RC poster

Spur Gear Failure

My friend and I both have XMaxxes that are less than a month old. We both now have had Spur Gear Failures from the self righting feature. We have replaced spurs 4 times between the two of us all of which failed 5 minutes after they were installed. Were not novices to RC cars and we followed traxxas' instructions for replacement. Has this happened to anyone else? We're both completely stock other than the Castle 2028 fan. I would like to keep running the plastic spur. Any ideas on how to fix the issue or if we're maybe doing something wrong would be appreciated.

RC Racer
    Try tighting the slipper slightly. It's likely slipping too much and generating enough heat to soften the plastic of the spur gear. Same thing was happening to me so I removed the slipper spring and replaced it with two small bearings and snugged it tight. Only problem now is I'm snapping drive pins, even aftermarket hardened ones, but not nearly as often as I was stripping spur gears.

Another thing worth trying is to tighen the four motor mount bolts underneath the truck in a criss-cross pattern until all are very snug. This is the only way to tighten the gear mesh with our fixed pin design.

RC poster
    At first it felt like maybe it was a meshing issue because it was almost instant. I will try tightening the slipper next time. Just kinda disappointing it keeps happing. I have been so impressed my by machine so far. I just wanna go run it but im waiting on parts now lol. Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Ive ruined 3 gears and my buddy has had two fail. Just like the pinion is straight up destroying them. Even with the pegs in the right position
    Last edited by Double G; 09-12-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MHart View Post
    My friend and I both have XMaxxes that are less than a month old. We both now have had Spur Gear Failures from the self righting feature. We have replaced spurs 4 times between the two of us all of which failed 5 minutes after they were installed. Were not novices to RC cars and we followed traxxas' instructions for replacement. Has this happened to anyone else? We're both completely stock other than the Castle 2028 fan. I would like to keep running the plastic spur. Any ideas on how to fix the issue or if we're maybe doing something wrong would be appreciated.
    I know how to fix your issue. It cost nothing.........walk over and flip your truck over with your hands. Self righting is retarded. It's A differential nightmare. The very physics behind self righting is destructive to planetary gears. I have a new XMaxx, with 17 packs through it, and have no diff issues. Yes I have rebuilt the diffs with proper fluid, but nothing else. Don't land jumps on power and never use self righting. Your diffs will last much longer.

Trout

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MHart View Post
    There's your issue right there using the self right mode. #1 It's really hard on your drive line I have had my X-MAXX NEW since April & I have NEVER EVER used the self right mode & I wont because of the violent nature the drive line goes through to self right it self. #2 You seem to put your X-MAXX on its ROOF a lot wile bashing where I am the opposite I always try to keep my X-MAXX on it's wheels. #3 I have NOT Striped a Spur or Pinion YET & still on my Factory Installed set since new.

RC poster
    Well. We havent used self righting since we stripped the first one. After replacement we just ran them through my friends yard and the gears just got demolished no diff damage or anything has occurrd. Just constant stripping of spur gears

The self righting thing is bad juju for diffs and other driveline parts.

Slipper too loose, tighten it down, back off 1/8th turn.

Make sure your mesh is right, don't just trust the motor pins, though I've yet to find them wrong, a proper mesh is critical.

Make sure it's using the whole tooth face.

I've put 20-30 packs thru mine and I'm still on the stock spur. Now running 8s on it too.
    Originate! Never Duplicate