RC Racer

Red face New Member with a few Changes to Body

Decided to put some extra protection by adding a front and rear rubber bumper. It is stuck on with tape. I painted the adhesive tape as some was exposed. Bumper is between wheels, not all way across.
    Added a thin chrome piece to mid-upper body from front to back.
    Also noticed body on side was short, was above the frame, so I added a decal folded back on itself and to existing body for extra length.
    I just got this as a good reason to go out and enjoy.
    First image is stock, rest are my changes.

[img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    Last edited by BigAL12; 09-19-2016 at 01:42 PM.

RC Racer

Lightbulb

Going to RE-DO Front bumper and make it go all the way across to protect front end when wheels crash in to things. I Just found a nice small piece of black plastic angle today to attach that rubber D bumper. However, I need to build it out a bit for clearance. More than likely using PL Premium glue.
    Last edited by BigAL12; 09-20-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Qualifier
    Interesting concept on the bumper protector. Could have used that when my son got his truck.
    --------------------
    MizzouMan2000
    ---Go Tigers!

RC Racer

Thumbs up Done Front Bumper

Got it done, just waiting for it to completely dry before painting. Found some plastic feet from a VCR Player and removed cushions. Drilled 2 small holes on flat part of bumper (not much there). Screwed and glued the feet with #6 x 3/4" long screws. PL Premium glue. The angle is plastic and is from corner trim for a speaker box (had it left over). Stuck the rubber to angle but first cut back angle on bottom for more cushioning possibilty and made it wider than Teton to protect steering & suspension (now tire won't crash into wall, the bumper absorbs it). Found some stuff to prop bumper up in place and glued it. Now waiting til tomorrow morning to paint flat black.
    The angle is better than flat bar for strength, and plastic for weight saving.
    May have to put stiffer springs.
    Now have clearance for steering and bigger tires!
    My Teton Pics Album

Last edited by BigAL12; 09-21-2016 at 10:22 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
    Rofl! That is the goofiest thing I've ever seen! Ha ha ha!!!

I mean if it works, more power to ya, but MAN does it look bad!!!
    It's FREE, not painted yet, but will offer great cushioning and protection for vehicle. It's better than just some flat weatherstripping across a piece of plastic. I know I'm not gonna win a beauty contest but mine will have best safety rating! I like the "D" shape, but it is a bit big.

RC Racer

Smile Done Painting

Done painting Front custom bumper with flat black and a small brush. No need to paint the actual "D" cushion. Bumper is holding good. Adhesive, glue & angle piece painted no problem. I did pre-sand with 320. No more fear of banging in to walls, etc..

Last edited by BigAL12; 09-22-2016 at 10:35 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    The bumpers are knarly! Great work man!

RC Racer

Arrow Bumper Re-inforcement

After a few crashes (steering was unresponsive from 100-150 ft, even with 2 day old AA new batteries in transmitter).
    I noticed bumper was sagging a bit and the upright bars behind the mount was flexing easy. I had to re-inforce this area with another piece of plastic and mount it to the 2 uprights making sure I was below the cross brace and to my bumper extension mount.
    The things I have to do to protect suspension/steering is very time consuming. It's too bad the original bumper isn't wide enough.

🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer
    I support and admire what you've done no matter how absurd we scalers find it to be haha. To me rc is all about trial and error engineering and fabrication, good job finding a way around your Teton issues!

RC Racer

Unhappy Glue NOT Sticking

The last white piece of plastic did not hold, lost in underground parking. I had another one and re-glued it but the PL Premium glue is not adhering properly to the uprights or this plastic piece even after scraping/sanding. I think since the uprights are flexible the plastic may not be PL Premium friendly.
    So I decided to wrap the uprights and this piece of plastic totally in a lot of PL Premium glue. I also extended glue further down to bottom.
    I don't need uprights to flex, that's the job of the "D" weatherstrpping bumper!

🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer
    I'd use screws and nuts to fix it in place, if you have any extras laying around

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrallyisfaster View Post
    I'd use screws and nuts to fix it in place, if you have any extras laying around
    Not really enough meat there on uprights, plus had to fill in gap above white plastic piece as plastic white piece is not parallel to my bumper extension (to give more support). The uprights are at about 60 degree angle to bumper.
    I did screw the bumper extension (VCR Feet) to front of Teton bumper before.
    Plus it's too late now!
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer
    Usually the best mod is the one that gets you driving sooner, I relearn that every time I overhaul my sst haha

RC Racer

Thumbs down

Bumper fell off again after a few good hits but especially went hit from angle. PL Premium not sticking to my black plastic angle piece, even after sanding and letting dry for almost 2 days. There is only couple of specs of glue on that angle piece.
    PL Premium is sticking to my VCR Feet Bumper Extensions. Sanded both again. This time Glued with 10 drops of KRAZY Glue!
    I can't screw it on (to Myrallyisfaster)! Screws are already holding VCR Feet to stock bumper and glued from behind!
    See what happens next time! May have to try different glue!
    Success or Fail, I will always share so you don't make same mistake I did! I am giving you honest Feedback! I doubt many others would do this.
    Also found a lot of hair wrapped around output before wheels on 1 side of front. Gonna take off all wheels and remove hair. Hopefully this is my steering issue.
    While tires off there gonna get cleaned!
    Last edited by BigAL12; 10-06-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: clean tires
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer
    The KRAZY Glue was good for about 6 crashes, last one in to my feet when bumper came off.
    Went to local RONA store and bought JB Weld Epoxy for $12. (Applications were on back and I put this lower left of pic).
    Scraped/cut/ground/sanded about half the PL Premium between bumper and bottom brace to expose that white plastic piece on 1 side.
    Myrallyisfaster was in my head about screwing it, so I had an idea. I found some screws and used the other 2 bigger holes in original Teton bumper and screwed to my angle. I started the screws, applied the Epoxy and then tightened it. I applied more Epoxy to fill gap from white plastic to bottom brace of Teton. This was done in a few applications to build it up. The Epoxy is a bit runny at first (watch not to get on suspension -- I had removed the shocks). If you wait 3 minutes or so before applying it thickens a bit as it starts to gel semi-hard in about 5 mins, but is lumpy (not caring).
    Hope this works!

Last edited by BigAL12; 10-09-2016 at 09:32 AM.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer

Top Bumper Good, Transmitter Range is Not Good

After 6-10 Crashes Bumper is still on there! However, on straight head on hard hit the bumper tilts upwards and JB Weld Epoxy not adhering to bottom end. The top part is now solid. I just added more JB Weld Epoxy glue at bottom.
    Also notice again Range is only 40 yards (in open area behind school, I walked it off). I also drive in the underground parking garage (lots of concrete walls and posts) and when it goes out of range, a crash happens as steering is not responsive (hence the bumpers). Alkaline Energizer AA Batteries only used 10-12 times. I have noticed the receiver antenna is very short (less than 1 inch) and under a rubber cap in middle front of top of chassis by ESC.
    Last edited by BigAL12; 10-15-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: JB Weld Epoxy
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer

Lightbulb Range Interference from Camera, Apartment Pass

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL12 View Post
    Also notice again Range is only 40 yards (in open area behind school, I walked it off). I also drive in the underground parking garage (lots of concrete walls and posts) and when it goes out of range, a crash happens as steering is not responsive (hence the bumpers). Alkaline Energizer AA Batteries only used 10-12 times. I have noticed the receiver antenna is very short (less than 1 inch) and under a rubber cap in middle front of top of chassis by ESC.
    I decided to leave my Samsung ST200 point and shoot camera at home. I noticed Transmitting Range was really good from 1 end to other of underground parking. Previously I had my camera in my top shirt pocket close to my transmitter. This could be an issue but couldn't find frequency. I did find this: "Your camera emits radio frequency (RF) signals that may interfere with unshielded or improperly shielded electronic equipment, such as pacemakers, hearing aids, medical devices, and other electronic devices in homes or vehicles, Maintain a minimum of 15 cm between this camera and all pacemakers to avoid potential interference". Good thing I don't have heart issues, yet!
    I also carry a transmitter that let's me in to underground parking and front security door that I carry in pants front pocket. I may have to leave this in car as well. But I can't really leave car remote in car! (I could as i have extra key, but if found, bye bye car!). What about Cell Phone? I don't have one!
    Have whacked car good a couple times (my fault-not transmitter) and the more added epoxy to bottom area seemed to help.
    Last edited by BigAL12; 10-18-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: car remote?
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer

Thumbs down Bumper Fell OFF

Front Bumper thing not working out. It keeps coming apart. I have recently glued it with Permatex Gasket Maker Black Silicone. I also noticed both uprights on Teton Stock Bumper (Bumper # 7635) are thin and very flexible. There is not much support, and the stock upper bumper separated from the flimsy uprights causing the bumper to fall off. I also did not like how close the stock bumper is to body, which has damaged my body (covered with decal).
    I am trying something different, will post at a later date in a new thread as I use Teton in undeground parking with many concrete structures and protection for tires, shocks, suspension, steering is very important to me. I have bent a shock just from crashing tire in to my foot. It is important the bumper must go all the way across, as crashing tire in to concrete corner will do damage. Plan C.

🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴