    If the bearings are good it has to be the mesh. In your second pic it looks like the pinion is only contacting 3/4 of the spur. My truck is 1 1/2 yrs old still running the original spur..it's been through the 3500 as well as a 2400,2700 and 2150kv motors on 2s,3s and 4s geared anywhere from 13/54 all the way up to the current 20/54.I also gave up trying the paper method.....I do mesh by feel. Good luck
    I hadn't taken anything apart yet and I went out about a half hour ago to begin. I set up some good light and noticed what you noticed that the pinion was not making full contact. Reached in with a small screwdriver and bam. The pinion came loose and walked up and down the shaft shearing of the spur. Got everything tore down and found the spur gear bearing is pretty rough.

Guess I wanted to make a mountain out of an ant hill

I'm weird I run and love my Robinson Racing metal slipper ..... I actually run them in different trucks.

Overkill in most situations . If you try to use a metal spur because you are tearing up stock ones, you will tear up the metal ones also. Mesh is critical, more so with metal hardened gears. I run RR due to my clutch setups and heat generated by them. I like big motors on 3s I don't replace shafts or gears, but I go thru Tmaxx brake pads as my clutch disc. Works well , I run in limerock and get boulders everywhere, they will eat a plastic spur.

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you are not a good candidate for needing a metal spur, you are a good candidate for needing to learn how to set you gear mesh, or replacing clearly worn parts

RC Competitor

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    you are not a good candidate for needing a metal spur, you are a good candidate for needing to learn how to set you gear mesh, or replacing clearly worn parts
    See post #11 I had the backhalf out not to long ago and checked the bearings and it was fine. I know gear mesh gear mesh. Like I said I use the paper method and spend a lot of time checking it before I roll but like stated, looks like the pinion came loose and did the damage on this one.
    Last edited by Luvnlife; 09-10-2016 at 09:53 PM.

RC Competitor
    OK got it back together. New plastic spur, new spur bearing which was bad, retightened the pinion with loctite, set the mesh by feel. Ran one 3s pack through it hard. At the end of the pack motor was 161 degrees and the mesh looked good. Thanks for the help guys.