RC Qualifier

Leaving the rig in a hot car on a summer day

Sooooo. down here in the south (houtson) where it is summer 3/4 of the year, and we see 100+ temps, a car can get to 170 or more in the sun. If i leave my rig in the car while at work on a hot day, will it affect the plastic parts, or blue locktight? (i usually bash on my lunch break, and after work while traffic dies down) or do the temps need to be much higher for things to start being affected? now that the main summer is almost over we may not see those super hot days, but second summer(fall for you northerners...) is coming and we may be in the 90's. just asking because i really want to procrastinate getting any work done today... i NEVER leave my lipos in the car... they come into my office with me and i am there while they charge directly under an overhead fire extinguisher just in case...
    Last edited by SL4SHGT8BASHER; 09-12-2016 at 08:31 AM.

RC Racer
    Up here in the North East Mass we had a couple of real hot days as well. I left mine in the car without and effects, but the lipo's went with me into the office. Kept car in the trunk and parked in shade, but it still got to be around 100 or so in trunk.
    Don't know if this helps but I got away with it.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for they reply. I've been ok all summer leaving the windows cracked in my highlander but some days I can't crack the Windows if there is a chance of rain. Then it doesn't rain and gets super hot. I'm sure it's fine,but maybe some other peeps on here that have a ton more experience than I do can chime in and be like "stop fussing and get to bashing noob"...

RC Enthusiast
    I'm in GA with similar temps. I take my lipos inside. Leave everything else in the trunk. Most times I take my charger in too, I just charge my batteries during the morning so they're ready for lunch break.

RC Qualifier
    probably no biggie, unless you live in death valley or something. i figure, it would be all over my gaggle search if it were a big deal...

I personally have left my truck in my truck on very hot days. Sometimes the performance is affected by all of the heat.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I live in Spain which is also 3/4 of the year summer and 100 degres +. I leave my rc's many times in the trunk of my car and have no problem. Even better, plastic softens so chasis is more flexible and doesnt crack that easily, just personal experience. In the 4 years i have been into rc's and left in the sun inside a car without any issues. But as you pointed out, batteries, chargers, remote and sometime tools come inside with me

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    | Slash 4x4 | Stampede 4x4 | E-Revo BL | RPM |

I've ever noticed any ill effects on my stuff other than a higher starting temp. Basically if your motor and ESC start at 120+ before you've driven at all it may overheat more quickly. (N Dallas here, technically a few degrees hotter than Houston usually, although this isn't bragging, it's miserable .... )

Batteries are going to be destroyed by very high (or low) temps vehicles experience sitting outside. I'm glad to see everyone who has posted mentions bringing them inside.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.