RC poster

T-maxx going electric. I searched but everything I can find is old old old.

Im an old fart, well just turned 45. I was getting camping gear out from my shed one day and stumbled upon my old T-maxx.
    I got it about 15-20 years ago and put TONS of money into it. Bought a Dynamite extended chassis which came with steel driveshafts and a .28 Motor. Hit the curb more than once, so I beefed everything that would break. I even have aluminum bulkheads that have the differential BUILT IN, sweet! Anyway, I had done so much work to it, I had forgotten at least HALF of what I did.
    So I gattered everything T-Maxx related that I could find and brought it inside.
    The hobby store that we had several years ago is long gone and the closest place for me to get Nitro for it is 2 hours away. I always hated trying to tune it, constantly dying, and it makes a mess of the chassis from the exhaust.

So I want to go electric. I start reading and what I have gathered is that I have a few options. I read that if you put a 1/8 scale motor in it, the transmission will die right away. So, robinson racing forward only conversion with steel gears is a must? Well, after disassembling the T-Maxx I decide to pull the tranny, and WOW, I have metal gears in there,, I forgot, its been so long. I found the RR package tags and what I have is 8525 Hardened 2-speed top shaft 17/22T, 8521 Alum 28/22T Forward primary and reverse. Then in my goodies I had more gears that I just installed. I dont know the names of all these OR what each gear does. So I need help here. I hope to include a pic in this post but being new I dont know if it is going to let me, or work. So I will include a link for sure.
    I also read that people have to lock the transmission in second gear because when the truck shifts, it sends the ESC into a fit and can burn it out. So with my metal gears, am I going to be able to lock into 2nd? How?

Ok, getting too long, but other option is getting a revo/e-maxx tranny? I have only ever owned the T-Maxx so I have no clue what is different. Is it alot stronger? I know they mount the same but the emaxx hangs lower, also, the emaxx manually shifts? That might be cool, but I would like to keep this on the cheap and if I can, use my tranny with these steel gears in it.

http://imgur.com/a/YYbhv
    The bag on the left is all the old gears that were taken out. The bottom right, I just added the two right most gears on that shaft, I already installed the left 2 gears years ago. When I opened the tranny, there was this sawdust looking stuff all over, I guess it, I guess I forgot to lube it years ago? But it was easy to clean.

Anyway, what I really want to do is just buy a 1/8 scale motor and esc and make my own bracket to hold it on, buy a battery and GO... Will this work, with the gears I have?
    Thanks for any help with this, its much appreciated..
    Last edited by Double G; 09-15-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: language violations

RC poster
    You know what? The ole lady let me know how she felt about me having any hobbies. So, I will not be doing anything with this.
    Nevermind.

You are better off just getting an electric instead of converting. It will be cheaper in the long run. There are no specific gains to converting the TMAXX to electric these days.... The older days there was not so much electric stuff out there and so there were more conversions going on. These days, just isn't worth it except for the pride of saying "look what I did"... Just don't mention that other part of how much time and money was spent doing it. Probably what your wife was thinking too.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindDude View Post
    You know what? The ole lady let me know how she felt about me having any hobbies. So, I will not be doing anything with this.
    Nevermind.
    Dude you are hilarious. I'm close to your age, I play the "its for the kid" angle (he's 7). So far Ive been cut off on our Amazon LoL

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Double G; 09-20-2016 at 05:18 PM. Reason: language
    Nitro junkie, but I dabble with electrics.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    You are better off just getting an electric instead of converting. It will be cheaper in the long run. There are no specific gains to converting the TMAXX to electric these days.... The older days there was not so much electric stuff out there and so there were more conversions going on. These days, just isn't worth it except for the pride of saying "look what I did"... Just don't mention that other part of how much time and money was spent doing it. Probably what your wife was thinking too.
    Yes, you are probably correct. So with what you suggested, I would buy myself an E-maxx chassis, with tranny and thats all I should need? Maybe custom length driveshafts? I already have steel driveshafts, axles, pretty much everything is beefed..
    If I do that, I see that they have mounting brackets to mount the Emaxx tranny to the t-maxx chassis. This might be cheeper? I would buy a new style emaxx tranny and those mounts, maybe driveshafts?...
    Man there are soooo many options.
    In your opinion, whould my tranny sell on ebay, or might that be useless to try?
    Thanks again.

Edit) After reading your post again, I think you meant just buy a brand new emaxx? I was thinking my bulkheads would just bolt up? I dunno, too many ways to do things. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by iBash27 View Post
    Dude you are hilarious. I'm close to your age, I play the "its for the kid" angle (he's 7). So far Ive been cut off on our Amazon LoL

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
    I tried but my daughter isnt interested (15) and my son (19) has down syndrome, and the tmaxx would be a deadly weapon in his hands.. lol
    Last edited by BlindDude; 10-01-2016 at 04:06 PM.

RC poster
    OMG this is a bummer..
    If I choose the "just buy an E-Maxx tranny, here it is.
    189.90 Mamba Monster 2 Motor and esc
    28.95 New emaxx tranny mounts to fit t-maxx chassis
    45.00 New E-Maxx brushless transmission
    32.00 Robinson Racing spur gear and slipper
    12.50 Robinson Racing pinon gear
    16.50 Brushless motor mount with gear cover
    60.00 lipo - 5000mah
    174.99 Powerlab 6 charger

559.84!!!!
    Brand new Emaxx brushless on ebay, 599.99, with all the bells and whisltes.. Even an app for your phone? Dang.

I think I will try to find just a first generation motor mount that I think will fit on my tmaxx tranny and a cheaper/smaller motor and esc and just go from there???

This sucks. I've spent over 1500 on this darn tmaxx, years ago. Seems like if I were to just toss the whole shabang in the trash, I would be saving myself alot of money and hassle.

There are certain brand names that cannot be mentioned here and trip the language filter. Edit your post when the language filter has removed a word.
    Last edited by Double G; 10-02-2016 at 08:40 PM.

RC poster
    You know what.

I believe I will just put everything back together and next time I'm out of town, buy a bottle of Nitro.
    I've got a fairly new Mach 28 .26 motor with extended chassis and EVERYTHING that power breaks in metal.
    I cant seem to find any bulkheads like mine. They are aluminium with the differential built all in one piece.
    http://imgur.com/Y6R2fkn

Wish me luck?
    Cheers.

RC poster
    Just my opinion but I would say Strap a Motor/esc and battery on that thing and let her rip ! If something breaks worry about it then, my grandpa told me a long time ago dont fix it if it is not broke. And trust me the new ones are no where near as durable as some of the hop ups you have two peice aluminum bulks aluminum chassis metal cvd and metal gear tranny. Almost done with mine just waiting on the 5mm turnbuckles to get here.
    https://puu.sh/rvEhQ/41b2096713.jpg

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxicodendron View Post
    Just my opinion but I would say Strap a Motor/esc and battery on that thing and let her rip ! If something breaks worry about it then, my grandpa told me a long time ago dont fix it if it is not broke. And trust me the new ones are no where near as durable as some of the hop ups you have two peice aluminum bulks aluminum chassis metal cvd and metal gear tranny. Almost done with mine just waiting on the 5mm turnbuckles to get here.
    https://puu.sh/rvEhQ/41b2096713.jpg
    Looks nice! Thanks for the PM and info.

Yep, dont fix what aint broke.. Going to put it all back together and I have lost ONE piece. The brake piston.. crap. Going to order a new one that comes with brake pads, screws which I dont need for 3 bucks.. Shipping is 5..
    Last edited by Double G; 10-03-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDude View Post
    Looks nice! Thanks for the PM and info.

Yep, dont fix what aint broke.. Going to put it all back together and I have lost ONE piece. The brake piston.. crap. Going to order a new one that comes with brake pads, screws which I dont need for 3 bucks.. Shipping is 5..
    Use longer screws, double up the old pads with the new ones and file down the flat side of the brake piston a little to make up the difference in clearance, then cut two pieces of a ball point pen spring to fit in between the brake pades holding them open but allosing them to close all the way.... End result, you will stop on a dime and your brake disc will last longer. This is the Misbehavin' brake upgrade for the Black Transmission braking system... Never needed anything else, I actually have to back off the amount of brake pull on my servo or it will flip back if you jam them hard enough.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Use longer screws, double up the old pads with the new ones and file down the flat side of the brake piston a little to make up the difference in clearance, then cut two pieces of a ball point pen spring to fit in between the brake pades holding them open but allosing them to close all the way.... End result, you will stop on a dime and your brake disc will last longer. This is the Misbehavin' brake upgrade for the Black Transmission braking system... Never needed anything else, I actually have to back off the amount of brake pull on my servo or it will flip back if you jam them hard enough.
    Hey, Thank you for that tip.

I havent had any trouble with braking. I already upgraded to something better than stock,, actually have 3 different braking options. But if I ever find that I am having trouble with stopping, I will try your tip.

Thanks again.