Bearing Stuck in Motor

So my Vxl motor had a bearing destroyed in one end of the rotor. I bought the rebuild kit and now I can't seem to get the outer edge of the bearing out. What do you think I should do?

Also is it bad that those motor wires are frayed?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

RC Qualifier
    It looks to me some of the winding has come undone. In my opinion it's toast. Buy a new one.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

Depending how new it is, it may still be covered under the full replacement warranty. No matter the age of the motor Traxxas will warranty exchange it for around $40.00.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I do not want to buy a new motor right now. It still works great. Do you have any solution? Will WD-40 hurt the motor?

RC Qualifier
    You don't have much choice as far as I can tell. You say it works great, if so what's the issue? I wouldn't spray WD40 into motor. Put new bearing in, if needed, most are sealed bearing anyway, if you want to clean it use Electric Parts cleaner
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ljl23 View Post
    I do not want to buy a new motor right now. It still works great. Do you have any solution? Will WD-40 hurt the motor?
    The rotor probably destroyed the winding when the bearing blew.

To remove the rest of the bearing, I would use a puller. I doubt you have many choices.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The wires aren't supposed to be cut like that

That motor's stator is shot. I advise you to not use it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

There was absolutley no issue until the bearing blew. The the rotor would not spin easily and it would jam up. So now all of these things are just all of a sudden broken? What is a stator? I'm getting quite upset with the response. How do you get this bearing out. I did not ask of you to tell me that my motor is broken.

RC Champion
    There was absolutley no issue until the bearing blew. The the rotor would not spin easily and it would jam up. So now all of these things are just all of a sudden broken? What is a stator? I'm getting quite upset with the response. How do you get this bearing out. I did not ask of you to tell me that my motor is broken.
    Use a puller to pull the bearing (what's left of it) out. There are small ones designed for just that.

The stator is the part that has the winding where the current go through to make the rotor spin.

You don't have to be upset, we are trying to save you from any future troubles... With the state if the winding of the stator, we can tell you the motor is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    Use a puller to pull the bearing (what's left of it) out. There are small ones designed for just that.

The stator is the part that has the winding where the current go through to make the rotor spin.

You don't have to be upset, we are trying to save you from any future troubles... With the state if the winding of the stator, we can tell you the motor is shot.

So, if my motor is shot, what kind of 'shot' is it? Will it just not run at all? or will it not have efficient power delivery so it won't go as fast or has as much torque? Or will it blow up eventually?

And yet the bearing did break and when it grenaded, it damaged the stator - the stationary part containing the windings and the part which the electricity flows creating an electromagnet in three phases or coils and thus reacting with the magnets in the rotor and causing the motor shaft to turn. A short in the coils could cause catastrophic failure, but you're not worried about that because you are UPSET WITH THE RESPONSE!
    Tough - your motor is broken. Not telling you this or telling you otherwise would be an unconscionable dereliction of our responsibility to the community.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-18-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    And yet the bearing did break and when it grenaded, it damaged the stator - the stationary part containing the windings and the part which the electricity flows creating an electromagnet in three phases or coils and thus reacting with the magnets in the rotor and causing the motor shaft to turn. A short in the coils could cause catastrophic failure, but you're not worried about that because you are UPSET WITH THE RESPONSE!
    Tough - your motor is broken. Not telling you this or telling you otherwise would be an unconscionable dereliction of our responsibility to the community.
    Sorry. I was just a little upset. I'll look into replacements.
    Last edited by ljl23; 09-18-2016 at 10:14 PM.

RC Champion
    Well, the worse case would be the motor catching fire, burning down the whole neighborhood.

Honestly, I have no idea what could happen. I think it will catch fire, but it may just not work. No body can be sure what will happen until you try it.

Not only are you denying reality regarding your motor, but your characterization of what is happening here is delusional.
    How long will it take to save up for a new motor AND a new ESC? How about a new motor AND a new ESC AND a new battery AND a new truck? Your ability to pay for a replacement has absolutely no bearing on this situation. What does have a bearing on the situation is that you could lose more than just a motor. Exactly where did anyone call anybody else disrespectful? Did you just pull that out of the air?
    How old is the motor? Is there a possibility that it is under warranty? Are you willing to call Traxxas and plead your case? If so, I suggest you not start out with, "I'm upset..."

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Not only are you denying reality regarding your motor, but your characterization of what is happening here is delusional.
    How long will it take to save up for a new motor AND a new ESC? How about a new motor AND a new ESC AND a new battery AND a new truck? Your ability to pay for a replacement has absolutely no bearing on this situation. What does have a bearing on the situation is that you could lose more than just a motor. Exactly where did anyone call anybody else disrespectful? Did you just pull that out of the air?
    How old is the motor? Is there a possibility that it is under warranty? Are you willing to call Traxxas and plead your case? If so, I suggest you not start out with, "I'm upset..."

eh, what do we know? we are just some know nothing, fools on an internet forum.......
    Last edited by jimbo74; 09-18-2016 at 11:18 PM.

So, if my motor is shot, what kind of 'shot' is it? Will it just not run at all? or will it not have efficient power delivery so it won't go as fast or has as much torque? Or will it blow up eventually?
    A number of years ago I had my Velineon motor "go" like this when I was running it and unfortunately the first thing I knew about it was when it stopped dead and the Esc suddenly went up in smoke. Completely shorted out the esc and melted the power wires off of the pcb.

In all I was out a motor and an esc, and if I'm honest with myself I think it was 100% my fault for letting the motor overheat on the previous run. However the very next thing I bought, after a new motor & Esc, was a temperature gun!

So, from my experience I would say, no don't even take the risk of powering up the motor.
    Seek forgiveness, not permission

Caveat lector!

RC Qualifier
    Well this got out of hand lol. Yes the windings are shot/broke, obviously from the picture. If you can even get the stator back in their, it will probably not even work. Thus wasting your time replacing the bearings and cause more frustration. I work with electric motors often and I can tell you that you need a new motor.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

Ok. I don't want to ruin my esc. I think I'll call traxxas and see if I get a replacement. If not, should I buy a new vxl motor, or find something else? My motor and esc were the 2nd generation traxxas vxl, the 2 pole motor, and the esc is without the ID connector. I heard that the 4 pole motor will work with the older esc, but new esc's won't work with the old motors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I believe it's opposite of that.....the 4 pole motor needs the newer 4 pole vxl esc. The older 2 pole motor can be run with either the newer or older (4 pole/2 pole) vxl esc). I'm thinking if you have the 2nd generation motor/esc, it may be 4 pole. Does your esc have 3 capacitors visible on it. If it does, then it is the 4 pole version, if not, it is the older 2 pole version. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by apaulo1367 View Post
    I believe it's opposite of that.....the 4 pole motor needs the newer 4 pole vxl esc. The older 2 pole motor can be run with either the newer or older (4 pole/2 pole) vxl esc). I'm thinking if you have the 2nd generation motor/esc, it may be 4 pole. Does your esc have 3 capacitors visible on it. If it does, then it is the 4 pole version, if not, it is the older 2 pole version. Hope this helps.
    This is 100% correct, maybe look at a 2400/2650/2700kv 4-pole motor, as these will mostly be cheaper than another 3500 vxl although you need to be aware that the motor shaft on these may be 5mm rather than the 3.2mm you currently have and will therefore need suitable pinion gears.
    Seek forgiveness, not permission

Caveat lector!

RC Competitor
    From the pic, it looks like the bearing outer race is all thats left. I dont think you can use a puller for that since you cant push on anything from the outside hole.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
    Nitro junkie, but I dabble with electrics.